Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Encrypted audio CD's – any way to rip music
  • alanf
    Free Member

I have an audio CD that appears to have some sort of encrytion which doesn’t allow it to be ripped.
    I tried on a PC and 2 laptops but it doesn’t work on any.
    The CD is recognized and the details are shown in media player but the tracks will not rip. I have been back and replaced the CD at the store but the replacement does exactly the same.
    Any way to get this ripped?

seadog101

Try doing it with a Mac or Linux OS computer. If you have access to one of course. Sometimes works that way.

Cougar

Isobuster or Audiograbber.

Some protected discs also install rootkits and assorted horribleness. Run a malware scan.

bokonon
    Free Member

Name and shame the artist/label – this might also identify the precise system used, and a clear way round it.

alanf
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

It’s Led Zeppelin III remastered version on Atlantic, made in Germany if that makes any difference.

CountZero

Sony were infamous for this.I refused to buy an Indigo girls album because you could rip it into Windows Media player, and play it on a PC, but it wouldn’t even play on a Mac, let alone be ripped on one.

Cougar

It’ll probably say on the sleeve what it is. Cactus-200 would be my guess.

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_protections_cactus_data_shield.shtml

Works basically by having intentionally corrupt data on it which a player will interpolate, but a copier will trip up over. There’s plenty of software available that’s aware of it though.

To be honest, if it were me I’d probably just torrent it. I’d have no moral qualms doing so with music I already owned.

alanf
    Free Member

It is a bit strange that LZ 1, 2 and 4 all ripped without problems but 3 is affected and on 2 different discs.

dobo
    Free Member

Hi, i have led zeppelin I and III remastered on atlantic and both ripped fine with EAC in a secure setting. although i have used burst mode for CD that have been damaged and that worked but not 100% acuratley ripped but good enough.

not sure what to suggest other than trying to rip in linux, what OS and ripping software are you using?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Encrypted audio CD's – any way to rip music’ is closed to new replies.