Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • “Enduro pants”
  • pipiom
    Free Member

So this, trousers over the lot thing (not WP Overtrousers/storm gear)
    What’s the verdict please?
    I’m assuming these, and the likes, aren’t overtrousers??
    Any good for cold winter days?
    https://www.outdoorclothing.co.uk/mens-c4/trousers-c1006/mens-dte-3-layer-waterproof-trouser-p20478/s67099?cid=GBP&glCurrency=GBP&glCountry=GB&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6afksvq8-wIVhuDtCh2ZvQtfEAQYAiABEgINT_D_BwE

Rivett
    Free Member

Been impressed with some Fox Ranger bottoms and also their waterproof ones.

Northwind

Those madisons are the ones I have, they’re big enough- just- to wear over proper kneepads and they’re good to ride in. Only downer is they’re a little short- I’m a very average shaped dude so that’s annoying, after all you want your riding trousers to sit well onto your shoes, there’s hardly any drawback to them being slightly long but there’s a big disadvantage to them being slightly short. Just seems like a mistake to me, but, doesn’t spoil them, I’ll still be riding in them a lot through winter

pipiom
    Free Member

So, at 6”1’ with a 30” waist, these may not be for me?

RustySpanner

Disco pants and haircuts?

matt_outandabout

Are those Madison ones not properly waterproof with a 20k/20k waterproof/breathable rating?

fatbikedog
    Free Member

Have a look at alpkit. They are available in different leg lenths.

richardkennerley

I’m 6’2 with 30″ waist. I bought decathlon troo’s which are ok, but could do with being a tad longer. I’ve been waiting for the Alpkit ones to come back in stock for a while. They finally did a couple of weeks ago,
    I eagerly ordered the 30L. They’re exactly the same length as the decathlon ones. But twice the price. So they went back.

If you do find some long ones, please let me know!

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

Endura trousers tend to come up quite long. I’m a similar build to you guys and I have plenty of length in Endura Singletrack trousers.

phil5556

I’ve just 2 minutes ago bought some Royal Storm trousers to try.

I would have got the Endura MT500 because Endura stuff fits me well, but I’ve been put off by reviews saying their new “eco” material isn’t very waterproof.

Was also looking at these Madison’s or Fox Ranger 3L. Tried some other Fox trousers that didn’t fit me well though.

I thought MTB trousers are intentionally a bit short so they don’t bulge around your ankles and get caught in your chain ring.

LAT

i recently bought some chromag trousers. they have plenty of room for chunky knee pads.

they aren’t waterproof, but i tried on many pairs from many, many companies and these were the best fit for me. some were as tight in the leg as actual tights, just with a baggy arse. if you have the opportunity, i’d recommend trying on as many pairs as you can.

7mesh waterproof trousers are pretty long. unfortunately the extra material is reflected in the price.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

No-one still rocking the British Army Goretex over trousers?

nedrapier

No-one still rocking the British Army Goretex over trousers?

Got RAF ones here in blue. But baggy for MTB, but they’re good for a commuting/ walking overtrouser.

pipiom
    Free Member

Many thanks.
    I’m assuming that these are the ones, and that this is a decent deal?
    I’m a bit torn between the:
    Medium – 32 waist/29.9 leg
    And
    Large – 34 waist/30.8 leg
    Definitely don’t want tight, but also not too keen on having a too baggy arze.
    Any, real world wearing experiences would be great, thanks.
    Storm Pants

pipiom
    Free Member

Yes, they are. I’m just a little new to the concept of “riding trousers”

phil5556

@pipiom I found someone that had said the Large were sinched right down to fit him at 34″ and still weren’t overly tight. So from that I ordered the Medium. I think I’m about a 33″ waist these days – I’ll let you know when they arrive.

Or just order both and send one back.

pipiom
    Free Member

phil5556

Looking at them, they look very tight at the bottom. I normally wear gaiters in the slop; I’m guessing they’d have to be worn outside. No zips/openings at the lower leg?

oldfart

I’m usually a big fan of Madison kit but those DTE failed on me after about a month 😞 As for the Storm trousers my god they are weird sizing , couldn’t get them up over my bum and I’m hardly a buffer ! I’m trying TLD Resist now they are a decent leg length .

mahalo

Good price. i paid full RRP for a pair from Ride Innerleithen a few weeks ago when up there during a particularly damp few days.

They were worth every penny just for that weekend, but ive ridden in them every weekend since too. comfortable, not too warm and definitely waterproof enough. nicely tapered at the ankle, and plenty of adjustment in the waste. i dont tend to wear knee pads under trousers so cant comment on that aspect.

im 6′ tall, and usually wear 34″/30″ jeans. i bought Medium and they fit like a dream. I have many Madison items most of them are size M.

pipiom
    Free Member

Phil5556

I’ve just ordered Large and Medium in these. At this price, I can send one pair back, and still have a good deal IMHO
    Royal Storm Pant – Black

joebristol

I tried medium and large in the RR storm pants – both too small. I’m 5’9 and 75.5kg with perhaps a slightly larger than normal arse. 33” waist I’d guess. They were too tight around the crotch and seat even in large.

Yet large Endura Humvee shorts fit on the baggy side and in fox water shorts I’m a 32”. Go figure.

aide

Just got some storm trousers in their sale. I ordered both the medium and large as I was in between sizes (I’m about 33″ waist) – I could just manage to get the mediums (32″) on, they just fitted, even without the ratchet done up at all. Tried the large (34″) and they are a bit bigger and fits with the ratchet done up to just about fully done up so I would say the sizing is about right. Sent the mediums back for a refund but have still to try the large out in anger

thepodge
    Free Member

Is there anything a bit more lightweight that people would recommend? The sort of trouser you’d do a slow 20km with your kid or when its not quite cold enough for the thermal winter bibs but too cold for shorts?

I’ve been using just “normal” trousers but they are falling apart so thought I’d get something a bit more specific to replace them.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is there anything a bit more lightweight that people would recommend?

Nukeproof Blackline, if you’re happy with softshell rather than full waterproof.

Might still be cheap at CRC. Check recent thread on here for sizing comments.

ayjaydoubleyou

Is there anything a bit more lightweight that people would recommend? The sort of trouser you’d do a slow 20km with your kid or when its not quite cold enough for the thermal winter bibs but too cold for shorts?

I’ve got the “endura singletrack trouser II” or rather, two pairs, which are in no way similar to one another.

Not hot, I’ll wear them 9 months of the year at least, for everything except an xc race, where I might be exposing my shins and knees to the elements.
    The black pair are excellent for a casual appearance.

thepodge
    Free Member

Cheers I’ll look them up.

pipiom
    Free Member

I’ve ordered 2 pairs of the Royal Storm from Stif (£74.99): 1 in Medium and the other in large.
    As soon as they’ve arrived, and they’ve had their baptism of Manx slop, I’ll report back.
    Many thanks for all your help.

davosaurusrex

I have just bought the Troy Lee Resist from Biketart for £80. Not as waterproof as some apparently but sound a good compromise, not tried them yet

Troy Lee Designs Resist Pant

I’m 6’4″ with a 36″ inseam and length is really good. 34″ fit me pretty much spot on. I could manage another inch on the length but they’re good and don’t look short, even with leg bent, unlike the Raphas which were lovely but a good 2″ too short

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

I’ve got the Troy Lee Resist too. Only wore them once so far, last week on a soaking wet ride in the Surrey Hills. They were good, kept me dry and were comfortable.

One thing I’d say is they do feel a little like a waterproof next to the skin, so wouldn’t be my first choice on a mostly dry ride – but they were nice for their intended use, wet rides.

Length was good on me for 32″ and I’m 6’1. I can’t remember my inseam.

davosaurusrex

I’d meant to mention that, they do have that plasticy feel on the inside

phil5556

@pipiom My Storm trousers arrived. And they’re going back!

Unfortunately Medium didn’t fit at all, could barely do them up. I’m probably about 33” waist these days so probably should have gone for the Large.

Kryton57

Has anyone try those convertible Endura trousers? I like he idea of trousers and my 20yo Singletrack V1 shorts fell apart last week…

pipiom
    Free Member

Phil55556
    That’s why I went for ordering L & M. Pretty sure they have free returns within 30 days, if not that’s fine. At least I’ll have given them a go, and won’t have any more time riding without them.

phil5556

Yeah that’s what I should have done. And yes free returns as I’ve just packed mine up to go back.

Just ordered the Large.

phil5556

I’ve just got a bit giddy and ordered:

Royal Storm
    Madison DTE
    Fox Defend 3L (the non waterproof ranger didn’t fit very well)
    Endura MT500 (although I’ve seen some mentions of their new eco fabric not being great)
    IXS Carve All Weather

Some sealskin socks & gloves.

Hopefully something out of this lot will look like it will do the job 😳

sofaboy73
    Free Member

went through this a month or so ago and ended up with the fox ranger 3l water”pants” and heartily recommend, especially on some of the deals round at the moment

fairly true to size as ended up with the 36 inch waste (what i take in most trousers), however take a 38 in other non waterproof fox trousers (defend etc). only down side is that knee pad room is a little constricted is using full on down hill pads – eg my Ion K-pacts where too big to be comfortable, but my fox launch D3O pads (which are lower profile) work fine.

first test of them was at a biblically wet day at BPW a few weeks ago and they were great. kept me warm and dry and knee pads were pretty much dry after a full day. used my fix defend trousers the next day (less wet) and was cold and wet by lunch

tried various others brands and they all had odd sizing, the royal storm pants being the worst offender – the XL wouldn’t even go over my hips and the XXL was unpleasantly tight on the waste and arse, but massive of the legs!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.