Viewing 40 posts - 57,241 through 57,280 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • rone

Absolutely. And James O’Brien has been a consistent heavy-handed critic too over the last few weeks.

Whether it means nothing at all it’s still interesting watching the polls, and Twitter celebs eat themselves.

theotherjonv

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46847169

“Blocking Brexit could incite far-right extremism, warns Grayling”

Ooh, I know this one. We shout “Project Fear,  we don’t listen to experts any more” don’t we?

nickjb
    Free Member

Would it incite the far right more than enabling brexit has?

athgray
    Free Member

So the best way to prevent far right extremism is to appease it by giving it what it wants?

fadda

No, we treat it like a naughty child and show it that this is not the way to get what you want…

Edit: or ignore it, because what it wants is unicorns…

Cougar

Because it doesn’t makes financial sense currently.

And why do you suppose that might be?

mattyfez

That’s a bit like saying the only way to avoid being raped is to give consent.

What a disgusting specimen.

thepurist

Of course graylings concern with the rise of the far right is that they’ll be recruiting from the right of the tory party, weakening them in some areas (as ukip was starting to) and making it harder for them to cling to power.

On the other hand if brexit does happen there could be an equal number of pro European tories who will be looking for someone else to vote for, thereby weakening the tory vote in key areas and making it harder for them to cling to power.

Nice work Dave.

cheers_drive

It was market day today and at the was a chart in market square inviting people to firstly put a sticker on May’s deal, no deal, or cancel Brexit. Secondly decided by the government, parlement, or the people’s vote.
    The cancel Brexit box was almost full, no deal 1/3 full. 1 sticker in May’s.
    People’s vote was the overwhelming winner for the second part.
    Our constituency was 60% leave in the referendum. Of course it changes nothing but it made me feel a bit better about where I live.

dazh

Neil Warnock makes his pitch for gammon leadership. “To hell with the rest of the world!”

dannyh
    Free Member

Now seems an apt time to point out that Neil Warnock is an anagram of Colin W***er.

Obviously the swear filter won’t let appear properly, but you don’t need to be Alan Turing to work it out.

binners

Talking of footy, Pinaars Politics just interviewed both Iain Duncan Smith and Jamie Caarragher on the subject of Brexit. One of them made considerably more sense on the subject than the other. I’ll leave you to guess which

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Does that mean Jamie is going to moved from BT? Given he has been unable to complete a sentence on live football without contradicting himself he might just have found his calling

binners

At least he’s not Steve McMannoman though Mike.

Iain Duncan Smith was doing his usual. When those pesky inconvenient ‘facts’ were pointed out to him, he just airily dismissed them and assured everyone that a no deal scenario would be just fine and dandy. Well, I’m sure it will be for you Iain, but not so sure most of the rest of us, devoid as we are of bottomless riches, would be quite so good.

Another thing thats so depressing about him and his ilk is they talk about things purely in financial terms. No mention whatsoever of all the otehr important stuff. Its all just about money.

dogbone

Mr. Duncan lives in a house worth £1 million given to him by his father in law.

dannyh
    Free Member

Its all just about money.

Ultimately, though, it is. No Deal will cripple the UK financially. Long term NHS plan? Rip it up, won’t be possible.

Coppers on the street to arrest thugs harassing MPs, Muslim women, whoever? Sorry, austerity cuts were nothing compared to this.

Literally everything depends on it. Not least the mollycoddled lifestyles of a lot of people who voted Leave. In a global sense, we live massively beyond our means, leaving takes away a lot of that protection.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They had a quote from my parents MP for North Northumberland, “May’s deal is a failure, we can’t vote for it. But a no deal with the appropriate planned stuff (you know idiot bollocks) will be much better” Deluded, utterly uninformed and borderline dangerous.

I hope that we can get no deal finished off next week, it’s needs to be off the table.

convert

Literally everything depends on it. Not least the mollycoddled lifestyles of a lot of people who voted Leave.

The Brexiteers I loath most (MIL & FIL, I’m looking at you) are the older racist stains on the planet that say it’s not about the money, it’s bigger than that but when pressed feel no need to forgo their triple lock pensions and allow their financial future to ebb and flow post brexit along with their teenage grandkid. Will not shed a tear when they pop their clogs, hopfilly sooner rather than later.

Klunk
    Free Member

going by the dailywail comments it’s not racist it’s freedom of speech.

dannyh
    Free Member

going by the dailywail comments it’s not racist it’s freedom of speech.

Well it would be, wouldn’t it?

Tiresome shite from a disgusting rag targeted at the hard of thinking.

captmorgan
    Free Member

#proud2bebritish
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-46836957
    No really it’s not…

Edukator
    Free Member

Isn’t it exciting, two days to back to square one.

If this post appears twice it’s not my fault right, it’s just vanished without trace so I’m trying again.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

If it all ends up with the U.K. staying in the EU after all, are we allowed to say to the wreckers “You lost. Get over it”? 😜

zippykona

How will the removal of mainland workers affect the pensions black hole?
    How many years extra will I have to work to pay for this debacle?
    We have already seen the use of “emergency powers” to fund bungs for donors . I’m sure we will see many more such emergencies.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The only thing the Brexiters have left is leave or we kill democracy, they can’t find a single positive message to sell either this deal or brexit to the people or parliament.

zippykona
    Poopscoop

If this is democracy, this is what we are seeking to protect by honouring Brexit then perhaps China has a bloody point.

As you say Mike, what a utterly hollow and last resort way of trying to flog a dead horse that’s already been tinned and eaten by dogs.

Cougar

Dogs have tin openers?

The only thing the Brexiters have left is leave or we kill democracy, they can’t find a single positive message to sell either this deal or brexit to the people or parliament.

You forget, it’s the will of the people.

kerley
    Free Member

For some reason I don’t mix with any people that are Brexiters but speaking to Father in law at weekend (who has some Brexiter pensioner friends) they have admitted that they didn’t realise it would be this hard, such a big impact and no longer think it is that good an idea so not fussed if it now doesn’t happen.

I would guess quite a few of the Leave voters probably think this, even if they wouldn’t want to admit it, and the real brexiters would be those kicking off, joining UKIP etc,. just as they did before

richmtb

Its bizzare that May seems to be using the prospect of Remain as some sort of threat. She is completely deluded

Half the country (and it will now be at least half) will be absolutely delighted if this doesn’t go ahead.

The other half won’t be pleased by anything as their version of Brexit doesn’t exist.

So why not delight half the country rather than appease the other lot who’ll never be satisfied anyway.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Mrs May will say: “I ask MPs to consider the consequences of their actions on the faith of the British people in our democracy.
    “Imagine if an anti-devolution House of Commons had said to the people of Scotland or Wales that despite voting in favour of a devolved legislature, Parliament knew better and would overrule them. Or else force them to vote again.

Hmm, that analogy would work if it was the EU telling us what to do. But it’s not.

“What if we found ourselves in a situation where Parliament tried to take the UK out of the EU in opposition to a remain vote?

Near as damnit is the situation.

dazh

That’s hardly a surprise is it? Despite everyone frothing about failing Grayling’s hamfisted attempt to warn about the far right, he has a point. The far right have already captured the disillusioned working/non-working class and have successfully persuaded them to vote against their own interests. Should brexit be cancelled they’ll mobilise that support to create all manner of chaos and trouble.

It’s all very well we in the middle classes patronisingly lecturing the oiks about how they’ve been conned by the far right ultras, but what we don’t accept or realise is that they don’t care. From their point of view they are putting the boot into the middle class metropolitan pinko politically correct elite and they have nothing left to lose.

kelvin

Imagine if an anti-devolution House of Commons had said to the people of Scotland or Wales that despite voting in favour of a devolved legislature, Parliament knew better and would overrule them.

Oh, the irony. Conservative MPs said exactly that.

Should brexit be cancelled they’ll mobilise that support to create all manner of chaos and trouble.

Ignoring that, if we have Brexit, and it isn’t the Brexit they voted for, exactly the same pressures will be at play.

dazh

Ignoring that, if we have Brexit, and it isn’t the Brexit they voted for, exactly the same pressures will be at play.

It will, yes. But in the minds of the brexit-supporting working class white man, it will be the middle class chattering classes in the big cities who will suffer most, so why should they care?

scotroutes

“Imagine if an anti-devolution House of Commons had said to the people of Scotland or Wales that despite voting in favour of a devolved legislature, Parliament knew better and would overrule them.

Would that be the same Theresa May who voted against the establishment of a Welsh Assembly after the Welsh had voted for it?

kelvin

why should they care?

You miss my point, the “betrayal” and “ignored” narratives that will (not might) add fuel to the rise of the far right in Britain are already being framed so that they can be used whether we leave or not. Check out the Facebook ads being targeted at May and her deal. She is being betrayed as a traitor, and a target, just as much as any politican seeking to stop or delay Brexit.

doris5000

Imagine if an anti-devolution House of Commons had said to the people of Scotland or Wales that despite voting in favour of a devolved legislature, Parliament knew better and would overrule them.

Oh, the irony. Conservative MPs said exactly that.

Indeed. Theresa May (and David Davies, and plenty of other Champions Of The Will Of The People) voted against implementing it at the time, and then the Tory manifesto in 2005 contained a pledge to stage – what’s this? – only a second referendum!

more details in this thread:

She’s a barefaced **** liar. How she has the gall to stand up in public and spout this kind of shit is beyond me.

dissonance

Conservative MPs said exactly that.

In the case of Wales they didnt just say that but also voted against the WILL OF THE PEOPLE.

so why should they care?

I dont think that was the point being made. It doesnt matter what happens. If you bow to their demands they will keep demanding more and blame the traitors/enemies of the people for the mess and there will be a mess if their dreams are met.
    Sooner or later will need to stand up to them.

GrahamS

Its bizzare that May seems to be using the prospect of Remain as some sort of threat.

Her and Jeremy C Hunt have both done this in the past week.

A cynical part of me read it as: “Oh no, please don’t vote against this. That would mean we’d have an excuse to cancel this almighty clusterfart brexit. I’ve left the proposal on your desk and highlighted the bits that would be really bad if you voted against. Wink.”

Viewing 40 posts - 57,241 through 57,280 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.