Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Endura singletrack waterproof jacket
  • hambl90
    Free Member

Hi, I have a £60 budget for a new waterproof jacket and I’ve seen the singletrack reduced online in my budget, any owners care to comment on real life use please .

Thanks

fergal
    Free Member

Good value, but the usual caveats apply, not very breathable, boil in the bag etc, i was expecting something with more of an an athletic fit, there is ample room to accomodate a beer belly which i don’t own, thought about sending it back when new, but in the end it’s only worn if it is hammering it down.

hambl90
    Free Member

I wasn’t expecting it to be one of those boil in the bag jackets considering the rrp, another option was the madison zenith waterproof, 15000 waterproof and breathability.

joebristol

Look at Royal Racing website – their matrix jacket is half price at the moment – so £55. No idea if it’s any good, but it looks good on the website so I’ve ordered one.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

hmmm, i know we’re all different and all that, but i’ve worn mine and found it to be not boil in the bag at all… very comfy in fact… yes i was sweating, but i was no wetter than if not in a waterproof… needs to be worn in cold temps though… like down at under 6 degrees, any more would be too much for it… it’s purely a winter jacket for me… that said, i do run hot.

agree on the fit too, it’s for fat lads really imo… but pull the draw string at the bottom and fasten the velcro at the bottom of the sleeves and it’s ok

aikon
    Free Member

Most pu based waterproof jackets will be boil in the bag, only once you’re up at 30000+ do I start to feel like a jacket is breathing at anything close to my sweat rate.

fin25
    Free Member

I’ve got one. I like it. It’s about as boil in the bag as any other jacket in that price range, but the pit zips are pretty big, so you can control that to some degree.
    It’s toasty warm, just did a week in Iceland wearing one with a hoody and t shirt under it and was never cold.
    I’ve been in three big rain storms in it, two on the bike and got a bit wet round the zips but mostly warm and dry inside.
    The fit is loose, but I’m massive, so not about to complain. Haven’t used the hood while riding, so can’t comment on that.
    I like mine and would pay £60 quid for it again.

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

I have just bought an Endura velo jacket from Chain Reaction for £85 delivered.
    I bought it to replace my Endura Venturi which is about 8 years old.
    The velo is essentially the same as the Venturi and is a cracking jacket with no boil in the bag.
    The jacket is £95 but if you put in the code CLEAR20 you can get a further £10 off.
    This has an RRP of £160 and is a brilliant jacket.
    I really rate these jackets.
    Worth spending that little bit more and grabbing a bargain.
    I ordered mine last night at 5:30 and it was delivered at 5 past 12 this afternoon.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

After various MTB jacket failings over the years (Altura, Endura, IXS stop using sh*tty little zips) I’ve finally found my ultimate jacket and it didn’t cost much at all:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-mens-anorak-grey-id_8319500.html

The hood can be stowed away inside the collar, despite it’s size (good fit under helmet). Good reflective panels as it’s designed for sailing in shite weather. Proper big chunky zips. Athletic fit with good arm length – more than can be said for a lot of so called cycling jackets.

However, my recent purchase of MTR II shorts has put my faith back in Endura once more, so I’m tempted to look at their jackets, but I wouldn’t expect much for £60.

hambl90
    Free Member

However, my recent purchase of MTR II shorts has put my faith back in Endura once more, so I’m tempted to look at their jackets, but I wouldn’t expect much for £60.

It has a rrp of £114 so at £57 it’s half price.

markshires
    Free Member

I’ve been using one for about a year and can’t fault it. I don’t find it boil in the bag, the pit zips are massive to help with that. It is quite a big fit but then I’m big anyway. The arms are plenty long enough,and can fit elbow pads underneath easily. The hood stores in the collar and is big enough to go over my helmet. It’s always kept me dry, in the crap weather. I’d have no hesitations of buying another.

submarined
    Free Member

I bought one about a month ago and it’s pretty decent. Seems to breathe pretty well (although I think I’ve always had the pit zips open!) and has already taken some pretty hard tumbles. Kept me dry in some nasty grimness as well.

The issues is, yet again, as with all Endura stuff, the fit is ridiculous. It’s fine round the waist and arms, and lengthwise, but you could probably fit 2 of me in the chest. I mean, I know I’m scrawny, but it’s a small. It’s pretty daft.I’m also not a fan of the fact there’s no elasticated section at the cuffs, so to seal it on to the glvoes it’s pretty tricky. I totally get why Velcro is good, but IMHO it needs to be used in conjunction with an elasticated section as well.

But for the price compared to everything else that’s out there, I quite like it. Can’t comment on long term use though, I reckon I’ve worn it 4 or 5 times.

aikon
    Free Member

+1 for the Endura Velo, used to be called the Flyte and alongside the MT500 was the successor to the Venturi, the Venturi was Event fabric but the replacements were Endura own brand PTFE.
    It breathes in a totally different way to cheaper PU jackets, PU condenses your sweat on the inside before transporting it through the fabric, PTFE allows the moisture through the fabric as a vapour, hence no clammy feeling on the inside and PU feeling like boil in the bag.

Just had a count and I’ve got 13 different thermal or waterproof cycling/running jackets, most of the time I wear the Endura MT500 Full Zip Thermal Jersey with base and mid layers to suit the temperature, carrying a Raidlight Extreme Evo for when the DWR isn’t enough on the MT500.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Another vote for the Flyte. 3 layer, not 2.5 layer, more waterproof, more breathable.

I’ve never understood Enduras mtb jackets – seem designed for standing around in not riding or stuffed in a bag. Fat boy boxy cut, loads of pockets that just add bulk, hoods (which have never worked for me with a helmet).

The Flyte has pit zips, minimal but useful pockets (napoleon and rear), slimish fit, no hood. Good long arms even for me at 6’ 5”. In stock and reduced on CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-flyte-jacket-ss17/rp-prod17968?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-TB-SE-Shopping+QLB+Manufacturer+Tablet&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7Cs4kXWATyx_dt%7Cpcrid%7C161819759739%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C83574UK

hambl90
    Free Member

The flyte does look like a really good option and still on budget as well.

ElShalimo

Is the sizing “true” for Endura jackets?

aikon
    Free Member

I have both a small & a medium Flyte, I wear the medium when commuting with civvies on underneath, the small for a neater fit when in cycling getup.

Disclaimer: I had 13 jackets at last count…

zippykona

On that endura thermal what’s the point of windproof sleeves?
    Surely it should be your body.

hambl90
    Free Member

I’m now pretty sure I’ll be getting the flyte , I’m swayed by the 28000 breathability rating as I’m a heavy sweater .

Thanks guys

andymott
    Free Member

I have one and think it’s pretty good value. I’m also a heavy sweater and have found this is sometimes an issue, but mostly not too bad. I never think to use the pit zips mind…
    I’ve taken a fall and there’s not even a mark on the jacket. It’s big, but also very comfortable and easy to wear (mine is now my default waterproof for walking the dogs, sorting the horse, pottering about in the rain etc.)
    My biggest issue is the hood – it folds away neatly, and that’s the best place for it! It covers your head but is so unadjustable it’s ridiculous It doesn’t move with your head and only just closes tight enough to stop rain. A shame, but it’s a cheap(ish) jacket.

I recently bought a new MT500 jacket and that is a different story – good hood, better fit and really good breathablility (64000). Unfortunately it’s more than double your budget! Sounds like you found a good option anyway, so I’m just commenting in case it helps anyone else 🙂

aikon
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    On that endura thermal what’s the point of windproof sleeves?
    Surely it should be your body.

For me windrpoof is a by product of the toughness of the sleeve, you can charge through bridleway brambles without the sleeves snagging, I had a barbed wire excursion in it the other day & it’s still unscathed.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you can find the Endura MTR Shell or Emergency Shell discounted then I’d highly recommend it.

Almost as breathable as a softshell and packs down really small.

richard

Thanks for the Flyte PSA from CRC. Ordered one to replace my rather worn out 6 year old one with which I’ve been very happy with.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

SportPursuit have some Endura stuff on sale at the moment…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Endura singletrack waterproof jacket’ is closed to new replies.