Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Electric tariff with multiple prices per day according to grid demand.
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

Not economy 7 / 10.

I seem to remember someone on here mentioning that they had a tariff like this? More than economy 7, it had different dynamic prices throughout the day obviously required a smart meter.

Does anyone know this tariff?

rsl1
    Free Member

Bulb offer this. Something like 30p at peak times down to 5p over night. Needs a smart meter.

TheBrick
    Free Member

That is pretty much what we have at the moment as we are in economy 7 (two circuits, two metres thought) No it was more than that. I swear they were talking about several different highs and lows though the day rather than just the usual high low thing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We used to have an economy 4+2 I think it was called.

It gave an econony 7 tarrif for a couple of hours in the late afternoon to heat the water, top up the radiators, as well as the usuall 2-6am.

Worked well as long as you read the manual for the storage heaters as you had to adjust the output delay to make the most of it.

Stoner
    Free Member
    Greybeard
    Free Member

Octopus offer a flexible tariff that changes with the wholesale cost.

rone

EDF have a new EV based rate. Approx 17p and then 5p. Quite long hours over night and the whole weekend too.

I think you have to have an EV.

Just signed up.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Octopus also have Go tariff which is two tariff but i think you have to have an EV, not certain. EDF are also doing a tariff which is day and night rates, not sure if it’s EV owners only.
    NB I believe the edf night rate is 8p not 5p as stated by rone above , octopus Go night rate is 5p but much shorter period of time (4hrs)

regenesis
    Free Member

Italy has had this for years.
    No one uses their washing machines, etc during the day.
    You find that they cook during the afternoon as the early evening rate is astronomical.
    Meters are also load rated so will trip if you try and draw more than your contracted load!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Stoner and grey beard have it. Perfect thanks.

On bulb at the moment but they have not contacted me about a smart meter, can’t find a way to request. Pita at the moment as we have two circuits so it’s only the night storage that is charged at cheap rate the hot water is still on the expensive meter when on at night.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Id switch and get octopus to install the smart meter so you’re guaranteed the correct meter that communicates regularly. I hear there’s a bit of a back log of installs as all the EV buyers are signing up to octopus Go and need the smart meter install too. Altho I also hear they are giving meter install priority to people going on Agile or Go. I guess it will also depend on where you are living and how busy your local installer is.

MrSmith
    Free Member

On bulb at the moment but they have not contacted me about a smart meter, can’t find a way to request. Pita at the moment as we have two circuits so it’s only the night storage that is charged at cheap rate the hot water is still on the expensive meter when on at night.

can’t you just fit a cylinder with 2 immersions? thats what i have (i’m on economy 7 with Bulb) the direct fill cylinder is so well insulated that i don’t even have the daytime immersion on unless the GF is staying and wants a bath not shower. expensive but if you are planning on staying longterm then worth it. water heated overnight is still piping hot in the evening

other option is a timer, i have one for my towel rail so it will heat up in the morning on cheap leccy.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Timers not worth it as the off peak circuit is completely separate but you have given me an idea as tank is indirect with one immersion heater but once the rest of the heating is set up on the main coil the immersion could be wired up to the off peak circuit.

simon_g

Yep, Octopus Agile. If you have an older “Secure” brand smart meter you can switch to them and they can take it over from the old supplier. Anything else you’ll need it replaced.

You can see historic data for the tariff here: https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-agile/ to get a feel for what it will actually cost you.

They do a fixed time/cost “Go” tariff with a 5p rate between 12:30 and 4:30am, about 14p a unit outside of that. Outside of EV charging, if you don’t use much during the day but do use plenty in the evenings it may work out cheaper overall than Agile.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I am currently building my own control system so can work around their prices so that may work out better thanks.

No smart meter at the moment, two meters and a teleswitch.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Electric tariff with multiple prices per day according to grid demand.’ is closed to new replies.