Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,034 total)
  • Elon Musk
  • mattyfez

I thought the ‘space Karen’ thing was a stroke of genius!

scuttler

Script for the next series of Succession being rewritten as we speak?

frankconway

…has now re-instated trump’s a/c.
    Madness has been unleashed.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Jesus, has Mar-A-Lago been running on swamp coolers all this time? That would drive anyone nuts.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think after the myspace debacle Murdoch will be keeping to the old fashioned media. It has lost some effectiveness but still has plenty of punching power and he is a master of it.

I think there’s a gap in the market.

Launch it as a means to log in and comment on news story’s on one thread rather than the disparate facebook, twitter, etc feeds. Add in some echo chambering so 90% of the comments you see agree with you.

Allow anyone to post their own ‘news’.

Et Voila, new twitter.

sirromj

I guess not everyone share’s the general opinion in this thread, not this influencer anyway:

thols2

Why would you tattoo a penis on your forehead? He has a picture of a rocket too.

squirrelking
    Free Member

He’s right though. He is a rocket.

monkeyboyjc

What’s everyone’s views on Apple pulling a large proportion of its advertising from twitter?

It’s seems like Elon has forgotten that he has to keep his major add revenue clients happy for his social town square experiment to work. Add into that Apple holding the platform to 30% of his users. Could this be the straw that broke the camels back?

jonnyboi

I did giggle when I read it. Poor entitled Elon doesn’t get his money back

ratherbeintobago

Apple pulling advertising isn’t the same as them pulling the app from the App Store (unless they’ve done that too, which would kill Twitter, I think)

But he needs the advertising revenue to pay the interest on the loans he took out to pay for this…

I see Jack Dorsey is setting up a new SoMe platform

Poopscoop

He’s playing the free speech card against Apple I see.

That’s his answer to any criticism basically.

Does that mean we can all go on Twitter and call him a c*** and not get banned?😂

What a man child.

vlad_the_invader

Not an Apple fanboy but Apple should be free to spend their advertising revenue wherever they want (free speech) BUT I have reservations about whether they should have the power to pull the app from the app store (without allowing their phones to have apps installed from alternative sources)

ratherbeintobago

I don’t know why he thinks free speech is an argument here.

People may have the right to say what they want, but that doesn’t come without consequences as Alex Jones is finding out. One of those consequences is advertisers saying ‘this platform isn’t for us’.

maccruiskeen

But he needs the advertising revenue to pay the interest on the loans he took out

Twitter  already had the advertising revenue, and was losing hundreds of millions per year before Elon added a billion a year of interest payments to their outgoings.

dissonance

I don’t know why he thinks free speech is an argument here.

Its because your understanding of free speech diverges from his.
    His seems to be that him and anyone with similar beliefs should be allowed to say what they want when they want without consequence.
    Others not so much.
    Alex Jones is a great example. Musk has said he is still banned from twitter since Musk finds what he said about the shootings offensive.
    Which whilst I dont disagree doesnt really support his claimed position on free speech.

crazy-legs

His seems to be that him and anyone with similar beliefs should be allowed to say what they want when they want without consequence.
    Others not so much.

Which is the exact Republican definition of free speech.

All the while claiming that the media (which they mostly own) is too leftwing and woke and snowflake-y and shouldn’t be in any way critical.

FuzzyWuzzy

I have reservations about whether they should have the power to pull the app from the app store

I’m pretty sure Musk is vastly overstating things when he says Apple are threatening to pull Twitter from the App Store – I suspect they’ve sent a reminder that social media apps available on the App Store must have a certain level of moderation. They pulled Parler in the past and have since re-instated it so it’s nothing to do with Musk allowing right-wing nut jobs back on the platform – they’ll just need to be moderated/banned if they cross the line (again) into hate speech etc.

monkeyboyjc

I’m pretty sure Musk is vastly overstating things when he says Apple are threatening to pull Twitter from the App Store

I’d suspect that he’s threatened to not pay them, as from the tweets I’ve seen, he’s been quite vocal about a 30% hidden apple tax – which is just the fee apple take from every app.

The man’s an absolute nut case.

dissonance

I’m pretty sure Musk is vastly overstating things when he says Apple are threatening to pull Twitter from the App Store

I dunno. He is moving it towards a subscription based model so Apple are likely to want their normal cut for in app purchases. Since Musk apparently posted a meme saying he wasnt going to do that it could well end in tears/court cases.

Just beaten to the probable problem!

ratherbeintobago

I think the workaround when there’s no app is just to put a web shortcut on your iPhone homepage, but obviously it’s not quite as good.

The rights and wrongs aside, if Apple want to charge 30% for in-app purchases on what is a popular platform because of rather than despite being a walled garden, then that’s Apple’s look out. Musk has essentially two choices, and using the bear wrestling metaphor, as wealthy as he is, Apple is the bear here.

doris5000

I’d suspect that he’s threatened to not pay them, as from the tweets I’ve seen, he’s been quite vocal about a 30% hidden apple tax – which is just the fee apple take from every app.

As I understand it, it’s also levied on any money users pay through the app – so this would also apply to the $8/month blue tick stuff.

ratherbeintobago

There’s a ‘yes and no’ there. If they subscribe through the iOS app then yes, but it’s possible (as plenty of other apps do) to allow subscription elsewhere and validate on the app.

Something like 60% of US teenagers have an Apple phone so it’s a huge market even with the 30% cut.

mashr

30% hidden apple tax

ah yes, the hidden tax that they announced to the world world on stage via Steve Jobs. I can’t see how Musk isn’t just turning off more and more companies, and Must empire board members, right now

dissonance

If they subscribe through the iOS app then yes, but it’s possible (as plenty of other apps do) to allow subscription elsewhere and validate on the app.

I thought that the ability to advertise it is restricted though. Certainly a whole bunch of legal cases going on in various countries at the moment with some countries having better options than others.
    Throwing the toys out of the pram though as Musk seems to be doing isnt likely to end well.

benpinnick

I imagine Apple quite fancy buying Twitter on the cheap. They’re likely to keep twisting the knife for some while.

FuzzyWuzzy

Not sure Apple really want something like Twitter, difficult to make money out of it and just opens a big can of worms for PR (as Musk is finding out). Much easier just to take a cut of any subscription revenue it does manage to generate.

chakaping
    Free Member

“Elon Musk set to become number-one influencer on Twitter”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63751515

He’ll probably love this, but it kind-of says it all about him and this whole sorry saga.

Love this quote, from a former insider: “I think people who tweet a lot are addicted – and possibly narcissistic. No single person has enough interesting things to say to the entire world to tweet more than five times a day.”

chakaping
    Free Member

Not sure Apple really want something like Twitter, difficult to make money out of it and just opens a big can of worms for PR

Agreed, Apple prefer making money to losing it.

Twitter is a vanity project akin to buying a print newspaper.

monkeyboyjc

So according to the man who tweets every 15mins, apple really don’t like his changes to twitter.

thols2

dissonance

Wonder how many HR and payroll staff decided to walk when given the ultra hardcore rubbish or 3months salary option?

cookeaa

Not an Apple fanboy but Apple should be free to spend their advertising revenue wherever they want (free speech) BUT I have reservations about whether they should have the power to pull the app from the app store (without allowing their phones to have apps installed from alternative sources)

Well I mean it’s a commercial decision which is the kind of thing businesses tend to have to make, Apple are very much allowed to decide not to advertise with or support the twitter app. TBF Elon has been taking lots of big boy decisions himself recently, apparently without considering the possible ramifications.

If apple have weighed up the pro’s and Con’s and decided that on balance Apple customers (Inc the true Fan-boys/girls) would rather not help to prop up his Muskiness then it’s probably wise to yank their advertising and at least consider pulling app support. Musk certainly shouldn’t expect any special treatment on fees, apparently the business is worth $40B so it’s not like they can’t afford their Apple tithe 😉

How many Apple Fans would really switch to Android just so they can use Twitter? Maybe it’s all a test for the faithful…

monkeyboyjc

I wonder if apples advertisement revenue data has tracked as a positive return on the 40million apple has spend on advertising on twitter over the course of this year, vs drop-off or uptake after the EM takeover.

Either the apple exec’s have decided that money could be better spent else where or they have made a commercial decision to distance themselves from twitter, even if temporary.

Tbf em is probably giving apple a load of free advertising by the amount of tweets he’s spouting off against them.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Twitter is a vanity project akin to buying a print newspaper.

Oi! I’ve got 3.

Edukator
    Free Member

France Inter have reported that Twiitter has removed moderation of vaccine fake news. It will be interesting to see how Apple react to that provocation. As a public health and putting lives in danger issue that would justify removal from the app store.

thols2

Yeah, when you think about it, trading your cow for magic beans was a better deal than buying Twitter.

chakaping
    Free Member

Oi! I’ve got 3.

Cool.

But how many space rockets do you own?

CountZero

As far as the 30% thing goes, Google also apply 30% to the Play Store, but oddly enough, that never get’s mentioned. Neither does the fact that 30% only applies to the first year on the App Store, it drops to 15% after that.

Does that mean we can all go on Twitter and call him a c*** and not get banned?😂

No. I thought I’d give it a try, and sent a tweet to MTG, (Margery Taylor Green) saying what a reprehensible human she was, and to eat shit and walk barefoot on Lego bricks, or words to that effect. My Twitter account has been blocked. So much for free speech. Of course, because she’s a Republican, she can say whatever she wants and get away with it.

The block is still there, sometime or other I might take the tweet down, having made my point, but I’m in no great rush.

CountZero
Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 1,034 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.