• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Bream.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Educate me: Family Friendly Summer Alps
  • tor5
    Free Member

Considering a family holiday in the Alps this year but have close to zero knowledge of what’s available, prices etc.

Looking for a mix of family friendly activities but not too hardcore, opportunities for the kids to make friends and a bit of luxury (spas, nice restaurants etc) for the grown-ups.

Riding isn’t particularly important (unless a planed boys trip falls through). The kids aren’t into it as such, just messing about in the garden/park and have shown no interest in “proper” MTB. But be good to know what’s available, just in case.

Thinking 2 weeks in August and would be happy flying or driving.

gilesmartin81

Tignes is a good option, not too expensive, free lift passes and activities other than biking.
    https://www.tignes.net/

nickjb
    Free Member

The alps are a great summer destination. I don’t think you’d go too far wrong anywhere but most of the bigger ski resorts will have summer stuff and plenty to do. We usually go to morzine. Great biking for all abilities and its very accessible so you can easily nip out for an hour or two or a half day if you do get time. There are loads of kids out on the trails too. Away from biking there’s a decent pool and spa and an awesome family pool/mini water park in the next town. Ice skating, skate park, horse riding, walking, tennis, rafting, paragliding and more. Quite a few good places to eat. Largely meat and cheese based but lots of choice. Often other big events on too which can make for quite a spectacle eg rallye du mont blanc or tour de l’avenir. Price wise chalets are pretty cheap if you can book the whole thing. Its a relatively easy drive once over the channel, too. Thoroughly recommended

snotrag

Tignes, absolutely.

Its cheap because its not classically ‘pretty’. However regardless of the architecture, its set in stunning, incredible surroundings, and they are really well setup for Summer fmaily holidays – there are loads of sports, events, etc that go on. You can even Ski right through Summer on the Glacier, there is a bike park, tonnes of watersports, Gold courses, etc etc.
    Lift passes are free or cheap during the summer.

I have been a number of times for Skiing and once my new Son is a few years older we are definitely going back in the Summer.

mrchrispy

The good wife is having none my summer Alps holiday chat, I couldn’t think of a better holiday but she is insistent that the weather will be terrible.

so…..whats the weather generally like ?
    (July/August…kids summer holiday times)

help me convince her

pdw
    Free Member

Generally hot and sunny with regular thunderstorms.

globalti
    Free Member

If you want pretty, consider Megeve. It’s a first-generation ski resort so it’s a lovely old Alpine village turned ski resort. The scenery is fantastic, you’re close to Chamonix and Annecy, only 90 minutes from Geneva, it has a stonking swimming pool and sports centre with a summer luge next door, plenty of easy lift-assisted cycling, and the entire valley and village is owned and carefully managed by the Rothschilds. In the summer there are huge numbers of apartments you can hire short term; those on the ski slopes above the village are in superb, peaceful locations. It’s a very moneyed village but there are still places where you can shop and eat for a reasonable price if you ask the locals.

If you want an affordable hotel look at Chalet D’Antoine, which is run by Simon Butler skiing. Their website might help convince Mrschrispy: https://www.sbski.com/summer-holidays/

wl
    Free Member

Verbier and the region is stunning and has loads to do – active and lazy – and you could stay with http://www.bikeverbier.com who now do accommodation/food only packages and are deservedly famous for their hospitality.

BillOddie

If you want to go to Tignes but like your accomodation in a pretty little village.

Consider staying in Tignes Les Brevieres. It’s the lowest of the Tignes villages.

When we were there they were running a uplift Van from Brev to Le Lac (the main village) for bikers. However, they have a new telecabine from Brev to Le Lac now so they might run that instead.

If you were going to head up to Le Lac without bikes (or even with), you could drive up and park under ground. Just take the bikes off the roof before parking. 😉

Another advantage of staying in Les Brev is that yyou can finish your ruiding day with a run down Wonderboisses, which is a lovely bit of singletrack.

nickjb
    Free Member

The good wife is having none my summer Alps holiday chat, I couldn’t think of a better holiday but she is insistent that the weather will be terrible.

It really could be anything. We’ve had a week of hot sun and close to a week of rain before. Its generally changeable so you rarely get the same weather all week but it certainly isn’t guaranteed sunshine, albeit generally better than the UK. Not that big a deal if you are doing active stuff unless it really rains.

globalti
    Free Member

Beats lying on a bloody beach surrounded by poxy tourists!

BillOddie

2 weeks in Tignes, all Sunny apart from one massive Thunderstorm and one day that was a bit drizzly.

Also spent the summer in the Alps touring around and I think by pure dumb luck we basically had sun all summer bar a couple of spectacular thunderstorms.

I think the message is take me with you.

lunge

You can pick up some bargains on accommodation at the Chalets Direct Solutions room, write what you’re looking for and where, people respond and you can pick. You can get a lot of chalet for your money out of the ski season.

My experience on the weather echos the above, generally good and sunny, but prone to the odd day of rain and a good thunderstorm.

And re. location, there’s something lovely about proper mountain villages in the summer, but they’re often pretty dead bar a restaurant, a bakery and a lot of walking. I did a week at a chalet in Sixt-fer-a-Cheval, it was lovely but very quiet indeed. For a bit more life, Obergurgl and Solden are worth a look, not too far from Innsbruk airport and a fair chunk to do, though I’m not sure I’d want to spend 2 weeks at either. Innsbruck itself is worth a visit though, it’s a lovely city.

mrmo
    Free Member

i go out for the mtbing and walkining to Verbier each summer, the last couple of years they have started giving free lift passes for every night you stay in the resort.

Where ever you go, if you intend to do any riding, depending on the rest of the group, see if anywhere does e-bike hire, the alps do take a while to ride up!

Only thing to consider, no one ever said Switzerland was cheap!

mrchrispy

Spent a weekend in Verbier at the lodge. it was absolutely awesome.
    We didnt eat out as everything was provided but local prices were mental with a capital M.

DT78
    Free Member

Trying to convince my missus too. Anyone been with young kids? 2 and 4?

And how are the French with food allergies, as our son has an obscure one, peas which appears in all sorts of stuff. I’d think they have less processed food so less of a risk than the uk

tor5
    Free Member

Top suggestions everyone, will take a look, keep them coming!

Given I’ve been fortunate enough to enjoy two spectacular bike verbier trips in the past, I fear that the good lady would suspect the worst if I float that idea…

wallop

FWIW I’ve only ever experienced thunderstorms in the evening.

spw3

Tignes every time. Although tbf our weather was decidedly mixed – snow and very cold in August, then lovely. Great trails, rideable when wet (and snowy!), boat loads to do. Friendly. I would not hesitate to go again and I don’t even have kids.

Verbier: good choice for you, kids not so much.

Les Gets is a good winter destination for families but a poor choice in the summer. And the weather in Les Gets can be truly terrible in early-to-mid summer. Any rain renders the trails unrideably slippy.

In general late summer in the Alps tends to be better, more stable weather.

unclesomebody
    Free Member

Whilst not in the alps, I would suggest looking into Molveno in the dolomites. It’s stunning, great for kids, has mountains, lake, and lift service for biking/hiking.

breninbeener

For the past 3 yrs, our summer family holiday had been to camp in Les Gets. Me and one of my daughters have taken our DH bikes, avoided any pedalling and have ridden the DH tracks. My GF has ridden her road bike up steep hills and all has been well.
    This year my other non cycling daughter wants to come and bring her boyfriend. They are both not DH riders, but can ride Marin/Llandegla red, but are happier on a blue at CYB or Llandegla. We have a variety of bikes to take, but this year we are looking for something a bit more pedally but also lift assisted. Alsi access to some, walking running swimming within easy reach. I dont want to totally abandon my not so biking daughter, so somewhere with a selection of trails would be great. We dont have to take DH bikes as we have enduro type bikes and also xc bikes. Ths stuff we ride in Morzine could probably be done on our enduro bikes, so is Tignes the place?

We have a van we fill with bikes and we camp. We dont have tons of money, and we make it a fortnight of camping with the drive at either side of that.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Beener

iamtheresurrection

Are ticks a big issue, away from the paths and trails?

Bream
    Free Member

Any one been to Austria with the family in summer? Thinking to drive down from Sweden so looking for northern Alp options?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Educate me: Family Friendly Summer Alps’ is closed to new replies.