Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 328 total)
  • Energy Suppliers Going Bump
  • mashr

Scottish Power

That just made me shudder at the prospect. Made the mistake of moving there years ago and vowed to never touch again, the prospect of ending up there has probably just made my mind up about jumping ship

DT78
    Free Member

Good advice to take screenshots, just done it for my igloo account, who keep insisting on increasing dds despite a £500 credit.

I had a nightmare approx 4 years ago when a small company went bust, had misread the meter and apparently owed me £1k refund, which I never got, then the next supplier thought I’d underpaid and hit me for £1k. It took a lot of phone calls to sort, and guess what my online account had disappeared so I had no access to evidence the meter readings I had given online. I am sure I’m hundreds out of pocket but gave up trying to get a refund….then a couple of years later I got a bailiffs notice saying I owed that company £150 and they were taking me to court, with no access to any data I just paid it so I could draw a line under it.

Now I take photos of meter readings every month in case I get stiffed again

Flaperon

Scottish Power

I’d charge my car from a turbo trainer before moving back to Scottish Power.

djglover
    Free Member

Will be interesting to see what happens with Bulb. They are clearly too big to fail and clearly not able to obtain credit to cover their costs over winter. No one will take their customers on via SoLR. We are now seeing market failure due to Tory Government implementing price caps. Mad times. Of course if we were still part of the IEM then thing would be a lot easier.

Its crazy that regulation has done this, in the mortgage market your standard variable rate is often the best over time, but you take more risk, and a fixed price is higher, but you get the certainty. Ofgem have created the exact opposite in energy where hedging prudently has resulted in new entrants being able to undercut.. and with Brexit to compound it is highly unsurprising we are where we are. I predicted part Nationalisation when I left npower 3 years ago after the implementation of the price cap and I feel I am about to be proved right.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

We are now seeing market failure due to Tory Government implementing price caps

The retail part of the value chain is minimal in value, what you were signing up for was better wholesale purchasing. Long term hedges cost more money so your offers are lower ranked and don’t attract customers. The regulatory failure is the degree of hedging and financial reserve’s required of the smaller companies.

I can see why energy speculators aren’t getting bailed out

mariner
    Free Member

Avro gone and website experiencing a high volume so cant get a balance screenshot.

mojodave
    Free Member

This alternative Avro link was working for me tonight –

https://assets.avroenergy.co.uk/

nre
    Free Member

Thanks @mojodave, that’s worked for me with Avro. Been with them for a few years, had triggered a switch on Monday which from everything I’ve read should still go through…. we’ll wait and see!

stumpyjon

@mojodave, also thanks, managed to get in with that link and download everything, we owe £75 apparently so not too fussed, although they seem to have rather over estimated our electricity usage and under estimated gas.

Sandwich

Apparently we’re all off to Octopus from AVRO. We should be able to move to one of their fixed deals in due course.

Dickyboy

Apparently we’re all off to Octopus from AVRO.

Same here & I’ve finally been able to get onto the Avro website too. Will have to take a butchers at octopus rates & see how much more it will cost us.

Edit-looks like standing charges are both going up by 10p per day, electric up by 10p pkwh & gas up from 2.5 to 6p pkwh

andy5390

I’m going to Shell, from Green

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh, Green customer here nd still waiting to hear where I’m being transferred. Green asked for a meter reading today to speed the process though.

edit, Uh no, I’ve just got the email. Shell, they are doing it all including transferring the direct debit

donkeydave

So moving from avro to octopus, cannot get to see our last annual statement on avro despite trying loads and know its going up but how much per month because right now a £75 per month rise is not a easy amount to swallow or manage.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shell from Green here too, no word of tariff or DD amount, buckle up and hold on tight!

Sandwich

@donkeydave Ours was going up by £70 on Avro to cover a minor shortfall and the price increases. Octopus are quoting a more tolerable increase of £40 a month, it’s still more than I would like though.

Kryton57

Will be interesting to see what happens with Bulb.

Rumours are that Octopus has / will make a bid for them.

stumpyjon

@sandwich that’s interresting, our fixed term with AVRO was due and they wanted to increase our Bill by £80 a month, wil be good if Octopus come in lower than that. We were about to switch (or at least start looking) when they went bump.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@stumpyjon out of interest, how much are you per month now? Just trying to get an idea of my rise.

stumpyjon

£163 combined, next door who were also with AVRO were about the same.

doomanic

Anyone gone from Utility Point to EDF? I’m still waiting for EDF to contact me.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Jeez, so you were expecting an £80 rise on top of £163/month!? Wow….£240ish a month will hurt.

djglover
    Free Member

Spare a thought for the staff. I know at least half a dozen people who were made redundant from one energy supplier already this year, to now be made redundant again from another.

They have kids to feed and mortgages.

I was contacted by a recruiter recently and I did have to say I wouldn’t work in an energy retailer for any money at the moment.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Good point

crogthomas
    Free Member

Anyone gone from Utility Point to EDF? I’m still waiting for EDF to contact me.

Yes, I was contacted by email by EDF on the 21st, and by UP on the 23rd. Just a generic email, so I would expect you should have had something by now.

doomanic

Ta. It was in my Junk folder.

Klunk
    Free Member

Operation Yellowhammer….2019

Key planning assumptions….

they can’t say they weren’t warned.

richardthird

Yeah Green to Shell, thank heavens not Scottish Power.

No word on tarriff of course, it’ll surely hurt, we’re on £160/m so now budgeting +50%.

NO WAY am I not cancelling the DD. Big credit with Green they can transfer that over.

Got stiffed last time with concurrent DDs and S bloody P.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Jeez another one paying £160/month. I know my wood scrounging and stoves saves me a lot, but perhaps I’d underestimated how much! My monthly DD was £72, and I had built an excessively large credit balance.

trail_rat
    Free Member

know my wood scrounging and stoves saves me a lot, but perhaps I’d underestimated how much! My monthly DD was £72, and I had built an excessively large credit balance.

or in a less smug thought – a considerably smaller house.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Bigger house it could be, or less efficient, but I’m picturing a stately home now. Nevill towers isn’t special but it’s a moderate size and not well insulated typical 30s suburban semi, not a compact flat.

northernmatt

Anyone heard anything about Avro to Octopus? I got a generic ‘sit and wait’ e-mail yesterday but wondered if anyone was further along?

Managed to get my balances from the Avro site after much waiting, small debit to carry across. I’m hoping for not much of an increase as my fixed deal had run out recently so my DD had gone up by £30 already.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Just had an email from money saving expert as I was in the energy club where they tracked the market and notified me if I could get a better deal, so they knew who I was with.

Key points…
    You have been moved to the Flexible 6 variable tariff, which is Shell’s standard tariff and follows the price cap.

While not cheap, on average there are no deals cheaper than this right now due to the dire state of the market, so for most there’s no need to do anything.

Customer service score is only 3.2/5 though.

mrchrispy

we sit at around 250/month in chrispy towers 😮
    I hope bulb hang in there

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bigger house it could be, or less efficient, but I’m picturing a stately home now

Was a lad yesterday looking for a surveyor on a 1.1million quid house so it’s not inconceivable.

Fwiw we were about 110 in electric and oil averaged over the year suplimented with free sticks.

I predict we will be down to 85-90 averaged out over the year now with the solar panels

neilnevill
    Free Member

No I know it’s not inconceivable, that value ought to buy a nice place and bigger than here unless it’s central London.

swavis

Just got an email from Bulb asking to top up £150 odd even though I’m £97 in credit and another £100 is due to go out in a couple of days 🤔

pk13

My renewal has just come through from octopus from November its an extra 600 a year for a fixed tariff..

PFFFFPPPTTTT

mesh

Bulb been in touch this evening requesting I increase my dd by 50%, even though my account is in credit by £220. Have emailed a (probably futile) counter-proposal, as I have no desire to lend them more money at the moment…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Clearly the shoe dryers and other tat adds up.

£61 pcm at the start of the year rising to £91pcm, dual fuel. Granted thats with a massive employee discount of £10.50 per quarter but still.

Pisstaking aside, what kind of houses are you guys in? 2 bed mid terrace here. I know Trail_rats not far off ours in terms of spec but with the oil and lpg tax.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 328 total)

The topic ‘Energy Suppliers Going Bump’ is closed to new replies.