Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Epynt way
  • squealer
    Free Member

i’m looking at this as a gravel ride, just wondering if anyone has ridden it before and can tell me whether it’s worth it?

40 miles and 2200m of climbing sounds good but will it be a moorland trudge or a hardpack dream????

Ambrose

The last time I heard (and I’m relatively local) it was a horrorfest of poor waymarking and boggy trails. It’s been a while though so it might be a lot better now.

squealer
    Free Member

Thanks ambrose,

How long ago are we talking to give me some idea? I’m tempted as I’m about an hour away from there so could abandon it and do something else local if it turns out to be terrible.

Esme
    Free Member

Anyone ridden this recently? Has the signage improved? What’s the best time of year to get through the boggy bits?

jmmtb

Just be aware that this is a footpath, not a cycle path. There are some really tough (i.e. narrow, very steep, very boggy) sections that you will be pushing on. Also lots of gravel, forest road so can make up lots of time on there. Would be a fairly big day to do it in one go, but no big deal in two days. Definitely avoid after heavy rain. If you are keen then I’d recommend doing it soon, we’ve had a fairly dry summer here (I live at the base of the Epynt). I wouldn’t leave it much later in the year though, once the rains start here sections of it will turn into a quagmire. There are lots of way marks but they seem to double up in places (showing alternative routes through sections) and can be a bit confusing so would recommend a gpx route on a GPS/phone for navigation.

Esme
    Free Member

Thanks for that information, jmmtb. Sounds like there’s better riding elsewhere in the area.
    (BTW, Wiki says it’s a permissive bridleway, not just a footpath)

jmmtb

I didn’t mean ‘footpath’ as any kind of legal definition, more as a description of the track/terrain. I. E. it’s a trail marked out with the view of access by foot rather than bicycle (horses would also struggle on some sections), for some of the way at least, lots of it is gravel as well. ‘Better riding’ depends on your own expectations/preferences. I’d recommend the Epynt for the scenery, landscape and wildlife rather than cycling thrills for sure.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Epynt way’ is closed to new replies.