Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Electric Weed Killers
  • PrinceJohn

It’s almost new bike photo time & I don’t want any pesky weeds to ruin it.

I’ve been looking at gas & electric weed killers, does anyone have any experience?

I like the look of the gas ones, but am worried I’ll burn the house down.

joshvegas
    Free Member

If its dandelions just spray them anything else they come back.

Alternatively take photo at night in someone elses garden.

Twodogs

or photohshop them out

Cougar

You have electric weeds? Jesus.

savoyad

We need a photo of the weeds. But put the bike in the foreground to distract us.

Hohum
    Free Member

My Grandad used to have a petrol one.

You filled it up with petrol, pumped it up to get the pressure in it and lit the end of it.

It sounded and looked like a mini jet engine, ha ha!

dyna-ti
    stumpyjon

Trouble with anything other than proper systemic weed killers is they only kill the foliage, if you want to kill the roots you need to get a herbicide into them

Also I’m not sure about the environmental credentials of burning fossil fuels to make your patio look nicer, that said I doubt the carbon footprint of a liter of Glyphoste is great but at least it’ll kill the roots.

Hohum
    Free Member

Nice one @dyna-ti

It was the first one that you linked to.

Thanks for doing that, it brought back great memories of my Grandad.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Trouble with anything other than proper systemic weed killers is they only kill the foliage, if you want to kill the roots you need to get a herbicide into them

I’ve watched the council do the beds in the local parks. They just burn everything, till it, then burn the soil. Seems to work, less practical of course with a patio!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Use a 2-4-D based weed killer if you dont want to use Glyphosphate..
    It kills any broad leaved or dicot plants / weeds but doesnt kill grass

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve got a cheap electric one and I like it. Yes the tap-root weeds come back (smaller, until they give up) but it’s quick and easy which means I can wander round the garden and driveway and actually do it on a regular basis without either messing with chemicals or grovelling on my hands and knees pulling them out. Both of which are sufficiently unpleasant tasks that they never actually get done. I have a lot of gravel and paving in total (terraced garden, it’s necessary due to the steepness). Also works in the borders among other plants and less risky than chemicals there as a small amount of accidental scorch is no problem.

Actually did it this afternoon for the first time this year.

maccruiskeen

I’ve been looking at gas & electric weed killers, does anyone have any experience?

its just heat – you might already have something in the house that will do the same thing – a hot air gun or a wall paper steamer would have pretty much the same effect, or a kettle of boiling water.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Electric Weed Killers’ is closed to new replies.