Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Essex to Devon off-road (as much as possible!)
  • timchampion
    Free Member

Hi, I’d like to call on the collective knowledge of Singletrack folk across the UK! Next spring I want to ride from my home near Halstead (Essex) to my my family’s farm in South Devon (near Ivybridge). I’d like the route to comprise as much off-road as possible; so far I’m thinking Flitch Way, Downs Link, South Downs Way. Grateful if anyone can recommend other long distance tracks that head in the general direction of Devon!

Thanks,

Tim

mariner
    Free Member

Have you looked at Ridgeway then Kennet and Avon canal into Bath then on to Bristol.
    Road section via Mendips and through to Minehead then Plymouth route NC27(?) with a small detour take you right to Ivybridge.
    Bath/Bristol to Minehead look for Mendip and Quantock routes.
    I see your thinking about SDW but it all runs out after Salisbury unless you drop down to NC1(?) but thats all road.

senorj

Good one!
    Have a look at Icknield Way , on to Ridgeway? Then the GBduro gravel route south?

dovebiker

Wessex Way goes from Winchester to Weston Super Mare, connects with SDW

Wessex Way

timchampion
    Free Member

Thanks all, you’ve smashed this already; didn’t even know GBDivide was a thing. Would love to pick that up in Bristol/WSM area then drop down on the Devon c2c to Plymouth, then I’m only 12(ish) miles from target.
    Thanks again, this forum always delivers!

crashrash

Lots of the Devon Coast to coast is old railway with lots of tarmac – iIused my road bike last time we came down from Okehampton to Plymouth! There is a Ghost road from Lydford over the moor to Bellever and then down to the Abbots way which would be doable depending on how much you are carrying.

jam-bo

^^^

If you like a long walk…

blacklabbikes
    Free Member

It is possible to ride from oakhampton to ivybridge across the moor offroad…

Poopscoop

Never heard of the Wessex Way route before.👍

Lionheart
    Free Member

Not heard of the Wessex Way either, looks interesting.

DavidB
    Free Member

You could drop south and do the Southern Way https://www.mtbepicsuk.co.uk/gps/

I’ve ridden the Cornwall and Devon sections of this and it is a great ride. Hopefully the other bits are just as good

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Essex to Devon off-road (as much as possible!)’ is closed to new replies.