Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Eco-lube project – 76% Funded! Need your help to smash PTFE off the planet!
  • nxgater

Green Oil have kickstarter fund going to produce a spray lube with no PTFE, which is therefore carcinogen free. Sounds like a good thing to me and they still need contributors. Closes Monday 3/4 am. Here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/makeitslip/green-oil-ecospray-lubricant-for-bicycles

ads678

What, like this?

matt_outandabout

which is therefore carcinogen free.

errr, I think you may find that even lovely natural things can be nasty for people and environment, including being carcinogenic.

I used to sell Citric Oil (from oranges) as a paint thinner and cleaner.
    Turns out it is pretty nasty acid that is really, really bad for eyes, digestive system and respiratory system.

I thought we should also avoid using aerosols?

Sorry, too much greenwash around still for my liking….

jonba
    Free Member

Also since when was PTFE a carcinogen?

For info I’ve just checked our MSDS from DuPont and it makes no mention of carcinogenic effect save for the Californian regulations concern over the monomer tetrafluoroethylene. The Californians think more things cause cancer than the Daily mail and they are worried about the monomer not the polymer.

I would suggest that a biodegradable lubricant with no associated hazard labels derived from sustainable renewable sources is a good thing. Something that most companies would love to be able to do with all their products.

fooman

Like Pure Bike Oil you can buy at Halfords?

I only mention that one because it has an interesting history, it’s made by the inventor of TF2 after he sold out to Weldtite and realised how much of it ends up in the environment. Or something like that. He was on a Radio 4 business programme a while back.

poah
    Free Member

jonba – Member

Also since when was PTFE a carcinogen?

it isn’t but one of the chemicals that is used in its production is. However, PFOA levels from using pans coated with PTFE is insignificant.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

errr, I think you may find that even lovely natural things can be nasty for people and environment, including being carcinogenic

Don’t ever go on a walk across a bracken-filled moor.

nxgater

well I knew it was a risk posting about this but glad I made the effort. I should have made it clearer that the production of PTFE is what is best avoided – in mine and others opinions anyway – as it does involve hazardous chemicals. the project is now funded so it’s definitely something I will be using in future.

kamenev
    Free Member

That is great news that its reached its funding target.

My understanding of this proposed product is that it is designed to be the equivalent of a product like GT85 rather than simply a spray version of their existing lubes.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Will it smell like bike sex juice and cause dermatitis like GT85?

Or just stink of hemp?

nxgater

Just stink of hemp I believe.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Eco-lube project – 76% Funded! Need your help to smash PTFE off the planet!’ is closed to new replies.