Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Electricians – 2 gang intermediate switch
  • lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Replacing all the light switches at home. All simple so far appart from upstairs landing. There are two ceiling lights, light switch at one end of hallway operates one light and at the other end of hallway light switch operates the other light. Both of those switches are one gang and were simple to replace.
    However half way along the hallway there is another light switch which is a 2 gang switch which enables me to operate either of the two lights in the hallway. I believe this is an intermediate switch. The old switch is an old MK one and getting on for 50 years old. It has 3 neutral wires and 3 live wires and struggling to find a replacement. Doesn’t look like MK make one of these anymore but I believe you can make one up using MK parts. Any ideas?

snaps
    Free Member

An intermediate switch will have four terminals per gang, sounds like two gang two way – can you post a picture of the terminals?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m not an electrician…..but this is STW so

It has two switches one of which operates one light and the other the other?  Sounds like a 2 gang 2 way switch.  I’m not sure what you mean by an intermediate switch, would it be what I call a crossover switch which allows you to have a light controlled by three switches?

Wiksey
    Free Member

If it is a 2G intermediate switch that you’re looking for (4 terminals on each switch as snaps said) then I’ve not seen a modern version, but you can use an MK grid and make your own.

nickdavies

Just sounds like a 2 gang 2 way to me?

You’ll have a set of wires going to each other switch, then the 3rd one of those sets of wires will be going to one of the lights and back into the lighting circuit.

At the other switches one will just be a loop back to your 2 gang switch and the other will go to the other light.

Mines wired in a similar way, 1 gang upstairs for the landing, 2 gang downstairs for landing or hall. 3 sets of wires come out of the 2 gang 2 way downstairs.

That’s how I understand it anyway, not a sparky but not blown myself up yet. Not sure, get a sparky to look.

jamesoz

Ha, reminds me of my mother changing the 3 switches in th hall of the house I grew up in. It had rewireable fuses and she basically kept rewiring it until it worked and stopped melting the fuse.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

An intermediate switch is when you have 3 or more switches for one light or group of lights. Sounds like you have 2 2 way switches for each light. So a switch feed in to the first 2 way switch then 2 strapper wires to the next 2 way switch then a switch wire to the light. Different ways to cable it but the principle is the same so 3 wires per switch. You should only need a two gang 2 way light switch 3 terminals per switch. You can use a 4 terminal switch if you want and leave the 4th terminal empty.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Had a look on Screwfix you can get a 2 gang 2 way MK Logic plus light switch for £2.90

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Electricians – 2 gang intermediate switch’ is closed to new replies.