Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Electronic Measuring Devices to Assist With Building Surveys
  • andykirk
    Free Member

I have just started a new architectural project, the first stage of which involves a dimension survey of a reasonably complex 4 storey commercial office building. Until now I have always done any surveying work by sketching out the floor plan then using a laser measure to measure the dimensions, then it is drawn up on Autocad. However to do this on this particular project will take a long long time, and I am wondering if it might be worth investing in or hiring some more advanced equipment to make the job easier. Does anyone know any apps/ devices etc. that might make this task easier and don’t cost the earth?

Thanks.

dmorts

There are handheld 3D laser (LiDAR) scanners that will do this. You just walk around the building holding it then post process the data to build a 3d model. How accessible they are I dont know…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Stupid as it sounds, any original drawings been looked for or possibly available?

nealglover
    Free Member
    joshvegas
    Free Member

Laser skan’s are phenomenal in the data they pick up. But they need software and processing power to deal with the data and get anything useful out.

Handheld ones are in the 6k range upwards. You can of course hire one bit you would probs do better hire a guy with the knowledge to process as well.

Leica disto such as a d810* will add angles etc to your laser measurement. So you can get a point in space think mini total station. You would need to mount it on a tripod for that but they are a pretty effective tool compared to a basic laser tape. You can aim by camera as well. It can export to an app and be imported into DWGs etc.

*Model numbers may vary.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Reread the four story office building.

Employ someone with the equipment to carry out the necessary processing so you get something useful.

If you are in the Edinburgh area… Our surveyors might have to skill you need.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Electronic Measuring Devices to Assist With Building Surveys’ is closed to new replies.