• This topic has 86 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • england – it really is another country!
  • tjagain

I have just been down on the train to Manchester for the weekend. On the train down 99% wearing masks. On suburban trains in Manchester 10% wearing them despite repeated requests to do so

train back to Edinburgh 40% mask wearing despite being asked to do so and even told its a legal requirement once over the border. funnily enough most passengers had masks on when leaving the train.

I was just stunned by the difference – here in Edinburgh mask compliance is still basically around 90+ % – in Manchester it was in general less than 25% on a rough count – few people bothering in any circumstances despite signs and announcements

Jeepers Johnson has a lot to answer for and blood on his hands.

aide

Likewise, but down in London this weekend. Few not wearing them on way down. Very little masks on the under/over ground, sometimes to the point that we are the only ones in some places. Me and the better half very shocked at it. Glad I’m back tomorrow

oldtennisshoes

Different jurisdiction different rules (mostly).

doris5000

Yeah, I’m in Bristol and it feels like everyone has just given up lately. I still stay away from shops where possible but i nipped round to the local polish shop this evening to get a lemon. Of about 15 staff and customers in the shop, I was the only person with a mask on. I got out of there quick sharp!

tjagain

Different jurisdiction different rules (mostly).

Indeed – but so few down south wearing masks when asked to do so compared with here
    Yes its still legally mandated in some places here IIRC – but there is no enforcement

aide

@Oldtennisshoes, I thought masks were mandatory on public transport still no matter of geography, hence the public service announcements every 5-10 mins

matt_outandabout

+1

The family met friends in Carlisle last week. They felt that only about a third of people were wearing masks.

Yesterday we went to IKEA in Glasgow. We saw two other families not wearing masks – and two other people tell them to put masks on.

tjagain

, I thought masks were mandatory on public transport still no matter of geography, hence the public service announcements every 5-10 mins

They are but without any legal backing – the railways made a rule that mask wearing is to continue but its basically ignored – because Johnson is too scared of his libertarian back benches to mandate masks legally.

MoreCashThanDash

From our weekend in Edinburgh last weekend, I’m not so sure it’s that high up there. Jnrs positive test result since coming home wasn’t the souvenir we were hoping to bring back.

But its definitely worse down here in England.

maccruiskeen

I thought masks were mandatory on public transport still

They’re mandatory in the sense that they’re part of the operator’s terms of service not because its a legal requirement. But the only sanction available to the operators is to refuse service which is difficult once you’re a moving train.

tjagain

Morecash – the town centre is full of non residents mainly from england! get a mile away from Princes street and you see a different picture

Hope your lad is OK

gallowayboy

Back in July we travelled up from Yorkshire to Scotland for a week. The difference then was stark; a motorway service station in england (Tebay) was barely different from pre covid, in scotland (Annandale Services) there was (about) 90% mask wearing, one way systems being adhered to, 2m gaps being adhered to etc.
    Back home I wear a mask in all public buildings unless im eating/drinking, but I am now in the minority. Last time I was on the Train, i’d estimate one in five had masks on.

MoreCashThanDash

Morecash – the town centre is full of non residents mainly from england! get a mile away from Princes street and you see a different picture

Hope your lad is OK

Aye, that occurred to me after I posted. Lad is OK thanks, started Tuesday with a bad cold, tested positive Thursday, confirmed by PCR Friday, lost sense of smell but not taste.

He’s just 18, and pissed he can’t have his second jab next week.

flannol
    Free Member

in letchworth garden city,

Lidl/Sainsburys more in the outskirts/suburbs is 80% compliance
    Morrisons town centre is 40% at best, bit of a zoo

fasthaggis

Welcome to the big Herd Immunity fun festival.
    Please say things like :-

“Let’s get this sorted before Xmas”
    “It’s no worse than the flu”
    “Don’t panic, get those holidays booked”
    “Hit the dance floor”
    “Were you at the match?”
    “That long Covid is all in your imagination”
    🙄

Drac

Yeah England has been out of restrictions now for around 6 weeks, in that time people are slowly easing wearing masks. I went to a party in a club Friday night, first time I didn’t even put a mask in my pocket. It’s now becoming the norm not to wear them, Scotland will catch up.

stumpyjon

the town centre is full of non residents mainly from england! get a mile away from Princes street and you see a different picture

To be fair that was my experience of London last week, stayed in Earls Court, and spent quite a bit of time out and about there as well as central London. Mask wearing was fairly good where we stayed but rubbish around Leicester Square where the (UK) tourists were.

Don’t make the assumption Scotland is any different, as soon as Sturgeon removes the requirement to wear masks Scots will be as bad as anywhere.

convert

2 thoughts….

We (Scotland)have got some of the worst rates in the UK despite our amazeballs mask wearing.

Secondly, the whole wearing a mask thing is more about protecting others and less about yourself. Surely continuing to wear one yourself if others have stopped is mostly a lost cause if you are concerned about your personal health entering a public place?

StuE
    Free Member

London is one of only two regions (the other being Yorks & Humberside) were infection rates are not rising, I still think mask wearing should have been retained and I still wear mine in some places

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Jeepers Johnson has a lot to answer for and blood on his hands.

It’s an odd regional thing. I was in North Devon and mask wearing was the norm with the tourists. Back in the NW and mask wearing is noticeably lower. Venues still maintaining older restrictions.

Facebook probably more to blame than anything else. I would try places like Paisley before defining it as a English/Scottish thing

oldtennisshoes

@Oldtennisshoes, I thought masks were mandatory on public transport still no matter of geography, hence the public service announcements every 5-10 mins

IIRC a difference in the rules on trains in England vs Scotland caused some consternation a wee while back. See different wording on LNER website

https://www.lner.co.uk/faq/coronavirus-travel-information-faqs/do-i-have-to-wear-a-mask-on-the-train/

Rules vs Laws innit

molgrips
    Free Member

Ugh, petty nationalism at its worst.

What you’ve compared is Edinburgh vs a part of a city in England. Don’t try to make out that Scots are superior to English, cos it’s not true and it’s very distasteful.

kelvin

Don’t try to make out that Scots are superior to English

He hasn’t done so on first reading. He has suggested that the countries are currently on different paths as regards mask wearing due to different political leadership.

I went to a party in a club Friday night, first time I didn’t even put a mask in my pocket.

I’m surprised at that to be honest Drac.

sirromj

polish shop this evening to get a lemon

Should have bought an orange, much better sheen.

sirromj

I’m not. Like he says, six weeks, herd mentality, all it takes. Turns out Covid isn’t the only thing we’re not immune to.

Drac

It felt odd, very odd. I was an all day event yesterday, I was outside all day, but even when I went to the bar or toilet I didn’t wear one. I’ll continue at work and will still when off and at some places, but I’m feeling comfortable not wearing one. Still test every day, big on hand hygiene and my office area plus car is wiped at the start of the shift.

grum
    Free Member

V high mask compliance here in Arnside (elderly wealthy liberal population) very low in Leeds city centre last week (broad mix of people).

As above Scotland’s rates are pretty awful right now so it makes sense if people are being more careful. I still think wearing them in situations where you will be in close proximity to people is sensible but I find myself doing it less as everyone else does too.

dyna-ti

Pure bloody selfishness. Self Self Self
    Remember the mask is not going to prevent you from catching covid, it is to protect other people, or help to rather.
    Those as you see deciding not to wear it, have zero interest in other peoples protection.

argee

The brutal truth is that masks are a sticky plaster now, you can go and eat at any restaurant, or drink in any pub without a mask, or go to festivals, nightclubs or whatever now and they’re not required, same with wider mixing at work, schools, etc, we’re at the point where they’re happy that the hospitals aren’t beyond their capacity just yet, and the thought of any further restrictions terrifies politicians and the public alike.

We’re now in the phase of living with ‘Covid’, so it’ll be an annual thing like the flu, with some sort of acceptable levels associated with it from now on.

grum
    Free Member

I saw a Sage scientist recently suggesting that with such low hospitalisation/death rates we could actually be at a point where for most people getting covid wouldn’t be such a bad thing, I’ll try and find the article.

Doesn’t apply to v high risk people though presumably :-/

paul0
    Free Member

It’s now becoming the norm not to wear them, Scotland will catch up.

This is one aspect where I’m fairly happy to be lagging behind. Although to be fair I’m not convinced it makes much difference. Might have to wait until English schools go back to draw that comparison.

martinhutch

so it’ll be an annual thing like the flu

Eventually it will be, but we haven’t quite got to that stage yet.

Removing the mask mandate makes mask-avoiding contagious. As soon as people see a lot of people not wearing them, they feel like the odd one out, so they don’t either, and so on, until only a handful of people who don’t give a shit about peer pressure have them on.

Drac

What you’ve compared is Edinburgh vs a part of a city in England.

Yup exactly that. When I’ve been in Newcastle most people still wear them in shops and smaller bars. I went to Gateshead Metro Centre to kill time while waiting on my car, I left very quickly as loads weren’t.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I was thinking the opposite regarding Edinburgh. On Friday I went to Screwfix after work, 3 people in front of me, none of them wearing masks. Drove past a busy take a way at the top of Leith walk, couldnt see any masks, then I noticed a taxi where none of the passengers were wearing masks. Last night whilst waiting for my chinese take a way four other people came in to order/collect and only one was wearing a mask. I don’t think we’re any better and the numbers seem to back that up. But you’re right😃 it is a different country as my in laws are quick to point out.

seosamh77
    Free Member

tbh masks are a nice security blanket, and I don’t mind people using them, I think when ever someone has a cold they should wear one.

But whether people wear them or don’t, they aren’t a particularly big driver in infections one way or the other. You just need to look at the rise in Scotland at the minute. It’s other factors driving things.

btw mask wearing isn’t universal up here. Go to a fitba game, a normal bar etc, there’s a billion situations where people aren’t wearing masks up here. I think you are guilty of living in your own wee bubble in that respect.

molgrips
    Free Member

What do you think mask wearing is like in Cardiff? Are we a bit better than those English, or not? I mean Wales voted for Brexit, so maybe we’re not that good.

Drac

I was thinking the opposite regarding Edinburgh. On Friday I went to Screwfix after work, 3 people in front of me, none of them wearing masks. Drove past a busy take a way at the top of Leith walk, couldnt see any masks, then I noticed a taxi where none of the passengers were wearing masks. Last night whilst waiting for my chinese take a way four other people came in to order/collect and only one was wearing a mask. I don’t think we’re any better and the numbers seem to back that up. But you’re right😃 it is a different country as my in laws are quick to point out.

Must be all the none residents, mainly English.

convert

In TJ’s defence I read it that it is two sets of diverging governance with populations acting differently accordingly. Our last few lots of English guests at our Highland holiday home have all commented on having to remember their masks when out and about because they had got of the habit at home.

You could find some distasteful nationalism in that if it floats your boat.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

A COVID-19 secure Hadrian’s Wall needs building to keep the dirty English contained.

😉

aide

oldtennisshoes, I see the difference now, I did actually think it was mandatory. Like you say law/rules – two different things.

Morecash, hope junior gets well soon

I am also not trying to make it sound like “Scotland is superior” as the stats are certainly not saying that and also believe that the same will happen with mask wearing when wee jimmie krankie changes our laws.

Still strange for me to see though

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘england – it really is another country!’ is closed to new replies.