• This topic has 51 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by drlex.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Elton John…yet another biography/money making scheme…
  • maccruiskeen

Yeah, given he’s supposedly worth £300m, I don’t know why he seems to be so greedy for a bit of retirement money now, maybe he wants to retire to Mars?

I’ve no real interest in his work …… but people whose job is to perform to an audience don’t stop just they can afford to.

zippykona

Imagine if Jimi Hendrix and Gram Parsons hadn’t died.

I bet they would be shit.

kcr
    Free Member

Q&A in the Guardian last week was quite funny. The answer to Bob Dylan’s question is a cracker:
    ‘This is a very good question, Bob Dylan’: Elton John, interviewed by famous fans

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/oct/12/this-is-a-very-good-question-bob-dylan-elton-john-interviewed-by-famous-fans

CountZero

Imagine if Jimi Hendrix and Gram Parsons hadn’t died.

I bet they would be shit.

I bet they probably wouldn’t be, same as Sandy Denny, Jeff Buckley and Buddy Holly; they would have grown and adapted as they got older – Hendrix was already showing signs of it, heading in a more jazz-influenced style.

Sandwich

thought the Lion King insufferable.

After the nth time of watching I would agree, my kids played it on repeat when it was first out on VHS tape. If you didn’t see it on VHS you weren’t there maan.

Watty

Saw him this summer and he was amazing. Can’t stand the bloke, but . . . Tumbleweed Connection is one of my favourite albums

Bunnyhop

Haha – yes my spelling is atrocious.

RustySpanner

This is a great example of why I try not to get involved in musical threads on here anymore.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Elton John, interviewed by famous fans

I enjoyed that. Ta kcr

martinhutch

Whatever you think about his music, the book sounds like a hoot.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/oct/16/me-elton-john-autobiography-review

Bunnyhop

Of course when someone is as famous as he is, they will get surrounded by sycophants. He’s intelligent enough to take the mickey out of himself.
    At all the Elton concerts I’ve been to, he’s interacted with the audience, been heckled by a few and given as good as he’s got. He’s a proper musician and definitely gives value for money.
    There are some very early albums which are fabulous and I still listen to them today.
    There are many, many famous musicians who, when playing live aren’t that good.
    Elton is up there along with Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney (of whom I’m not a fan,) Rod Stewart and Tom Jones. I’m using these people as I have seen them all live. Way after all these people have departed this mortal coil, their music will still be played.

drlex
    Free Member

Thanks, martinhutch for that book review link; I particularly liked this

[Elton’s] book is closer in spirit to David Niven’s memoirs with their litany of namedrops – although Niven, as far as I know, never wrote a line like “I sat around, w**king, in a dressing gown covered in my own puke.”

That’s my mother outlaw’s Christmas present sorted.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Elton John…yet another biography/money making scheme…’ is closed to new replies.