• This topic has 228 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 229 total)
  • Elite Dangerous
  • jolmes
    Free Member

Seem to go through phases with games, currently Diablo III. My time with elite dangerous is a much love hate relationship. Love the combat, used to just spend hours bounty hunting and amassed a around 50 million in credits before getting too cocky and getting blown apart by an Anaconda – I was only a viper mkIV so didn’t last long at all. Haven’t played it since in disgust at my own actions 🙁

Fantastic game though if you have time 🙂

DavidB
    Free Member

Is it possible to play ED online without becoming kiddy cannon fodder? I gave up on online gaming after respawn number 1000000000. I

weeksy

About 700 hours in game, since not long after it came out.

Say what now!

Cougar

Have they added a tutorial yet, or is it still “watch two hours’ worth of videos?” I bought it on the Xbox a while back but don’t think I’ve made it out of the hangar yet.

I had a quick play on the PC version when it was in beta. I was trying to work out the controls, managed to take off, then found the “fire” button before finding “thrust.” The station’s internal defences activated and shot me to ribbons, my inaugural flight was about five yards.

Cougar

Seem to go through phases with games, currently Diablo III.

I’ve just picked D3 back up again, there’s a new Necromancer expansion out which is very silly.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

weeksy – Member
    About 700 hours in game, since not long after it came out.
    Say what now!

I was single at the time, it allows for gaming as well as cycling!

Drac

Is it possible to play ED online without becoming kiddy cannon fodder? I gave up on online gaming after respawn number 1000000000. I

Solo or Private means there’s only NPCs or trusted players.

Have they added a tutorial yet, or is it still “watch two hours’ worth of videos?” I bought it on the Xbox a while back but don’t think I’ve made it out of the hangar yet.

Yup there’s tutorials.

Say what now!

A whole one hour or less per day.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve only played a couple of hours including the tutorials and haven’t been shot at yet, playing online. Maybe just lucky but it seems fine from that pov.

Couple of questions for those who’ve played more. How do you know where to dock once you’ve requested permission? I know it’s highlighted but if it’s out of view on a large station it’s not always obvious. Second, tip for a good, reasonably safe trade route early on?

Drac

There’s a targeting area to the left of the scanner that looks like a crosshairs, bring he blue dot into there if it’s solid it’s in front of you, if the dot is clear then it’s behind.

If you enetering a port you look for the side that’s rotating anit-clockwise.

I’ve not had issues trading been locked on to take out of hyperspace a few times but if take the escape route, only the on time did they get me out of hyperspace but I just jumped again, they persuaded me but they got killed as they entered federation space.

allan23
    Free Member

Is it possible to play ED online without becoming kiddy cannon fodder? I gave up on online gaming after respawn number 1000000000.

I play in Open on PC all the time, only once had trouble from other players, pair of Fer de Lance camping the Station Slot and blowing anything up that flew in.

Vast majority are OK. Went back on this weekend and hunted down a couple of Thargoid bases. Quite creepy to land at drive a SRV round.

Didn’t have the Unknown Artifacts for getting inside the base and playing with the Thargoid Machinery. YouTube video is impressive.

Easiest way of making money I found is Passenger Missions. I use this Dolphin build:

https://eddp.co/u/BFoFX1d3

Depending on reputation and the mission you can make 2 to 4 million a run. Bigger rewards if you’re willing to risk passengers with a wanted rating or long distance trips.

Biowaste from some Planetary bases can be lucrative as well.

StirlingCrispin

This book has an excellent chapter on how the original game was written and squeezed into under 32MB.

olddog

I’ve had it for a while, it was either a beta or some other pre-release version. I have put in a good few hours, but tbh not enough going on for me. Easy enough to trade at profit, only once attacked by another person and NPC easy to avoid.

There seem to have been loads of releases and generally new content since I last dabbled, so I may give it another go when I’ve got time and use of both my hands back 🙁

Cougar

This book has an excellent chapter on how the original game was written and squeezed into under 32MB.

It was all procedurally generated, wasn’t it? Very clever.

D0NK

Finally got it for pc on monday, already clocked up a few hours on it <yawn>
    Had a go at the training options but still quite frustrating play on Monday evening, watched a bunch of vids and had a better experience last night. Few kill steals got me enough cash for a cobra, *just* enough, only had credits left over for 1 buy back, went out and got a couple of bounties so I’ve got cash for 2 buy backs now, still a nervy experience tho.
    Got knocked about a bit by an NPC which destroyed my scanner so I couldn’t target/contact station to get landing permission. Googling found a reboot option, turn off the whole ships systems, turn it on again, scanner back in 1% condition, enough to do the job. I thought it was pretty cool, quite hidden away in sub menus tho.

tips from my mistkes/experiences
    in super cruise keep it at 100% throttle til 6s to go then drop to 75%, often feels like you’re going to overshoot but everything should line up for blue.
    Find a wanted ship near nav beacon or high RES (if you can find one), wait for system defence/whoever to batter it down to <40% hull (lower for bigger ships) then start firing, big ships get you >100k bounty
    Listen to docking confirmation and note the pad number I tried landing on someone else’s pad last night 😕
    You need to be facing the correct direction to land, usually away from the entrance.

Drac

Yeah I got caught a few times by landing on the wrong pad.

jolmes
    Free Member

I’ve just picked D3 back up again, there’s a new Necromancer expansion out which is very silly.

Yup i remembered about the new exp the other day and thought i’d give it a go. seems very silly indeed and not exactly as i thought when remembering d1/d2 still a bit fun and addictive though, “oh just one more rift”

zilog6128

Lol. It’s as if the kilobyte never even existed. Kids today, etc. 🙂

JackHammer

I’ve got it, bought the horizons pack too.

Man is this game complex.

Dull too at times.

nemesis
    Free Member

If you buy the horizons season pass, does it expire or cover just one of the expansions or all up to 2.5 (as it suggests) after which the would be a new one?

Drac

Gerneally Season Passes cover future add ons but as you say it’s not that clear.

nemesis
    Free Member

So, at £14 is horizons worthwhile assuming it’ll only go up to 2.4?

Drac

I’ve not bought it yet but it looks promising.

D0NK

anyone know about community goals? Even the lowest payout is a big one for a n00b, but I did some bring order to rakapila bounty hunting last night got 3 bounties and I still don’t seem to qualify for the “100% tier” yet any ideas what the minimum is to qualify? (I did sign up for it before the kills)

Similarly the trade ones any ideas how many items you have to import to get onto the score table?

PJM1974
    Free Member

That should read Kilobytes. I’m currently working with a .csv file which is 10KB larger!

The idea was to procedurally generate each star and planet system, according to a basic template of rules which meant that each time you played, the procedurally generated star, planet, government, pirate activity etc would be exactly the same. The names of planets were generated this way too, with coding rules implemented to ensure that no matter how far across the seven galaxies you flew, you’d never find a planet named “Knob”.

Drac

Not tried any yet Donk but will be soon, busy with some transport missions as so type I can pimp out my viper.

Drac

Ok.

After flying into the wrong zone losing 2 ships I tried to Nav Beacon area waiting for wanted to fly in, after a about 30 mins I got 2 kills. One was for a 200k bounty so I’ve got my Cr back for lost ships. Seems you have to get the right bounty the wanted by the Rakapila not the federation, hand them in your vouchers. Currently I’m in the 75% with 22 hours to go a potential 4.5m Cr. 😀

jodafett

Broke my collarbone a couple of weeks so this games gonna be a godsend! Currently cruising about in a Cobra wondering which direction to take it i.e Pirate/explorer etc

StirlingCrispin

Lol. It’s as if the kilobyte never even existed. Kids today, etc

Valid point.

32KB.

I used to dream of that much memory – having learnt to program on a machine (PDP-11/70) where you had to bootstrap Basic.

racefaceec90

good luck commanders o7

i love elite dangerous (i play on xb1).

to begin with it’s bloody difficult to get to grips with,but once you start to get the hang of things the game gets a lot better.

i have to take a break from it now and again as i overplay the game (it can be very addictive).

watch out for thargoids (and nair do well pirates).

EDIT i would definitely recommend the horizons dlc as you won’t be able to land on any planets or go to any engineers to upgrade your ship otherwise.

as for the season pass i think it will cover up to 2.4 and then they are getting rid of the season passes (i think but could be wrong).

Drac

Messed up twice and lost another 2 ships, still in the 75% percentile though and also just done a transport mission which has secured me another 500k. I’m going to pop on again for a little bit to boost these hopefully to secure a bit more and push me up the percentile.

nemesis
    Free Member

Dammit! Horizons just went up to full price on steam 🙄

jodafett

This ‘auto-dock’ malarkey saves a bit of time!

Drac

Yup upgraded 2 ships with that.

Wide awake as I’ve been nights, all being well tomorrow I should make about 10m Cr.

Del

squeezed into 16kb actually. 16kb was for the system. 😉
    see you in the black commanders 😀

jodafett

Only just reach 2m cr 😳 what’s the best ship for passenger missions?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

It’s easy to be cynical about Star Citizen…but I think development is quicker with each passing month.

These are different videos, despite the same preview image.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpVyP21kY7o[/video]

Millenium Falcon like space ships you can walk around, great space combat, ship boarding, railguns, beautiful desert world, speeder bikes and a freaking giant worm.

Yeah, Star Was doesn’t have shit on this. If it’s good, it will be the sci-fi worlds game equivalent to 1977.

Cougar

How’s the ED “landing on planets” work? Does it turn into an FPS?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

No ED doesn’t, landing feels pretty seamless – but the best you can do is bash around in a rover type thing.

allan23
    Free Member

Posted earlier in thread, the link below is to the Coriolis Ship build site.

Dolphin with 6 person First Class cabin. Gives me about 4 million a tourist mission. You can get more passenegers in if you drop the class to business but the rewards don’t go up that much.

Dolphin is probably the cheapest way to start on passenger missions, Asp Explorer can work well, especially if you’re messing about with wanted or high risk passengers and may need to fight.

Dolphin build is about 8 million including the ship cost. You don’t need the 4A fuel scoop and Advanced Discovery Scanner at first so can save a bit there.

Just need another 20 or 30 million and I’ll have enough with trade in to exchange my Python for an Anaconda.

https://eddp.co/u/BFoFX1d3

If you’re bounty hunting at Nav Beacons then fit a Warrant Scanner if there is room. Standard scan gives you bounty for the current system only, the Warranty scan gives bounties in all systems so you can increase the rewards.

Drac

Cheers Allan.

I raised about 500k last night bouncing cargo back and forth for the community challenge so bought a passenger cab for my Cobra.

My Viper has a Warranty Scanner fitted, I keep messing up though and picking targets I shouldn’t take on. Even the Federation couldn’t take down one in time I started attacking before I died. 😆

Yeah Star Citizen will happen, one day, it looks amazing I’ve watched videos but it’s PC only and currently still not planning on building another Gaming PC.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 229 total)

The topic ‘Elite Dangerous’ is closed to new replies.