Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Edinburgh Fringe – what you going to?
  • oldtennisshoes

Got a day at the Fringe, first time I’ve been in 15 years. Taking the kids to see Predictably Irrational, a Joan Baez Tribute and then Simply Bowie. The music of Amy Winehouse next Monday. Anyone else got anything booked?

Grumpy Edinburgers who are already sick of the tourists need not comment 😉

NZCol

I went to a rather good concerto last night at the Usher Hall, wasn;t so keen on the new work but the tchaikovsky symphony 4 was superb.

kcal

ha – my daughter was at that too @NZCol – working at the Hub for a month, think she still had to pay -a bit – for the ticket..

munrobiker
    Free Member

Any cyclists should go and see this. It was nominated for the Comedy Award in 2015.

https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/kieran-hodgson-lance

We’re off to Drunk Women Solving Crime tonight and saw Phil Wang on Saturday, which was excellent. Also saw the National Trust Fan Club which would have been OK as a free show to kill some time but it wasn’t £12 worth of entertainment. I’d also really like to see George Fouracres but he’s on mid afternoon when I’m at work. Oh, and Edinburgh’s Only Bilgepump Seminar.

andy4d
    zinaru
    Free Member

Went to see Tony Law on Friday, his show was a shambolic mess = totally amazing!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Joan Baez Tribute

I’ve shared a lift with the ACTUAL Joan Baez.

Cool story right?

I’m not going to say anymore as I think Edinburgh is shite for the month on August

slowoldman

I believe the Tory cabinet have booked a slot on the comedy circuit.

gordimhor

Christ I hope that ^^^^is  a free show. Perhaps the cast can pay the audience to watch. Boris’s rehearsal didn’t go down well last week.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We saw Aquapella last night, not my choice but they were very good.

docrobster
    Free Member

Going on Friday for 2 nights.
    We’ve booked tickets to Paul Merton and one other thing I can’t remember. Hoping to find some other stuff that entices us when we arrive.
    Last and only other visit for me was 1992

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think the best way to do it is pick a few shows. Then to fill the rest of the day go to the half price hut/go with the most amusing flyer handerer.

The standup show by a rather large sex worker was quite funny until she took offence to a question about taxes then went full defensive and the whole crowd took a dislike to her. Which was even funnier and more awkward than her show.

sparksmcguff

For the fringe no recommendations other than set a budget (including free shows), then squeeze is as many shows as you can in 24 hours using a mix of pre-planning by genre, leaflets and following acts across venues to whatever they do next (the multi-performer sessions are mostly people with a one man show so I use them as a taster to see who’s good).

oldtennisshoes

Clothesline was typically fringe – student theatre/improv that needed some work.
    Joan Baez was amazeballs
    Predictably Irrational was good for a Behavioural Economics nut like me
    Simply Bowie was OK, the boy loved it, but it almost felt a bit pub singer / self indulgent – and defo not a tribute act.

curto80
    Free Member

Idlewild at Fringe by the sea on Friday night.

Hoping the weather forecast improves as not entirely sure of the merits of a gig in a tent in a Scottish harbour town during a thunderstorm.

kennyp
    Free Member

We’ve been to see Shakespeare for Breakfast every year for around a decade. It has always been superb. I love the Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Théâtre too though they might not be to everyone’s taste.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Shameless plug for a school friend – Marcel Lucont.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Edinburgh Fringe – what you going to?’ is closed to new replies.