• This topic has 86 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • england – it really is another country!
  • devash
    Free Member

I’m over in England now for my brother’s wedding and likewise, I am totally shocked (but not surprised) by the lack of mask wearing here. Back in Spain it is still obligatory / the law to wear face coverings in any indoor space, although you can take them off outside if you can maintain a 1.5m distance from others. However, the vast majority of people still keep their masks on outdoors too.

When I got off the plane in Manchester around 50% of people weren’t wearing masks in the airport. When I got on the train that went up to 90% who weren’t wearing masks on the train itself, not just in the airport station.

Stay safe out there people. There’s a lot of stupid folk in this country.

tjagain

In TJ’s defence I read it that it is two sets of diverging governance with populations acting differently accordingly.

He hasn’t done so on first reading. He has suggested that the countries are currently on different paths as regards mask wearing due to different political leadership.

This

At no point did I attach any values to this so no ” better”

Nor was it a part of one city to a part of another – it was the behaviour on public transport in two differnt cities was so differnt

Flaperon

I thought masks were mandatory on public transport still no matter of geography, hence the public service announcements every 5-10 mins

I had a cathartic rant by email to LNER a few weeks ago when I was the only person on the train wearing a mask, including the staff. I was told that they can ask passengers to wear masks but that’s the limit, and they are legally required to transport them if they have a ticket and have broken no laws.

If you’re not wearing a mask you won’t be sitting on the empty seats next to or opposite me on a train.

Not sure what they can do about their staff. I’d get sacked if I didn’t wear one when at work.

BruceWee

Might have to wait until English schools go back to draw that comparison.

I don’t think this comment got enough attention the first time around.

In Norway we’re seeing a massive spike in cases which just happened to coincide with the schools going back.

cookeaa

Missus and me went to that there London on Saturday to see a show.
    Train was about 25% mask wearers (Inc us).
    It was a gamble TBH but she’s in need of some “normality” the last 18 months has frankly driven her batshit…

The show was otherwise ok, most wore masks to/from seats and attendees had to show recent covid test proof.
    But my Missus got a bit panicked by the sheer number of people in the streets and cramming into pubs (all maskless) when we came out. It was beyond typical pre-covid levels I reckon, but then the combination of things; less foreign travel, the government essentially letting the brakes off, a bank holiday, extinction rebellion protests… So we just too a cab back to the station.

There’s going to be a couple to “waves” to the infection rates in England I reckon. The first from by the nicer weather and bank hol this last week the second by the kids going back to schools… I’d expect it to hit mid to late September and carry through to mid October.

The question is really going to be severety. Do deaths track with infections as they did during 2020?

Ultimately this is what Boris wants, us out throwing our money at pubs and shops, while testing out “herd immunity”…

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Indeed – but so few down south wearing masks when asked to do so compared with here

It’s optional.

daveylad
    Free Member

And thank god it is. If some need a dirty piece of cloth wrapped around their head to get themselves through the day, then crack on.

yetidave
    Free Member

Dropped into the Green welly stop on the way to Oban this weekend. It was like being in England with respect to the mask wearing. Almost non-existent. Mostly English accents, probably off the two or three large coaches parked outside.

dannyh
    Free Member

“Masks are for bedwetters in Inglund cos weer well ard and weev got bigger cocks than anyone else”.

It won’t be quite so funny when the schools are back, a new variant (caused by abandoning a few basic protective measures with a partly vaccinated population) is on the loose and local lockdowns are reintroduced. National lockdowns are impossible politically now. There are many double-vaccinated people in their 20s and 30s suffering quite badly with covid symptoms at the moment. Keep high levels of it circulating by being bellends just increases the chances of transmission, increases the chances of any given transmission being of a higher dose and increases the chances of cultivating a new variant of concern.

But hey, until then, **** it. Pass me that pint of Carling and I’ll neck it in one to prove how much of a man I am.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿💦🍆🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Drac

The question is really going to be severety. Do deaths track with infections as they did during 2020?

Without trying to tread on the huge Covid thread. No, infection rates may be increasing but deaths and hospital admissions are lower compared to last year.

if we’re doing anecdotal evidence. During the softish school holidays we had a lot of Scottish visiting, as per normal. Some weren’t wearing masks, some were. I’ve no idea how many as I didn’t take any notice.

fasthaggis

Keep high levels of it circulating by being bellends just increases the chances of transmission, increases the chances of any given transmission being of a higher dose and increases the chances of cultivating a new variant of concern.

But hey, until then, **** it. Pass me that pint of Carling Tennents

Aye,looks like the Celtic-Rangers match went well, probably all fans from down south though.

kelvin

Do deaths track with infections as they did during 2020?

Yes, they do, just at a much lower level. Increased cases still results in increased deaths soon after.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

But hey, until then, **** it. Pass me that pint of Carling and I’ll neck it in one to prove how much of a man I am.

I’ll look differently at those old couples and mums in Aldi next time, they must be right hard b****es. Bet they have tattoos and everything.

dannyh
    Free Member

It’s optional.

So is being a knuckle-dragging shitkicker, but one could be forgiven for thinking otherwise on taking a stroll through an English town centre.

lovewookie

We had a couple of days stay in st abbs last week. Popped down to Berwick one of the days and was pleasantly surprised that the majority were wearing face coverings and keeping as much distance as they can. I honestly thought that given the choice, most wouldn’t.

Kryton57

Edit: CBA.

mikertroid
    Free Member

About 10 days ago I camped with my g/f near Chatsworth House, Chesterfield.

No-one was wearing masks! Down here in sleepy Wilts/Dorset border, people are still reasonably compliant.

No idea what the factors are but it was noticeable.

ads678

Why would you wear a mask on a campsite?

SuperScale20
    Free Member

ads678 – Beat me to it.

roverpig

had to show recent covid test proof.

How do they do that in theatres?

My daughter is down in that there London for an event. There was talk of having to use the NHS app to show proof of a negative (FLT) test, but that only seems to work in England and Wales and doesn’t cover Scotland. Presumably theatres don’t have a bar on Scots (or other overseas visitors), so how do these people show proof of a negative test?

Joe

For all the Scottish government’s nonsense oneupmanship and determination to do things differently to Westminster, the truth is… it hasn’t made a blind bit of difference. Covid deaths per capita have been lower in several regions of England than in Scotland.

It’s amazing how the tinpot nationalism of the SNP is somehow seen as brave and enlightened, when the flag waving idiots running Westminster are rightfully pilloried for it.

Double jabbed here and getting on with life. Enough of this horse shit. It’s not a different country, it’s the same bloody country.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

So is being a knuckle-dragging shitkicker, but one could be forgiven for thinking otherwise on taking a stroll through an English town centre.

You still need that hug, so angry all the time.

BruceWee

It’s not a different country, it’s the same bloody country.

Yes, when you can’t close the border with a neighboring country it does limit the effectiveness of any measures your government implements.

dannyh
    Free Member

Why would you wear a mask on a campsite?

Shared shower/bathing/toilet facilities. Otherwise not a problem.

You still need that hug, so angry all the time.

I fear you would crush me with your testosterone fuelled alpha maleness.

CountZero

There’s a difference to wearing one outside with moving air – I haven’t worn one for absolutely ages, but I do if I go into a shop, and the majority seem to do that as well. I do see people out walking around wearing a mask, but it’s not really necessary providing people maintain a reasonable distance. I was sat outside a pub yesterday afternoon, talking to various people, and nobody was wearing a mask, neither were those sat inside, because it’s not, and never has been, a requirement. I put mine on to go in and order, though, as do most people.
    I’ve got two gigs this weekend, so it’ll be interesting to see how people manage those.

roverpig

It’s not a different country, it’s the same bloody country.

So what is England then if it’s not a country?

grum
    Free Member

so how do these people show proof of a negative test?

Given that you self report the results it’s not really proof of anything anyway is it. You don’t even have to take a test to register online that you have.

Maybe Scots just need a printout of something, which is equally useless?

So what is England then if it’s not a country?

I’ve read up on this a few times but I can never remember properly. I think England is a country but not a nation/state.

MoreCashThanDash

had to show recent covid test proof.

How do they do that in theatres?

Had to do this for a show at Edinburgh Corn Exchange when we were up there – just need to show the email/text from NHS confirming receipt of your report of your negative LFT test.

Obviously, everyone is going to be scrupulously honest when they report their LFT aren’t they?

piemonster

I was thinking the opposite regarding Edinburgh

Similar here, but Hermiston Gate and Haymarket,  nowhere near 90%.

As for where I live in Fife rammed full of day trippers for most of the summer laughably far away from 90% for a couple of months now.

BruceWee

I’ve read up on this a few times but I can never remember properly. I think England is a country but not a nation/state.

For the purposes of Covid it’s irrelevant.

You can’t close the borders like Norway was able to do with Sweden when Sweden was running it’s ‘experiment’ in infection control. Therefore Norway wasn’t affected by Sweden’s policies.

Scotland has been very much affected by England’s policies because Scotland wasn’t able to close it’s border. For the purposes of this discussion they are one country.

If you want to get into the dictionary definitions of country/state/principality/kingdom that’s another thread, I reckon.

poly
    Free Member

Big’n’daft – there’s certainly variation between areas in Scotland, but even in the roughest parts the rate of compliance is higher than in the best bits of England and S. Wales I was in last week for work. The contrast was stark as TJ noted. Molgrips – Cardiff was slightly better than Bristol, but not as good as the Lothians (even the dodgy bits!) – I’ve not been in central edinburgh since the latest rule changes!

But whether people wear them or don’t, they aren’t a particularly big driver in infections one way or the other. You just need to look at the rise in Scotland at the minute. It’s other factors driving things.

Well, I think there are so many conflated factors nobody can say that for sure, as you noted yourself:

btw mask wearing isn’t universal up here. Go to a fitba game, a normal bar etc, there’s a billion situations where people aren’t wearing masks up here. I think you are guilty of living in your own wee bubble in that respect.

Packed venues is clearly an issue. Packed venues with no masks intuitively must be worse. Add in alcohol and its no wonder the numbers are shooting up here. Clearly schools are an issue too. I don’t know anyone who’s a strict mask wearer and double vaccinated who has picked covid up through activities where they were wearing a face-covering / generally socially distancing. i.e. not in a pub or similar place, or who aren’t forced to spend time with the public through employment etc.

So I think masks potentially are a contributor to keeping numbers low, but we let people remove them in some of the worst settings (pubs, clubs etc) and so the benefits are diminished. Schools are clearly a source of spread just now, and masks are worn in Scottish schools but there’s no social distancing now (1m to teacher none to other pupils) and there’s clearly close mixing outside schools. England will have an advantage that more 16/17 yr olds will be at least partially vaccinated by the time they return but the decision for no masks there seems bold. Hopefully the numbers don’t run so out of control that NHS can’t cope or a new variant emerges and lockdowns are back. It does feel as though both sides of the border people have just said, ah **** it lets get on with life. Changing that position feels like it will be really hard.

Flu season could be interesting – the covid mitigations clearly massively reduced it last year.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I fear you would crush me with your testosterone fuelled alpha maleness.

C’mon now, I’ll be gentle. Might even give you a little peck on the cheeks.

dannyh
    Free Member

Obviously, everyone is going to be scrupulously honest when they report their LFT aren’t they?

Positive tests will be higher if the result is paid sick leave. Lower if the result is not being allowed out on the piss.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🍆💦🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🍻

C’mon now, I’ll be gentle. Might even give you a little peck on the cheeks.

That’s very considerate. I was expecting just a whack over the head with a club and being dragged into a cave. I suppose that comes later….

w00dster

It’s not just limited to the English.
    Anyone remember this back in May? One mask visible in that photo, on someone’s chin. Much social distancing going on here?
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/health-chiefs-may-never-know-24130414

Or are they just English tourists lost on a day trip?

So much holier than thou shite on here by some people.

By the way, as a Welshman living in middle England, mask wearing inside the few shopping centres I’ve been in seems to be fairly high, and not just by the older or middle class folks.

dannyh
    Free Member

So much holier than thou shite on here by some people.

If you wear a mask in indoor settings where there are lots of people, nothing crazy – just what the rules were back in April say, then yes, you are ‘holier’ than someone who doesn’t.

It doesn’t take much, it is not a lot to ask. But some people have a need to show they aren’t scared of nuffin, or suchlike. They’ll be the first to go hysterical if any form of lockdown measures are needed again in the next 12 months.

I think they will. Doubly-vaccinated people are still getting seriously ill in significant numbers, schools will be going back with pretty much 100% unvaccinated kids. I don’t see the point of playing chicken with a virus when some of the most effective measures are not very onerous at all.

🤷‍♂️

tjagain

If you wear a mask in indoor settings where there are lots of people, nothing crazy – just what the rules were back in April say, then yes, you are ‘holier’ than someone who doesn’t.

The LAW still requires you to wear one in Scotland – thats the point. Nothing holier than thou but in Scotland mask wearing indoors in places and on public transport is still required by law and the vast majority comply. In england its now optional and very few folk do wear them

Just pointing out a huge differnce that I noted on my day down south

Poopscoop

I live down in Kent and I’m saddened to say that mask wearing has dropped off a cliff.

My local co-op always had almost everyone, customers and staff, wearing masks whilst it was mandatory. Now most staff still are but only say, 1 in 10 customers now are.

Trips to other shops seem to show a similar percentage.

As mentioned above, the anti mask lot will be the first to complain if elements of lock down are reintroduced. To be clear,I don’t think that most non mask wearers are anti mask. Peer pressure and (mainly) mixed government messaging have played a huge part unfortunately.

What will be will be I suppose. Sigh…

Northwind

Joe
    Free Member

For all the Scottish government’s nonsense oneupmanship and determination to do things differently to Westminster, the truth is… it hasn’t made a blind bit of difference. Covid deaths per capita have been lower in several regions of England than in Scotland.

That is simply untrue.

There is only one area of England that has a lower death rate than Scotland, the outlier of the South East. No others really come close. Some are closer to double, including the two English regions closest to Scotland.

Cherrypicking individual areas of England to compare with the whole of Scotland aside, scotland’s overall rate is 148 per 100000 and England’s is 205 per 100000. Of course it can’t all be simply attributed to covid policy differences but even so it’s a huge difference. About 30000 lives you’re handwaving away to score a political point.

Dickyboy

So this thread seems to have been started because someone is amazed/disgruntled that more people wear masks when its legal requirement compared with it just being a recommendation. No shit sherlock 🤔

RoterStern
    Free Member

I was back in the UK the weekend before last to try and support my mother while my father was lying in Intensive Care ( see thread about waiting 8 hours for an ambulance). The incidence rate was well over three hundred in the area and I was completely shocked about how few people were wearing masks in the local shopping centre. Here in Germany the mask mandate only ends if the incidence rate stays below 10 for more than two weeks and even then most people here still wore one in the shops. A level of three hundred plus would have us in a partial lockdown and non essential businesses would have to close again. But in this part of England it was a free for all! 🤷‍♂️

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘england – it really is another country!’ is closed to new replies.