• This topic has 25 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by dot.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Estepona, Spain. Anyone been?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Fancy a month in the south of Spain this time next year but don’t want to be in a huge place like Marbella or Mallaga. Also like the fact It’s not that far from Gibraltar for cheap stuff.
    Anyone been? Anywhere nicer?
    Is it better than Benidorm? (don’t answer that)

Thanks.

Edukator
    Free Member

Yes
    Depends on the time of year
    Yes, but you knew that.

I went in 1988 in August and it was hot, hot, hot. From what I remember it was the most authentic of the Spanish towns along that coastal strip between Gibralta and Malaga. The worst was Torremolinos. It’s no doubt been built up more since but I’d still expect it to be one of the better destinations down there.

Edit, I’ve never been back because I prefer the Spanish North Coast in Summer: Castro Urdiales, Comillas, Zarautz etc. I don’t mind the odd cloudy damp day but persistent heat I have at home and it’s nice to get a cool sea breeze.

ElShalimo

Yes, my Spanish friend used to live there for a while and we visited him.

I’m afraid our esteemed friend @Edukator’s data is out of date. It’s got a large-ish British ex-pat population, the sort who can’t speak 5 words of Spanish despite living there for 20years. Lots of new blocks of flats and hotels in the last 10-15years too.

I’m sure if you get a nice place to stay on the edge of town it’ll be fine but don’t expect the Andalucian authenticity of yesteryear.

As for Gibraltar…it’s a dump surrounded by cement factories and industry belching crap into the air. General Franco wasn’t a big fan

😉

If you want some tourism and local culture the coast from Cadiz to Gibraltar is lovely.

Edukator
    Free Member

Oh dear. I lived in Sitges 89-90 then returned a few years back. It has expanded somewhat but still retains its historic centre and character.

I can’t remember much about the west coast apart from hippies and surfers in Tarifa. Cadiz was a stark contrast between a nice old town and a naval base with more highly visible prostitutes than any place I’ve been. Hitch hiking out of town was complicated by a lady reading a magazine or doing a crossword at every place a vehicle could pull over. I read recently that there about about 300 000 working in the Spanish sex industry.

ElShalimo

Cadiz has cleaned it’s act up on the last 10years. It’s a nice mix of old, earthy and touristy.

The tuna coastline is lovely and the oak cork trees are stunning. Vejer de la Frontera is very nice but might be very sleepy in winter

BigJohn

We really like Tarifa, Malaga, Cadiz, Jerez. Estepona is somewhere we stop for lunch at the Fisherman’s snack bar at the east end of the port and look with disdain and horror at the rest of the place.
    A friend loves Olhao, on the Algarve. Spends a lot of his winter there but I’ve never been.

Edukator
    Free Member

I had a quick Google wondering what what they’ve done to Estepona and found this vid:

Estepona 1993-2018

I can’t say I like what they’ve done to the sea front (7:35). As you say they’ve been busy with the concrete from the concrete works.

Andy_B

The whole coast is very quiet. I spent a month in Chiclana during the winter lockdown last year and would happily go back to the deserted beautiful beaches at Cabo Trafalgar and Conil but the place that is top of the list is Sanlucar for the tapas. Like a very low key San Sebastián and half the price.

Pauly

Avoid Barbate if you venture to the Atlantic coast of Andalucia. Rough as ****, with more than a smattering of smack thrown in.

mogrim

Is it better than Benidorm? (don’t answer that)

Along the coast from Benidorm are Alicante and Cartagena, both also worth considering. I’ve got a place midway between the two, in Torrevieja – like many of the places along the Costa Blanca the centre is a small Spanish town, while the outskirts have quite a few expat colonies. My flat’s in the centre…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

but the place that is top of the list is Sanlucar for the tapas. Like a very low key San Sebastián and half the price

I’ll have a look at Sanlucar, thanks!
    We want somewhere with enough to see & do for a month but not the karaoke/Brit bar crap. Oh, & we’re probably gonna drive down maybe from Santander, I’ve driven to Benidorm twice so know what to expect.
    We’d thought about La Cala next to Benidorm but we don’t want Benidorm & hopefully it’ll be a tad warmer darn sarf!
    Anywhere else?

Andy_B

Depends if you want beaches or not? I’d consider Jerez if not.

For the drive down, we stopped in Béjar mainly because we found an apartment with secure parking for about €30. Not much going on but pretty and would stop again.

mogrim

For the drive down, we stopped in Béjar mainly because we found an apartment with secure parking for about €30. Not much going on but pretty and would stop again.

Great road riding round there, it’s very close to my MiL’s house.

tenburner

Go to near Estepona every year, the old town is nice and still feels authentic. Lots of little bars, restaurants. Can head inland slightly to Casares for a day or evening out too.

The marina area down the other end of town is more upmarket, nearer the posh hotels but still some nice bars and restaurants, the bit in the middle is msotly residential, concrete tower blocks etc. Theres a nice bike shop and a good barber i visit when im out there.

Estepona is somewhere we stop for lunch at the Fisherman’s snack bar at the east end of the port and look with disdain and horror at the rest of the place.

If you managed to see past the end of your nose and walk 5-10 minutes towards the old town you might find its actually quite nice :shrug:

andos

If you are in the area, I would recommend stopping to eat at this place, its one of my all-time favourite resturants: https://goo.gl/maps/WTa4juGi195qyrqeA

matt10214
    Free Member

I’m lucky to have in laws who live in a beautiful Finca in Vinuela just north of Velez Malaga.

In my opinion that side of Malaga is much more ‘Spanish’ than the other, Torre Del Mar & Nerja are nice resorts without the Skeggy feel. There’s a few cycle hire places in Torre Del Mar and there’s some good road and off road riding to be had as you head up to Vinuela/Alcaucin, plus plenty of nice walking but wouldn’t recommend it in the height of Summer to be honest.

I like Malaga as a city and Granada & Cordoba are very interesting to visit, and the A-7 motorway runs right along the coast to Almeria so it’s easy to explore if you’re driving.

Obviously i’m a bit bias as I spend a lot of time there! happy to help if you need any more info.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Obviously i’m a bit bias as I spend a lot of time there! happy to help if you need any more info.

Thanks Matt, I may be in touch when the boss has made our minds up! 😜

Klunk
    Free Member

back in the 80’s yes playing golf and watching spaghetti westerns in a tiny cinema as a teen :). but it was a small town back then.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I visited La Coruna about 20 years ago, seemed very pleasant no Brit influence, nice food, nice beach, would lke to re-visit one day.

dazh

Can’t comment on the town but there’s some great road riding from Estepona to the north. A superb 1000m climb up to Puerto do Pinas Blancas and then a stunning loop to Jubrique and back. I believe there was a very large forest fire there in the summer though so might not be as scenic as it was when I did it a few years back. Lots of good walking too in the Los Reales de Sierra Bermeja assuming it hasn’t all burnt down.

markhammill
    Free Member

have a friend who lives in sabanillas its quite nice not too many brits lol
    casares is nice along with mijas

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thanks for all the inputs fellas. Mrs EGF has made our minds up & has booked a place in Estepona, after much searching at places along that coastline. As I said we’ll probably be driving so won’t be staying put all day every day, so many places to see!
    Thanks again.

ElShalimo

Now you need a list of places to visit

I’ll start you off …. El Torcal

welshfarmer

I’ll start you off …. El Torcal

🙂 The last time I went there I ended up on the operating table in Malaga Central Hospital having facial reconstruct surgery…

Lovely place. Just watch out for loose rocks if you do a bit of bouldering.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Lovely place. Just watch out for loose rocks if you do a bit of bouldering.

What, with these knees? 🙂

El Torcal noted.

dot
    Free Member

I visited La Coruna about 20 years ago, seemed very pleasant no Brit influence, nice food, nice beach, would lke to re-visit one day.

I live in A Coruña (it’s still very pleasant) 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Estepona, Spain. Anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.