Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Eddie Butler RIP
  • ferrals
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/62919134.amp

Pretty shocked by this. Can hear his commentary, especially the voice-overs, in my head right now.

MoreCashThanDash

The voice of rugby to me, very sad news

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Just seen it on the news, shocked. As a Wales fan his slightly one sided commentary was alway a big part of the 6N for me. Won’t be the same without him. I also liked the s partnership Brian Moore

anagallis_arvensis

That’s sad news indeed.

copa
    Free Member

Eddie Butler always seemed like the official voice of Welsh rugby.
    And Wales is a complex place where rugby represents certain values.
    Rugby tends to be linked to a British form of Welshness – to monarchy and military.

Eddie seemed like such a solid slab of the establishment, somebody who would support those views.
    So really surprising that in recent years, he started to speak about his support for Welsh independence.
    He was the last person I would have expected – which probably says a lot about my prejudices.
    But it made it all the more powerful and emotional when he did.

Diolch Eddie.

fazzini

RIP Eddie 😢

Twodogs

Sad news…great commentator and writer. Whether you agreed with his views on Welsh independence or not, he expressed them incredibly eloquently.

reluctantjumper

That’s a bit of a shock, he wasn’t very old.

Used to serve him semi-regularly when I worked in Barclays in Monmouth nearly 20 years ago, was always pleasant and in a good mood. Definitely the ‘voice’ of Rugby, especially during the 6 Nations and when Wales were playing. Always had a good way of explaining what was happening that satisfied the regular and casual viewer, always a good sign of a good commentator. Yes he was slightly biased towards a Red (Welsh) or Blue (Cardiff) shirt but not overtly so. Will be missed.

ctk
    Free Member

desperatebicycle

Aw, that’s sad. After Bill McLaren, he definitely became the voice of rguby. Too young indeed.

gordimhor

I always enjoyed his commentary even when Wales were beating Scotland.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.