Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • emissions testing is a joke
  • tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

got passed by a freelander, spewing out a large black cloud all over the place, looked it up when I got home and it only passed it’s MOT a couple of weeks ago

how bad do you have to be to fail!

mattyfez

Don’t diesels do a regeneration /cleaning cycle every so often where they spew out a load of filth?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Did you check what the black cloud consisted of ? Or are you just speculating. The stuff you need to really worry about is invisible to the eye.

bails

Discovery sports have only been out for a year or so haven’t they? So they wouldn’t need an MOT.

But I think diesels have to be pretty bad to fail. Assuming it’s a diesel, I’ve never seen a petrol spewing out black smoke, although I’m sure it’s possible.

edit:

Did you check what the black cloud consisted of ? Or are you just speculating. The stuff you need to really worry about is invisible to the eye.

But the diesel smoke test is on the visible stuff, not the really bad stuff.

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

Don’t diesels do a regeneration /cleaning cycle every so often where they spew out a load of filth?

this is rank, it went right in my face, can’t be allowed surely

Discovery sports have only been out for a year or so haven’t they? So they wouldn’t need an MOT.

my mistake, freelander it was

stevextc
    Free Member

this is rank, it went right in my face, can’t be allowed surely

We can’t legislate and ban stuff just because you find something rank…
    A lot of people find sweaty cyclists rank for example… but we don’t actually do them any harm.

A lot of spray deodorants are actually harmful…

What it sounds like you rode through is a diesel clean cycle where the really noxious stuff is burnt off making it less harmful (if more unpleasant) than cycling through a park when they are burning some branches and leaves…

Like sweaty cyclists and deodorant there is some happy ground where I don’t particularly want to be forced to use deodorants/antiperspirants with harmful chemicals because someone finds a bit of (fresh) sweat after riding into work a bit “rank”.

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

A lot of people find sweaty cyclists rank for example… but we don’t actually do them any harm.

yeah but I’m not holding up my armpit to the driver and forcing him to breathe it in!

comfyman
    Free Member

I was behind a Golf last week and the driver was proud of it’s badly chipped turbodiesel smog machine.

So much so, there was a sticker on the back from the chipping company proclaiming that “Just coz it smokes, don’t mean it’s broke”

A bellend and poor grammar; the perfect storm.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

When MOTs do a diesel smoke test the engine isn’t under load, so it’s fairly easy to pass a car that spews black smoke out of the exhaust while driving.

otsdr
    Free Member

The regeneration process occurs at road speeds higher than can generally be attained on city streets; vehicles driven exclusively at low speeds in urban traffic can require periodic trips at higher speeds to clean out the DPF.

So, no. Just a coalburner that should have been crushed years ago.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought the regen cycle actually burns the soot off, rather than simply ejecting it?

JAG

Yep – DPF Regen’ burns the soot and ejects gaseous emissions not particulate matter (which is what the OP describes).

Also DPF Regen’ requires a very particular set of circumstances that wouldn’t normally occur on a city street. Usually needs high exhaust gas temperatures (>600 Celsius) and high engine speeds.

Diesel Particulates build up in the exhaust system and are naturally exhausted during a normal drive cycle.

Putting your foot down hard is the usual reason for leaving a large Black cloud behind a Diesel engined vehicle.

ndthornton
    Free Member

looked it up when I got home

Seriously!
    You did that 😮

stevextc
    Free Member

yeah but I’m not holding up my armpit to the driver and forcing him to breathe it in!

True but it’s really more about living in an imperfect world and not letting it wind you up which can be really bad or health and well being.

I’m allergic to something in a decent percentage of womens perfumes…. (Don’t actually know what but its mainly older womens perfumes and it’s very unpleasant just being in a closed space.. (headaches and streaming eyes) so I’ll often end up having to get off a bus or change carriage on a train

However if it goes on my skin I get blisters… so I get really pissed at department stores who spray it about in the air deliberately…. so a lot of stores I usually try and find an entrance doesn’t go straight through perfumery….

I’d love to ban spraying perfumes on people… but I don’t think banning old womens perfumes is feasible and they are not doing it to make me ill…

The diesel was doubltess unpleasant but most likely a DPF clean… so not really harmful… and its just a consequence of creating “cleaner diesels” … which actually are more less polluting than petrol over certain journey’s.

Quite a lot of diesels were mis-sold in terms of the uses where they are less polluting/more efficient meaning the DPF never gets a chance to clean and they are producing more pollution in towns and when not warmed up ad especially both of those together….

but back to ….

Yeah but equally many people just see you cycled in and pretty much act like you are… often these are obese people who sweat more than I do cycling into work just walking up some stairs ..

But back to your thread title … emissions tests are a joke but that is really down to the people that set them. Not that I condone Audi but the emissions tests have turned into a game with the legislative body setting rules that manufactures then have to circumvent… in Audi’s case going to far.

molgrips
    Free Member

The diesel was doubltess unpleasant but most likely a DPF clean

No it wasn’t.

nickewen
    Free Member

I’ve had this from a piece of shit old jag diesel on my commute. Fella overtakes booting it ejecting a load of black crap which I then breathe in. This is definitely not a regen thing and if I’m coughing immediately because of it then I definitely think it’s something I SHOULD worry about. I’m with the OP it’s a pisstake. In my view any DERV spewing shite out the back needs taking off the road and fixed or crushed.

OP what plate was it on? Not the full reg just year?

trail_rat
    Free Member

That’ll be all buses off the road , all bar the latest trucks and Vans then.

Hope you don’t like buying stuff at the shops or having stuff sent mail order.

All their vehicles have just been crushed.

nickewen
    Free Member

So be it – why is it acceptable for vehicles to spew filthy black soot out the back? Plenty of buses round my way don’t and there’s even some electric buses. Not that I get on them I prefer cycling

molgrips
    Free Member

New cars are subject to much better emissions controls. As the old ones die we’ll be better off.

garage-dweller

Nick in reality at any one point in time a lot of those vehicles were state of the art for emissions and most of what’s on the road now is way way better than the diesels of my youth.

The bigger element of the issue is driver behaviour.

If you boot it in a big older (say pre 2009 for this purpose when dpfs had pretty much become standard) diesel it will dump a pile of soot out of the exhaust but once at cruising speed that cloud is hugely reduced in most circumstances (I.e. you are not pulling a mobile shed up a 12% gradient).

If you keep the revs down, short shift up through the box (like you probably should around town) and waft along on the engine’s torque it produces a huge amount less soot unless it’s not been serviced / it’s genuinely knackered.

My old 2004 Mondeo only really chucked a lot of soot out if it was being pushed hard (uphill motorway slip road or overtaking molgrips’ caravan 😛 for example). The rest of the time it was not being followed by a thick black cloud even with 150000+ miles on it.

The issue is more owner than vehicle. If people didn’t see every traffic light as the starting sequence for a more convenient version of a run what you brung session at Santa Pod then the roads would be less toxic and a dam site safer.

The new cars don’t soot so much when being pushed which is better obviously but they are rank when doing a regen.

Disclaimer: I have never knowingly overtaken molgrips in real life.

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

OP what plate was it on? Not the full reg just year?

2010 from memory, looked and sounded in good condition

squirrelking
    Free Member

So be it – why is it acceptable for wood burners to spew filthy black soot out the chimney? Plenty of gas fires round my way don’t and there’s even some electric heating. Not that I get on them I prefer GCHP

Repeat ad nauseum.

I must say though, I have become far more aware over last few weeks of how friggin’ disgusting oil burners can be. A lot of smokers round my way and it’s not pleasant following them for a good minute after they overtake.

CountZero

So, no. Just a coalburner that should have been crushed years ago.

I’ve seen some very smokey petrol cars a couple quite recently, that were leaving a thick white smokescreen behind them under normal cruising conditions.
    And I’ve seen pretty new diesel vans leaving smoke behind them while cruising as well.
    So the answer is obvious: crush all cars at the dealers to stop idiots buying them and failing to keep them serviced properly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP agreed, the testing is a joke. Not just the MOT the whole new approval process. At least we test our cars every year, the French its only every 2

spennyy
    Free Member

Also DPF Regen’ requires a very particular set of circumstances that wouldn’t normally occur on a city street. Usually needs high exhaust gas temperatures (>600 Celsius) and high engine speeds.

Not necessarily, my focus does the regen cycle roughly every 500 miles and at normal engine speeds, you know it’s doing it as the exhaust note changes but there’s no visible difference in what it spews out the back end

simmy
    Free Member

My Fiesta is the same, regens approx every 500 miles and it will do it around town at any random point.

When it does regen, it absolutely stinks like burning rubber, kicks out a plume of grey smoke that James Bond would be proud of and requires a firmer accelerator when setting off else it will stall.

Oh, the radiator fan kicks in as well.

nickewen
    Free Member

I agree with all of that ^^^ Garagedweller – especially the bit about driver behaviour. People that can’t manage a journey without constant harsh accelerate/brake/accelerate/brake sequences should be shot at their journey end. As you say it’s dangerous and not good for the environment but what really gets me is that it’s also costing people more money in fuel/brakes etc. and IMO doesn’t get them anywhere quicker but they still do it.

I understand your point that some of these vehicles would have once be state of the art but if they aren’t now then they need updating or scrapping IMO.

binners

looked it up when I got home and it only passed it’s MOT a couple of weeks ago

For your own benefit, I suggest you get out a bit more.

I’m afraid that diesel engines belong in agricultural equipment, artics, old trains and generators, and that’s it! They have no place under the bonnet of a car.

nedrapier

and a turbot boost hose can split halfway through a journey, say hello to massive black clouds if you put your foot down.

richmtb

and a turbot boost hose can split halfway through a journey, say hello to massive black clouds if you put your foot down.

The smell of fish is terrible as well.

anyway diesels are for agriculture

Edukator
    Free Member

New cars are subject to much better emissions controls. As the old ones die we’ll be better off.

It was the fact that NOX in cities wasn’t significantly down several years after Euro 4 and 5 regs should have reduced them as the old diesels went to the breakers that propted the real-conditions tests that ended up as dieselgate.

Diesels with urea injection should finally start to reduce NOX from diesels, however the very latest petrol engines could be producing more NOX under real driving conditions than the equivalent engines ten years ago. The latest genration of turbo petrol engines are running combustion temperatures at full power that have made NOX an issue with petrol engines, however, the test cycles don’t include full power running.

gwaelod
    Free Member
    ransos
    Free Member

Nick in reality at any one point in time a lot of those vehicles were state of the art for emissions and most of what’s on the road now is way way better than the diesels of my youth.

Not really. Evidence tells us that precious little progress has been made in reducing NOx (even the latest Euro 6 vehicles are many times worse than their official tests), and that coupled with the far greater volume of diesel sales is the dominant reason for poor urban air quality.

molgrips
    Free Member

Evidence tells us that precious little progress has been made in reducing NOx (even the latest Euro 6 vehicles are many times worse than their official tests)

Not sure about this. Wasn’t the VW scandal to do with the Euro V ones? I don’t think most of the scare has been about SCR engines, has it? AFAIK SCR works.

It was the fact that NOX in cities wasn’t significantly down several years after Euro 4 and 5 regs should have reduced them as the old diesels went to the breakers that propted the real-conditions tests that ended up as dieselgate.

SCR is still new, and traffic volume is still rising no?

however the very latest petrol engines could be producing more NOX under real driving conditions than the equivalent engines ten years ago.

Good point. As for full power though – not often used in town?

ransos
    Free Member

Not sure about this. Wasn’t the VW scandal to do with the Euro V ones? I don’t think most of the scare has been about SCR engines, has it? AFAIK SCR works.

There have been plenty of independent tests on Euro 6 cars, and the results are not encouraging. Buses, large vans and HGVs do better.

Edukator
    Free Member

Mercedes has announced a recall that includes Euro 6 diesels.

molgrips
    Free Member

So SCR can work, it’s just car manufacturers who have been cheating….

stevextc
    Free Member

Not really. Evidence tells us that precious little progress has been made in reducing NOx (even the latest Euro 6 vehicles are many times worse than their official tests), and that coupled with the far greater volume of diesel sales is the dominant reason for poor urban air quality.

The problem is the testing ….
    Manufacturers will manufacture to beat tests …. but the tests themselves are as per title of the thread a complete joke.

People then buy based on the joke testing results … resulting in people buying diesels for town.

The manufacturers don’t mind whether you buy diesel, petrol, hybrid or electric so long as you buy….
    They don’t have a diesel agenda .. they have a what sells under the rules agenda.

Diesels are crap at short trips … good at long ones…. you can improve either but that’s not what’s happening because the tests are trying to beat both or they fail … rather than take an approach that diesels will be efficient at longer trips or pulling big loads therefore that is where they should be made less polluting as that is where they will be used if people had access to proper test figures…

spooky_b329

I had to laugh the other day when an MOT tester told me the emissions check was very stringent.

Its clearly very basic; if you can take a modern car that qualifies for one of the lower tax bands, and then blank off the EGR, remove the DPF (admittedly I think thats a visual check now?) and get it chipped (removing all the emission control maps) and causing it to belch black smoke when under hard acceleration, and then just waltz through without any issues, its not stringent!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Well it’s a Ringleman smoke test, that’s pretty stringent by the standards of 1888.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘emissions testing is a joke’ is closed to new replies.