Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Electric shavers: Who uses what and how good are they?
  • teacake
    Free Member

Looking into buying one of these bad boys as I need to be clean shaven for work and want minimal hassle. Please give me your experience.

Pook

clean shaven = razor blade.
    electric shaver = short stubble.

Marge
    Free Member

I received a Braun Cruzer3 for Xmas from my lady.
    trimmer & shaver all in one….
    For me it doesn’t work particularly well to be honest – seems to miss bits and leave some stubble.
    I don’t really find any improvement whatsoever.
    Much prefer a blade. (Mach 3)

firestarter
    Free Member

ive got a philips arcitec 1095 and its great, it takes the face a week or so to adjust to the shaver but it shaves me as close as my gillette mach wet razor did even under the neck where most leki shavers are let down. great bit of kit but not cheap , mine was a prezzie 😉

http://shop.philips.co.uk/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&Locale=en_GB&SiteID=rpeeub2c&productID=107584300

sorry forgot how to do linky

emac65
    Free Member

Have tried all types electric razors in the past & two hours after I’ve had a shave it looks like I need another one……..
    Wet shave is far betterer for real men ;o)

firestarter
    Free Member

oh how mad its an auto linky lol

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve been clean-shaven for work for the last 33 years. I wet shave or electric shave as the desire takes me. There’s absolutely no difference in the end result (so you can ignore all this macho “real men” nonsense). I’ve found the Braun foil type works well, and with a rechargeable, there’s no need to be looking for power points.

emac65
    Free Member

It depends on how thick your whiskers are,mine have a Desperate Dan sort of look to them so electric shavers just don’t….err, cut it….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

electric as a quicky before internal meetings
    wet shave if visiting client

chakaping
    Free Member

I find a wet shave less hassle, personally.

Del

flippin eck firestarter – 250 quid!!

firestarter
    Free Member

well it was a prezzie lol tis great tho 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’ve got a cheapo Phillips one, was £12 I think. Gives nearly as close a shave as a Gillette multi-blade razor. Can’t see as how all these posh spensive jobbies can be sooo much better.

Firestarter; £250 for a shaver????????????????????

If someone bought me that, I’d claim electric shavers gave me a rash or something, and could I exchange it for something else!!! Like an Ecks-Boks, iPod, posh ‘phone or something much more fun!

That’s insane.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Teacake – you’ll get lots of replies telling you the best thing is a wet shave (I asked the same question a while ago) – then it’ll descend into a bit of a macho men thing “my razor is hand crafted by a man in Sheffield who called Archie who only makes ten a year…”.

Basically, yes, wet shaving is probably better (my King of Shaves is a nice cheap option).

But, like you I wanted a quick “wake-up late, quick buzz and out” kinda shaver – I’d certainly recommend either the Philips (or Braun equivalent) with the lotion dispenser – I got a Philips HS8020.

Seems to cool the razor burn nicely, can use it wet or dry (shower and shave at same time!!!).

Think it’s a good shaver if you use it every work day just to tidy up a bit. If I’ve got a weeks worth of stubble it tends to leave a couple of stragglers that need a quick wet shaver to remove.

firestarter
    Free Member

lol tis mad but ive tried lots and this one actually works

teacake
    Free Member

breatheeasy – thanks for cutting through the chaff!

Cheers for the input everyone.

miketually
    Free Member

Real men have beards 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No, dirty, grubby, scruffy men have beards. Men who live in huts in woods, and recycle their own poo. 😡

miketually
    Free Member

No, dirty, grubby, scruffy men have beards. Men who live in huts in woods, and recycle their own poo.

I’d love to live in a wooden house in the woods with a composting toilet, so you may be right 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

teacher and another group starting with the letter t have beards (or so im told) 😉

onewheelgood

I have a Braun 8985 360 complete which does a pretty good job. Every now and again I either leave it in a hotel or the foil wears out and I have to wet shave for a while. The wet shave is messier, takes the same length of time and feels slightly smoother for about half an hour. Also tends to give me a rash. Wet shaving also works out more expensive – the price of those blades!
    I found the service from shavers.co.uk to be excellent.

MrSparkle

teacher and another group starting with the letter t have beards (or so im told)

Terrorists?

miketually
    Free Member

There are only three beards in College, counting mine, out of about 100 teaching staff. The other two are in the Science dept, one sported by a guy who looks exactly like the guy on the front of the Wheetoes box.

ourmaninthenorth

Electric for me.

I have very oily skin, and the permanent round of shaving products and a sharp razor on my face makes my skin more oily, and gives me the acne of a hormonal 16 year old. Not a good look when you’re in your 30s.

Oh, and I’m not that hairy on the chops, so I don’t have the Desperate Dan thing (I was at Uni with a guy for whom two wet shaves a day wasn’t unusual).

I use a clapped out old Philips. I really must get it serviced and/or replaced.

stumpy01

I bought myself a Philips electric shaver a few yrs ago for a job that required me to be smooth shaven everyday. It was crap. Reduced from £150 to £80 and it used to take ages to get to all the neck hairs if it got them at all. I would have to pass it over the same area several times and end up with a bright red and sore neck. 30 mins later, it felt like I already had my 5 O’clock shadow!

Tried it for a month or so thinking that my skin just needed to get used to it and then just went back to my Gillette Sensor….
    Currently using a Wilkinson Sword something or another with batteries – blades are cheaper than Gillette and it seems to work fine.

titaniumtit
    Free Member

I tried an electric shaver once.

It’s like being tazered 1000 times a second all over the sensitive parts of my face plus you end up with stubble all for what, when you could of had a refreshing wet shave and smell nice with that after balm stuff.

brakes
    Free Member

I seem to buck the trend when it comes to shaving – I have the stubble of a Desperate Dan who rubs Miracle Grow in his face. I regularly get two or three hairs growing out of one follice!

I’ve always used an electric – so for about 15 years. I’ve tried wet shaving but unless it’s a brand new blade it just snags and gives me a rash. I’m sure I could get used to it, but find electric much more convenient.
    I spend about £80 on an electric razor and always get Braun – anything more than that and you’re just paying for gimmicky technology. The last one I had lasted over 4 years, with about 6 replacement foils/blades at £15 each – so around 1,000 shaves (works out at 17p per shave). It still works, but was starting to look a bit tatty and the battery didn’t last long so was replaced. My current one is a year old and I’m about to change the foil and blade for the first time.

Potdog
    Free Member

onewheelgood – Member

I have a Braun 8985 360 complete which does a pretty good job. Every now and again I either leave it in a hotel or the foil wears out and I have to wet shave for a while. The wet shave is messier, takes the same length of time and feels slightly smoother for about half an hour. Also tends to give me a rash. Wet shaving also works out more expensive – the price of those blades!
    I found the service from shavers.co.uk to be excellent.

Snap. I have the same razor and have had new heads and cleaning fluid from shavers.co.uk.

Have also had the 3 head Philishave things which I just didn’t get on with, I much prefer the twin foil shavers like this one.

I generally wet shave on a Monday and then Thursday but tickle the chin back into shape with the leccy razor on the days in between.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I’ve got a remington 730i BMW design, or something like that… It’s ok for the cheeks and round the mouth, but for around the neck it’s savage. Takes 3 days for the rash to clear up afterwards..

Nasty piece of kit. Wetshaves again now.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Also have an Arcitec 1095, the carbon fibre inlaid one with the cleaning system, twas a gift for crimbo. After being a sceptic for years, and swearing by my gilette fusion, im actually very impressed. Did take my face a week or so to adjust.

firestarter
    Free Member

We must be loved swift mines the same lol the cleaning system is great isnt it 🙂
    tut tut mr sparkle i meant twunts. Lol im only jealous as im not allowed one

andygreener

I also use the top of the line philips artitec 1095 whatever. Check on amazon as I got mine iirc for about £150 last year. I like it.

mudshark
    Free Member

I have a Braun that cost £100 a few years ago which works as well as I need – very smooth if the foil and cutter aren’t too old. I am hairy and grow a thick beard for the winter so if it works for me should work for anyone.

samuri
    Free Member

Last time I tried an electric razor it slowed down when I put it on my face, it seemed to pull the hairs out rather than shave them and left about 1mm sticking out. That was a brand new expensive one I got for a present.

Wet shave, it’s not macho, it’s a pain in the bum but if it’s the only thing that will do the job….

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Electric shavers: Who uses what and how good are they?’ is closed to new replies.