Viewing 40 posts - 57,281 through 57,320 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • oldnpastit

Well this is hiliarous.

On the one hand, Theresa May is claiming that Parliament respected the result of the Welsh referendum, even though it had a wafer thin majority.

And the on the other hand, it turns out that she, and all the usual Brexit loons, voted against it, and campaigned to have it repealed, coming out with all sorts of hilarious quotes.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1084607886095982592.html

You couldn’t make this stuff up.

molgrips
    Free Member

Imagine if an anti-devolution House of Commons had said to the people of Scotland or Wales that despite voting in favour of a devolved legislature, Parliament knew better and would overrule them. Or else force them to vote again

So what if they did ask us to vote again? Who cares? It’s still the will of the people isn’t it? By definition.

amedias
    Free Member

dazh

You miss my point, the “betrayal” and “ignored” narratives that will (not might) add fuel to the rise of the far right in Britain are already being framed so that they can be used whether we leave or not.

Yeah ok, missed that bit. I agree, the genie is already out of the bottle. I have/had huge reservations about another referendum or cancelling brexit for fear of where it might lead. But given that the far right forces are already in play the only thing left is to fight them so it makes little sense to give them exactly what they want. It’s going to be an interesting few years.

slowoldman

So to avoid trouble we appease the far right? Yeah that generally plays out well.

dazh

So to avoid trouble we appease the far right? Yeah that generally plays out well.

If that was in reply to me that’s not what I said. The very opposite in fact. The most effective way of doing that though is to cut off their support. You’ll only do that by improving the lives of those at the bottom who are drawn to them.

So far the anti-brexit narrative has been driven by the very people who the working classes despise. The people who the far right are depending on will never be persuaded by the likes of Anna Soubry, Ken Clarke, Tony Blair and Vince Cable.

Cougar

The thing you have to remember about any potential “trouble” is, the gammons are so very very loud but there’s about six of them.

A fun game I’ve started playing over on that Facebook is “guess what they look like from their posts.” Clicking through to their profile, a great many conform to stereotype. Aside from the occasional grannie, if your opening gambit is “Eric Pickles or Ronnie Pickering in about 15 years’ time, wearing a football shirt despite not having kicked a ball in 40 years” then you rarely go far wrong. They’re all keyboard warriors and Internet hard men, but the only trouble they’re going have is seeing their willy when they go for a wee or being late to collect their pension.

Cougar

So far the anti-brexit narrative has been driven by the very people who the working classes despise.

And yet the pro-brexit leaders are relateable, down-to-Earth working-class people like Boris, JRM and IDS. #CouldntMakeItUp

cchris2lou

Did she drop the Welsh bit from her speech?

MrSparkle

She has now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have/had huge reservations about another referendum or cancelling brexit for fear of where it might lead.

Coversely, I think the reaction and subsequent fall out will be utterly hilarious.

cchris2lou

Any currency experts in?
    We booked a holiday which needs to be paid in English pounds but I need to transfer the money from France.
    Is the pound going to drop a bit more tomorrow if the deal is rejected?

anagallis_arvensis

When are the adults working behind the scenes going to jump out and save us?

dazh

And yet the pro-brexit leaders are relateable, down-to-Earth working-class people like Boris, JRM and IDS

True, but the difference between this motley crew and Soubry et al is that they understand propaganda and are prepared to lie through their teeth to tell the proles what they want to hear. It’s not exactly unprecendented for the lower classes to be taken in by snake oil salesmen with dishonourable intentions is it?

sobriety
    Free Member

It depends. if it’s approved I’m fairly sure it’ll tank, depending on whether the markets think rejection = no deal brexit or no brexit at all, it’ll tank or surge, I reckon.

Edit: and if she bottles it again and cancels the vote the who knows?

jimdubleyou

Talk was of pound being boosted by the deal failing, as it means leaving is less likely.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We booked a holiday which needs to be paid in English pounds but I need to transfer the money from France.

Usual currency advice, are you happy with the price, how much change can you absorb and still be happy?

slowoldman

If that was in reply to me that’s not what I said

No dazh, not a direct reply to you, just an observation on what’s being said by the likes Grayling and now May with her “trust in politics would suffer catastrophic harm”.

sobriety
    Free Member

trust in politics would suffer catastrophic harm

Yeah, that ship has already sailed.

slowoldman

Yeah, that ship has already sailed.

…and it’s parliament not the government attempting to repair the damage.

PrinceJohn

View this post on Instagram

Protest number 2…

A post shared by Zach (@zach1977) on

Today I met Steve.
    There’s loads more remain protesters than leave. And amusingly both sides have signs up saying to toot if you support them.
    And there’s an empty leave means leave bus driving about.

mattyfez

Tory whip Gareth Johnson has resigned apparently..

cchris2lou

The currency fluctuation are not huge but would be happy to save a little if I can.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well the threats are out there, block the deal and end up with no Brexit, now we wouldn’t want that now would we.

Can I play poker with the 4th choice substitute brexit sec?

bruneep

Top trolling going on now

cheers_drive

That ^ had to be done on purpose!

kelvin

Satire is over.

kelvin

The delay in seeing posts results in so much double posting of info, and confused out of sequence conversations. Why set the cache this way? Frustrating. Fine for super slow threads (which this one is unlikely to be this week).

Cougar

Really? There’s no posting delay that I’m aware of, there’s an editing delay sometimes but it’s about 15 seconds.

You know the forum pages you’re viewing don’t automatically refresh, yes? Can’t offhand think of any forum I use which does.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Some warn you new replies have come in before you hit post but generally no, they tend not to auto refresh.

Cougar

Good point.

Cougar
    Cougar

This is interesting.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-01-14/the-economic-damage-of-brexit-in-charts

If we ever needed any compelling arguments to convince the xenophobes, it’s in that Border Control graph. Look at the middle one.

(Also, I predicted this two years ago…)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I assumed it was Photoshopped, but…

I thought it said no food no kleenex tissues, bad handwriting there. The tunndel makes mose sense than the guy writing his shopping list/to do list.

thepurist

If we ever needed any compelling arguments

You know what they’d say Cougar. 2 words, Pxxxxxx Fxxx

mickmcd
    Free Member

I’m not sure the no food thing is important…let’s face it the next ice age will have begun by the time some folks have got down to a reasonable BMI

Secondly this will mean less burden on the NHS as the obese will be thin….and beautiful. So we can spend the extra 350 million a week on something else.

kelvin

Really? There’s no posting delay that I’m aware of, there’s an editing delay sometimes but it’s about 15 seconds.

There is sometimes a delay, not my problem if you don’t experience it. It’s often far more than 15 seconds.

kimbers

Oops she did it again !

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/factory-theresa-chose-big-brexit-13854668.amp

Has she made any speech in a building that wasn’t funded by the EU ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

At this point why the hell are journalists not asking her that at the end of her speeches?

Viewing 40 posts - 57,281 through 57,320 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM