• This topic has 228 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 29 posts - 201 through 229 (of 229 total)
  • Elite Dangerous
  • D0NK

Been doing the trade CG, quit at 1000 tons as i was getting bored running the same route for very little money

yeah but what reward did you get? I shipped over to there last thing Thurs night with 1 load, fired up PC last night took another 100T over only to find CG had finished – not surprising with people shifting 1000T each 😉 eager beavers, still got 800,000Cr for very little work 🙂 (I got ~13M for about 500t of goods last time) now for the bounties…..

allan23
    Free Member

I’m procrastinating and not firing it up. Fancied having a go at the Guardian Ancient Ruins scans. 100 and odd scans and some artefact collecting that if you do it all can net a huge amount of cash.

Raining outside so could be an Elite day with a quick Zwift later on.

On the Hotas thing, not sure. Mine is the TFlight Hotas X with the red trim and a PC\PlayStation switch – about a year old. There’s one with blue trim that may be PS4 only and an Xbox One version now. If there’s another new one with extra buttons I might consider an upgrade.
    You can setup mode switch on the basic one, in the custom bindings for Elite, press and hold the button you want to use as mode switch and then button you want as a command. So you could have Joy5 as Supercruise and Joy8+Joy5 as Jump. Kind of works, there are loads of keymaps on Reddit if you stand having to look at Reddit. Another place those people who use Twitter and leave YouTube comments live – often need to wash afterwards 🙁

[Edit: Just realised, I play on PC, might not work on PS4 the same]

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Been doing the Ancient Guardians mission for the last couple of days. It’s very absorbing, whizzing around ancient ruins learning about a long dead(?) civilisation..
    I’m 75% done, another day should see me heading back into the bubble to cash in my 201million credit reward… 😀

Can definitely back up the HOTAS opinions, I’ve been playing Elite since beta and can’t imagine how anyone can cope without one, it transforms how the game plays. For example, lots of people keep going on about docking computers, can’t see the reason to clog up a slot with one as I can be inside a station within a minute of dropping out of super cruise, aligning with the slot and matching rotation is just so much more intuitive with a HOTAS.
    Just trying my best to forget about the Oculus price drop.. although.. my birthday is in a couple of weeks.. 😉

jolmes
    Free Member

@DONK, this is the 2nd trade CG this week, the devs set the total sum needed wrong, missed a few 000’s from the quantity needed and the goal was finished in 8 hours…from that i did two loads and got like 8 mill 🙂 in which i had enough to buy my ASP. Running superconductors into conway city now at around 500k profit per run. Looking at 1072 tons collected and i’m only at top 50% with a return of 2.2mcr currently.

Drac

Transporting for the CG just done one run and made 170k just from that. 😀

Now. I’ve upgraded to 64 Ton cargo hold do I go brave and swap the shield generator with a 32?

jolmes
    Free Member

Ive never get rid of the shield generator just for more space, the amount of times i’ve been interdicted today is mental, its almost every run now. shield has saved my arse multiple times 🙂

Drac

That’s my fear I’ve not removed them.

Drac

Seem people are taking part in the CGs now the bounty hunting one has been completed, I had a quick go of it yesterday morning before heading out but only enough to gain in the top 100%.

allan23
    Free Member

Well that’s been a session and a half, started the Ancient Ruin scans.

Travelled over 1000LY, 101 scans in the SRV and finally got the 201,000,000CR message. Flying back to the bubble and home to cash in and make the Anaconda a bit less of a barge. Only 34 jumps and about 700LY to go.

A bit of a long job but not as dull as I’d expected.

Drac

That’s some pay out though.

nemesis
    Free Member

The Thargoids are coming!

D0NK

possibly daft questions, I’ve got the horizons version (possibly season pack) is the 2.4 a free upgrade or will I need to buy it?

Had assumed I’d have to pay for it but had a quick look and I can’t see a purchase option

Also seen some “back up your bindings” notifications

jolmes
    Free Member

Its just an update I think. If you have it through steam it’ll just update or just open up the Elite Dangerous Launcher and iirc there is a look for updates button? Could be wrong on that last one

D0NK

cool, will just have to make sure I back up bindings before steam steamrollers the update on 🙂

Drac

Yup it’s a patch with a big update.

I’ve not been on in months as the weather has been to good, might start back up if the weather turns rubbish.

pondo

Sorely – VERY sorely – tempted to spend money I don’t really have on PS4 and ED… Is it workable with the standard dualshock doobbery, or do I need to find more cash I don’t have on a controller? Don’t have to bother with a headset or anything, do I?

Drac

You can pick them up cheap enough secondhand they DualShock works very well with ED they’ve put a lot of thought into it.

pondo

Cheers Drac, much appreciated. 🙂 *wrestles with conscience*

nemesis
    Free Member

First Thargoid encounter today near Maia.

Ouch…

D0NK

was a rebuy involved nemesis? I haven’t run in to any yet

D0NK

Couple of Qs incase anyone is still interested. For trading ships do you bother fitting guns? As I haven’t been successfully interdicted by NPC and I mainly play in mobius/solo I figure there’s no point, anyone see a flaw in there? (I’m also scrapping shields for more cargo and to run silently for smuggling, occasional scrapes to repair but worth it so far)

Also is anyone using missiles? Have only used MC and various lasers fully engineered, missiles sound like they have potential but possibly just a load of faff. Is anyone going to convince me otherwise? Done some searches but not got any solid info, most of it dated so has probably been patched into insignificance.

jolmes
    Free Member

I always ran shields with trading but only in open play, solo play there was no point as the interdiction always failed.

Never used missiles though so no epxerience there, in my combat set up i always used burst lasers to take their shield down then gimballed turrets, kinetic thingys, cant remember the name right now :S

wildc4rd
    Free Member

Missiles and Torps are more an Alpha strike thing, great for PvP but not as useful in PvE as the amount of ammo is low.

When trading, especially in the bigger ships (that turn too slowly to win the Interdiction mini-game), just throttle back and submit to the interdiction, as soon as you drop hit the throttle and keep boosting until FSD cooldown is up, then jump away. As long as you are flying something other than a T9 with E rated thrusters you will generally jump out with only a few hits.

I’d always run a small shield, just in case to be honest. Definitely no weapons other than a Point Defence or 2 on a trader, you want max jump range generally.

D0NK

Definitely no weapons other than a Point Defence or 2 on a trader, you want max jump range generally.

Yeah I followed masark’s guide at the start so always run a stripped out build on traders, like this. TBH even with the medium-big ships the interdiction game mini game seems pretty easy, mind you, the anaconda is the only really badly manoeuvring ship I’ve owned, even parking was a massive PITA (and cost me a few rebuys) so I maxed out the engines and dirty drived them, still a pig to handle but seems to manage interdictions ok (and with the kind of rebuy that costs I always run some shields).

With the low ammo thing, I’ve heard a few say “not for pve” but I’m only hitting a couple of ships, getting out of trouble at the odd USS or an assassination mission, so low ammo shouldn’t be an issue, should it? I’m not sitting in CZs for hours on end.

eulach

So after buying it in February, I finally got around to downloading it today (PC version). Is there anything I should know or do before I dive in – I see there’s a tutorial so I’ll just start with that?

deadkenny
    Free Member

It was going cheap with the extra packs so likewise finally did the same a while back. Started the tutorial and found it a right pain in the arse. Not played it since.

Problem from what I can tell is Braben’s approach is all about the realism, same with the old Frontier games. Original Elite him & Bell (probably Bell’s choice) went with a compromise of arcade playability, and it was way more enjoyable. Shame the two had a falling out and we don’t get Bell’s input.

I may give it another go. I get the impression I need some kit to make it more playable than with a keyboard and mouse. Original Elite was great fun just with a keyboard.

Drac

I got out of the habit of paying it so never been on for months, it’s a great game though.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

My experience was summarised more eloquently by someone who had the same feeling about the game

“the ocean may be miles wide, but it’s only an inch deep”

I ran around doing bounty hunting and planetary scan missions and stuff, bought a few shiny ships, did some engineering stuff, and then ran out of a point to do anything. If you ever played the classic Privateer, imagine that but universe but with no storyline.

Can’t say if this has changed with Thargoids etc but I’m not going to give it another go. It’s a bit like someone tried to create a universe the size and complexity of eve online with a flight simulator core rather than a bit of everything, and done a poor job of executing it.

D0NK

I get the impression I need some kit to make it more playable than with a keyboard and mouse.

Biggest problem I had with K&M was the input limit, press more than a couple keys and it doesn’t register any more, keyboard limits differ but reckon you’ll max out any playing this, I bought a thrustmaster hotas X, much better. I played ED to death for a while, been on a break from it but going back to it soon, just waiting for some of the planned additions. Don’t get stuck grinding for cash/rep/engineers, there’s plenty of stuff to do but it seems you have to seek some of it out.

Viewing 29 posts - 201 through 229 (of 229 total)

The topic ‘Elite Dangerous’ is closed to new replies.