Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • El cheapo dashcams – any good?
  • kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I’ve got a Nextbase dashcam in one car, I would like to buy two more for other vehicles.

Image quality needs to be good enough to ID vehicles/drivers in the event of an incident. The Nextbase footage is ok for this, though it’s not fantastic in low light conditions (to be expected for something with such a small lens, I suppose).

Are there any cheaper alternatives that are worth having? There are plenty options on ebay in the £30-£40 range, but that’s money wasted if they turn out to be useless.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Well tbh they won’t be worse than the nextbase.

I have an 5 year old 40 quid one in the wife’s care and a 2 year old 40 quid one in the camper.

The difference is that the camper one has GPS speed and position marked on the video , the older one does not. Neither copes well with oncoming car number plates in the dark -but then neither do my eyes thanks to the two bright orbs either side of the number plate

z1ppy

Not quite ‘that’ cheap but I’d happily recommend the Viofo A119 units, if you only drive one of those cars at a time, multiple mounts are cheap to swap the unit between them. I have the A119S* and if anything I think the low light performance is too goof, as review it, I can see more on the footage that I could with my own eyes.

*There’s a load more different models now

Smudger666

I’ve had one of these since last summer.  cheap and very cheerful!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019YX889I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

its been used to ID vehicles no problem – the 1080P is clear as day on a laptop.  32GB mem card bought separately allows for up to 4 hours ish of 10 minute loops before it overwrites.  used it to prove a driver and passenger swapped places after seeing a bump three cars ahead of us at a roundabout.

alanf
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 Autovox from ebay/amazon which are about £40.

They are all in use and all are great.  A couple came with cards but 1 didn’t.

Can’t see the need to spend any more on one, and having read the reviews on some of the nextbase stuff I’m glad I didn’t.

I have used their hardwire kits in all vehicles though, but saying that, one of those was defective out of the box. I got that replaced though so it wasn’t a biggie.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

You might need to make sure that whichever one you go for is approved by your insurance company if thats what you intend to use it for.  For example my current insurer doesn’t allow mobile phone cams.I got a £50 discount for my Nextbase as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘El cheapo dashcams – any good?’ is closed to new replies.