Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Energy (gas/electric) comparison confusion
  • andy5390

My 12 month deal with Scottish Power is coming to an end on 31st December, so I’ve been trawling the comparison sites and ended up quite puzzled by the results

As I haven’t got any figures for December, I’ve just added January twice as that was the most expensive month, to give a rough 12 month estimate.

The confusion arises when I input either power used figures vs amount paid figures

Power figures are

Gas kWh = 8967

Elec kWh = 3428

This comes back with £70.54 p/m

Annual cost of £846 – a “saving” of  £179

Cost figures are

Gas = £229

Elec = £462

£57 p/m

£689 Annual

£157 saving

Why does it work out cheaper if I use the cost figures vs actual power used figures. Surely they should come back the same, it’s like measuring something in inches and centimetres – it’s the same length no matter what units you use

FWIW, using the cost figures is bang on what I’m paying/payed now.

dannybgoode

Because the power companies sponsor their position and thus depending on which metric you use can alter the displayed ‘best providers’ rather than the site providing a true and honest comparison? I guess it is something as cynical as this TBH.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I presume you’re also entering the correct Scottish Power tariff you’re currently on?, otherwise I would imagine a £ cost figure would be meaningless for them to work with. I’d be inclined to stick with the meter reading figures if you know they’re correct or roughly correct.

andy5390

The correct tariff has been used, and the figures (kWh and £) are taken from my online account usage.

I’d agree that the meter readings would be the ones to use, but it’s the spending figures that are closest to what my current usage/bills are

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Ok, so tell me what your current Scottish power tariff is called (should be able to find the tariff rates online) or preferably if you know your actual gas ppkw Rate and your gas ppday standing charge. I’m pretty sure that 8967kw of gas won’t cost £229, unless you got the best deal in the world ever. If you know the tariff rates then you need to say whether they are including or excluding vat rates. Prices differ between regions as well so may be best if you can quote your actual prices rather than the general tariff name

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m due for renewing my 12 month gas deal in December, so I’ll give you my figures for the last 12 months (I can’t quote electric because I’m on a tracker tariff so my prices change every half hour).

Firstly, I use MSE comparison site (you join their Energy Club), I also usually use the CAB comparison tool as a 2nd option.

So, 12 months ago I went with So Energy for my gas as they were the cheapest.
    My gas usage is 7640kwh (30 Nov 2019-30 Nov 2020)
    My tariff is: So Zebra – Gas
    My rates are: 02.47pence per kwh, 22.05pence per day standing charge (both are Including VAT rates).

364 days @ 22.05p = £80.26
    7640kwk @ 2.47p = £188.71
    Tot = £268.97

Your gas usage on my tariff would be £301.74 and I’d like to think that my deal was pretty competitive (it was the top gas deal on comparison sites at the time) so 8967kwh and £229 just seems to not balance up IMO, especially from Scottish Power who are one of the big players who generally don’t top the comparison sites on cheap deals.

andy5390

This is the best I can find re: tariff rates (inc VAT) from an email last year

As of 2 December 2019, your personal projection (est. annual cost) for theScottish Power Super Saver December 2020 B3 plan is £914.11. This is based on consumption figures of 3627 kWh for electricity and 10780 kWh for gas

Current payments of £87p/m have me on target to be around £150 in credit, if my December assumptions are close enough.

I might give them a ring tomorrow. Given the price rises in the last 12 months, the £70p/m based on meter readings, looks about right. Their current quotes at £87 – £95 look a little off

Edit: I’ll have a look at MSE, cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

I hope you are seeing the whole market? Comparison sites tend to default to those they can sign you up to only (yep cynical ****s). There will be a way of choosing this.

tthew

I think a couple of people have buried the likely answer in their complex explanations, have you added the daily standing charge to your cost figures?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Use the money saving expert comparison/switch tool if you want a proper comparison.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Did you include the daily charge too?

mariner
    Free Member

Daily charge will alter the figures.
    My ex supplier went up from 14p/day to 21p/day.
    New supplier 16p/day and lower energy cost.
    Changed from Peoples Energy to Avro.

Kahurangi

Can you afford to go with a decent supplier with renewable electricity generation? Or is cheapest the be all and end all?

tthew

Can you afford to go with a decent supplier with renewable electricity generation?

It’s smoke and mirrors dude. As we speak there’s 6GW of wind generation on the system, 22GW of gas and even a few of the coalers are running, (1.3GW) There’s not a special cable running your bit of that wind power to your house, if there were you’d probably be having your own personal power cut. It was even worse last week when there was that high pressure over the country, we got to within 1.7GW of spare capacity due to the lack of wind. Electric generation comparisons

Connah’s Quay gas fired power station, (Hi) currently producing as much as 1/4 of all the wind farms in the country.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Energy (gas/electric) comparison confusion’ is closed to new replies.