Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Eggbeaters – anywhere cheap at the mo? mine are knackered
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

as subject really. My present set are a hybrid of two other sets and need retiring before the proper cold stuff hits.

lucien

Found that pairs I’ve owned in the past, just fall apart, and as a result I never replaced….

PaulD
    Free Member

Hi there.

I offer you a brand new pair of black+white Candy C with reflectors but not cleats for £17 PPG for UK posted.

Mail me if interested.

paul.r.davisAThotmail.co.uk

RealMan
    Free Member

It’s like an eggbeater, only it works.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s like an eggbeater, only it works far heavier.

About right 😉

By all accounts the new ‘Beaters work (and last) perfectly, whilst the latest XTRs are struggling a bit with muddy conditions.

I’ve run a set of CB for nearly 3 years, I’ve done 2 rebuilds and filled with grease a couple of times. Not a particular hardship!

Do agree that Shimano are a better bet for general reliability though!

pixelmix
    Free Member

No quibbles with my eggies so fair. Developed a bit of play, so I sent them to 2pure and they replaced them with a brand new pair, no questions asked.

Used CB pedals for years, and the ones that have failed (older style Candys) have only ever been because the bearing has worn out and I haven’t replaced it in time. I think the redesign improves on that issue.

I haven’t used Shimano pedals, but having seen a friend unable to get his foot clipped in because of snow last weekend (much swearing ensued every time we stopped), I’m happy to stick with the mud and snow friendly Eggbeaters.

Anyway, to answer the OP’s question, Merlin have some Eggbeater 3s on at a good price (£55). They are OEM packaging and black rather than red or blue, but definitely Eggbeater 3s.

Del

Time FTW
    or if you’re feeling flash
    all the advantages of eggbeaters with none of the drawbacks.

i used to run eggys on 5 bikes. cost me a lot to change over, but haven’t looked back. maybe they’re better now, but i have no desire to find out.

njee20
    Free Member

Your ‘fancy’ Time pedals:

Weight: 384 g per pair

Entry level Egg Beater 1s:

WEIGHT: 256g/pair

All of the advantages how exactly…?

To answer the OP, these have caught my eye!

sambob
    Free Member

My new style Eggbeater 1’s lasted 3 months, Shimano m424 have lasted 9 so far and no wear or play. Cheaper too.

njee20
    Free Member

To be fair – the Egg Beater 1s are basically the old style still, but my point has less meaning if I chose the slightly heavier (but far better sealed) 3s 🙂

br
    Free Member

I’ve run a pair of Candy 1’s for 6 months now after many years on SPD’s. I replaced the axles with ebay Ti ones and dropped the weight to just over 200g (for £80 all in)

No problems at all so far.

sambob
    Free Member

Fair enough, that’s what i’d heard. Not going to experiment when Shimano M520 are £20 and Eggbeater 3’s are £60 though, as there’s no mud up here, just grit. Snow stops Shimano though.

Del

All of the advantages how exactly…?

mud/snow shedding, float, spring tension that doesn’t need to be adjusted.
    anyhoo. i used egg beaters for 5 or 6 years, and came to my own conclusions, but there’s no reason why you should draw the same ones. 😀

therealhoops
    Free Member

Every few rides I squirt in a bit more grease. I’ve found that doing this has made my current set last about 3years with absolutely no problems whatsoever. They’re only knackered now beacuse of a night time related height mis-judge rock interface scenario. I could probably keep using them but it’s chrimbo and I fancy treating myself.

PaulD – ygm

carlphillips
    Free Member

clicky here

mine are for sale if you fancy, with cleats (maybe 2 sets if i can find them)

willing to haggle on price my mail is in my profile.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Eggbeaters – anywhere cheap at the mo? mine are knackered’ is closed to new replies.