• This topic has 48 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mjsmke.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Etherneting the house
  • rossburton
    Free Member

I think I’d prefer to just boost the WiFi locally with one of those cheapy plug-in boosters at an appropriate mid-point, seems far easier.

Sure, but they’re typically a bit crap. They use double the bandwidth as they need to receive and retransmit, handover between them is typically bad, and so on. My inlaws have them as extension means lots of steels, but the repeater in the kitchen is turned on and off ‘on demand’ as it’s not reliable enough.

Being the inlaws, they won’t listen when I just tell them to harass BT to get a mesh setup…

Del

I have as much talent for DIY as a pig has for rollerskating

Deserves more recognition.

The answer for a lot of people is just a decent quality router.

ratherbeintobago

@mert I think you were in the same boat I’m in now.

mert
    Free Member

Probably, yes.
    Upgrade €300 worth of router/mesh/powerline to €700 worth of “better” kit and still have issues.

Or Ethernet and WiFi mesh at ~€450 ish that is flexible, fast and reliable.
    (Recently added another AP, took an hour and covers the garden, shed and a good chunk of the rest of the plot I’m on.)

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

My house has it in every room. Based on the fact i havent once considered using it i would say no but then my broadband has never slowed, stopped working or has any deadspots even if i go out into the garden.

b33k34

I’ve retired an old house and new built from scratch with cable to every room.

In both cases actually ended up using a hybrid model because even if you get cable to a room it’s only any use if it’s actually in the place you want to use it.

Cable used in
    living room (AV kit)
    Kitchen (AV kit and ground floor WIreless point)
    Office (printer and computer)
    Plus cable to a basement workshop access point (steel/concrete between that and ground floor) and to a wireless point mounted high and central on top floor.

None of the Ethernet points get used in the bedrooms

turboferret

I’ve had some wires in our house for a while, and added when we did our kitchen extension recently.  Cable under floor of living room to cupboard under stairs, where I have a few devices and a switch.  1 cable up to loft from switch, another to kitchen.  Another cable goes out to the shed (CNC & 3D printer etc).  The primary wifi is in the lounge but doesn’t stretch very far, so I have 2 more access points, one in the kitchen, another in the loft, all wired.  Glad we took the opportunity to do so, and during the loft conversion and kitchen extension were the perfect times, cables under a solid concrete floor are tricky!

ratherbeintobago

Aye, I think we’ll be doing ours during some renovation.

Router is in the front of the house (which is probably why it doesn’t teach all that far) but I reckon one in the kitchen and one on the playroom would do (house is vaguely triangular and that covers the corners).

Ideally would like cables to the living room and playroom but that might be a bridge too far.

mjsmke

I did my house. I put the router ontop of a wardrobe upstairs, then ran 4 ethernet cables up into the loft. It’s a challet style house so was easy to drop 2 cables into other rooms. The 3rd cable down a disused chimney for a tv, the 4th cable provides a 2nd router in the kitchen to provide enough WIFI for the garden.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.