Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 328 total)
  • Energy Suppliers Going Bump
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

As I said, 30’s built medium size 3 bed semi. It is in London so winter not so cold though. I reckon my £72pcm DD should have been about £60 at most given the credit I’d built. However I reckon it would be double that and more if I didn’t scrounge wood for the stoves.

I’m sure those with bigger bills are in cooler places with bigger houses but still, wow. Do you not use a washing line? Do you wash clothes at all 40 or be 60 not 30? Electric showers or immersion heaters and teens taking long showers? I’m honestly baffled as o didn’t think I was super efficient at all.

mrchrispy

4 floors of late 1800 end terrace.
    wife loves the dryer, windows open if its stuffy and heating on at the slightest chill.
    Also no one in the house can close a door or switch off a light.

It’d be cheaper to insulate the outside with £50 notes

swavis

2007 built 3 bed detached in Moray with four of us, wife & I + two primary school aged boys, and until a couple of months ago was £82 pcm with Bulb, now upped to £100 pcm. I almost resent keeping the tropical fish warm… 😉

Dickyboy

Just got email from Avro, apparently my fixed price tarrif is coming to an end 🤣
    Were on £95pm gas & electric for a 1980s 4 bed detached housing 4 (and often more) adults in sunny bucks.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

What are peoples thoughts about signing up for new fixed contracts vs being on variable rates for a few months for things to stabilise a bit?

Our Octopus one year tarrif ends early November so just trying to make a (semi) educated descion.

stumpy01

I’m waiting on some info from Octopus who we are being switched to, from Avro.

4-bed detached here – not really sure how well insulated it is, although it has cavity wall insulation & when we moved in I stuck a ton more insulation in the loft although not throughout as I wanted to keep a fair portion of it open for storage.
    In the last decade we have been paying between £80 & £100, so it will be ‘interesting’ to see what it goes up to.
    My Wife is constantly cold, so the heating gets used a lot throughout the winter. I am also working from home for 3 days a week starting from this week, so have the heating on during the day a fair bit.
    We also seem to give the washing machine a hammering, although tend to keep it to 30deg, unless specifically needing to do a hot wash. The tumble dryer also gets used quite a bit in the winter where possible as if we dry everything indoors the house gets very ‘moist’.

We’ve just had a new combi boiler fitted to replace a very old (25yr old?) system boiler with cylinder so no doubt that will save on our energy usage, but I guess the bill will still go up as the cost of the fuel will have increased.

Sandwich

@neilnevill We’re in Ipswich and the weather here can be a bit chilly. Mrs Sandwich is 3 days a week WFH and likes a constant 19C inside. Washing line is used as much as possible but 6 months of wet and excessively cold weather means the tumble drier gets it’s fair share of use.
    Loft has 8″ of rockwool in it, mostly double glazing and cavity wall is full of rockwool too.

nickc

@stumpy01 I’m with Octopus and you sound a lot like me in overall energy consumption and house profile. My DD with octopus is £117/ month, with about £200 in credit at the minute, soon to be lost over the winter no doubt.

pk13

3 bed semi with two adults and a dog. Also pondering fixed vs variable.
    Timer going on the shower 😂

retro83
    Free Member

Another three small suppliers have gone pop, Igloo Enstroga and Symbio
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58732683

owenh

just had the email from Igloo. Currently £100 in credit with a £75 DD due to go out on Friday. Think I’m going to cancel the DD.

nixie

Also just got the igloo email. Got £180 credit currently. Ah well. I had hoped with their different pricing model they might make it.

paino

Igloo here too. I imagine the switch will not automatically transfer to the best deal of the accepting energy company. Hope it’s not N bloody power. I get that any credit balance is transferred but are you guys cancelling direct debits?

robvalentine

I am/was with Symbio. Given how Janky their website and app is, I’m really not surprised they went kaput.

nixie

I hope it’s not Scottish power. Incompetent idiots they are in my experience.

owenh

are you guys cancelling direct debits?

I just have, my credit balance is about 2 months worth of energy (summer usage on current tariff) so that should be enough credit to cover time to transfer to the new supplier (also hope its not NPower).
    I only switched to Igloo 6 months ago when I had £300 credit with previous supplier, took multiple calls and emails to eventually get it repaid. Know this is a slightly different scenario where the account is being transferred rather than old closed and new setup.

neilnevill
    Free Member

My bills were with 100% WFH, and 3 young kids.

Jolsa

Igloo customer. Withdrew my £150 credit last week, and DD due on 5th. Have cancelled it.

northernmatt

Octopus now asking for meter readings for Avro customers. Still no word on how much future bills will be though.

nixie

Eon Next for Igloo customers.

jimster01

My supplier has gone, can I change on my own occord or do I have to go to the alloted supplier?

flicker
    Free Member

Allotted supplier, once that’s sorted then you can switch.

retro83
    Free Member

I was with Green and have been ported over to Shell.

My rates have just come through:

I was on 14.6p/unit for elec and 2.5p/unit for gas
    Now on 21p/unit for elec and 4.1p/unit for gas.

So I make that 44% increase on electricity and 64% up on gas.

Quite surprised that Shell energy is apparently 100% renewable though.

timmys

Allotted supplier, once that’s sorted then you can switch.

But as I understand it there’s no point in switching as everyone’s best deal is now the government capped rate. If there are deals lower than that then chances are the operator will be going out of business anyway as the wholesale price is higher than what they have to sell it at under the cap.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m just going to stay on variable for now.

Old fix was £37 a month, which has gone up to £51 on variable. New fixes were £72 a month!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Have any ex green customers heard anything more from shell energy yet? It’s been quiet for me since the initial, ‘hello and welcome’ message. It’s going to take a while isn’t it? Oh well.

ji
    Free Member

I think the comapnies are all under pressure at the momnet. My supplier went bust a few days ago, and if I hadn’t logged onto the app I wouldn’t even be aware – no letters, emails or anything!

doomanic

I still haven’t had anything more from EDF. Oh well.

footflaps

Couple of years ago when our supplier (GB Energy) went bust I cancelled the DD, bank then happily processed the next payments, which turned out OK in then end as it all got seemlessly handed over to a new provider.

Whole thing was a complete non event.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Looks like Bulb is about to topple

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Bulb will be interesting as potentially none of the energy companies will want to take on that many new customers based on the logistics and the fact it’s additional cost not profit

So the only option may become government subsidy/ nationalisation

tthew

And now, just to rub salt into the wound, there’s an outstanding charge of nearly 18 million quid between 7 suppliers for unpaid renewables obligations. Oof.

doris5000

My MIL’s energy supplier has gone bust. She’s one of the lucky ones who received generous FIT payments for solar panels. OFGEM say FIT payments won’t automatically transfer – anyone know what the process is, now FIT doesn’t exist for new customers? Can she keep getting the same rates somehow?

(Annoyingly, she was technically with two suppliers – one for energy supply (now bust) and a sister company for the money stuff (not bust, but won’t be paying FIT payments, only some ‘grid services’ stuff)).

keithb

Soooo,…. Anyone else having problems with their enforced switch from Avro?

I’ve been moved over to Octopus, and the online portal seems to be registering my Gas (and my smart meter has updated its rates), but the electricity hasn’t moved over.   I’ve chased up and they say something about working with the administrators to bring the details over, but it’s all a bit vague.

So anyone else still waiting for their transfer to complete?

Ta

Keith

stumpyjon

Other way around for me, they’ve linked up with my SMETS2 electricity meter but not the gas (although I suspect the gas was not commissioned properly by Avro / Lori Beck). Octopus didn’t seem too bothered, i got the same response you did. I know I’m going to get stung at some point but can’t do much about it (fixed term was up with Avro when they went bust anyway) and the lights are still on.

stumpyjon

Bulb have now gone bump but will continue to supply, obviously no one wants their 1.7 million customers.

joepud
    Free Member

Bulb have now gone bump but will continue to supply, obviously no one wants their 1.7 million customers.

thats gotta be the most likely right given the state of energy companies right now, I can’t see them all having another space to divide the 1.7m customers and credit. Surly there will be a bail out?

scotroutes

Are we going to end up with one state-owned energy company?

crossed

Possibly.

But which state would own it?

kimbers

balls, we’re with bulb

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 328 total)

The topic ‘Energy Suppliers Going Bump’ is closed to new replies.