Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ebike on a roof carrier?
  • davosaurusrex

Thule 598 specifically – anyone tried it? Beyond the extra effort of getting it up there (would take the battery off) is there an issue with where the clamp sits in relation to the non-integrated battery port on the downtube common to a lot of designs? Would be for a Canyon Spectral although I know no-one has one of those yet, similar to a lot of designs though.

scotroutes

We carry bikes (including ebikes) as part of our job. We never put them on a roof rack. Quite apart from the effort of getting them there, I’m not convinced that the carrier arm, the carrier itself, or the roof bars are constructed to handle the additional weight. Once in motion there is quite a lot of rocking, regardless of how well you’ve fitted it all. That rocking causes the roof bars to flex.

vincienup
    Free Member

As above, there’s a specific limit to how much a specific rail solution on a specific vehicle can safely support (whole system weight will count into this)

It’s usually in the region of 50-70kg so a couple of normal MTB’s is fine but a family of 4 may well be pushing it already.  Heavier bikes will obviously cut the number that can be carried.

TBH, I’d ask Thule what they think about carrying eBikes rather than a web forum.  People often give dangerous advice for modifying systems for fat bikes, I imagine eBikes will be similar in this.

timbog160

I wouldn’t want to try getting mine onto the roof rack by myself – recipe for either a back injury, or a dented roof!  And I don’t think I would trust the rack/ roof bars for all the reasons stated above.  Towbar rack seems ok though, but I wouldn’t put 3 of them on!

oldtennisshoes

I quickly discounted the idea of putting my Turbo Levo on the roof. Which is a pain because I much prefer roof carriers to tow ball mounted ones,

I did see a woman at Laggan put a haibike on the roof though – battery removed.

winston
    Free Member

598 load capacity is 20kg. Spectral is 23kg.

So no.

ajweekes
    Free Member

Take the battery off, that must be about 3kg

davosaurusrex

Yeah it’ll be borderline with the battery off. Would be 2 bikes on the roof,  I have a decent Thule rack for the back but still struggle with ground clearance and stopping bikes swinging into each other. Company car so I’m not keen not spending out on a towbar and electrics which limits my options

winston
    Free Member

If I was going to roofmount I would probably use the new Thule Upride which doesn’t clamp around the frame but uses the front wheel and is a stronger design (though still rated at 20kg). I would also run a roofrack strap between the the two bikes to stop them flexing outwards.

I would also keep my speed down, especially round bends…..

geex
    Free Member

davasaurusrex

Spectral:ON? Do you have yours already?

craigbroadbent
    Free Member

Much easier to load at the rear for a heavy bike.

Remember to remove the battery and cover the terminals.

This one is rated for 25kg each bike.

No Frame Touch

davosaurusrex

geex – yes and no. Due early May although the XL now shows June availability. Whether this means mine is still May and the next batch is June who knows? I will email them and ask

Craigbroadbent – agreed but as above not cost effective for me

geex
    Free Member

Mine was showing as in stock when ordered over a week ago.
    Still not dispatched despite being promised March12-16th despatch.

Spoke to Canyon last week, yesterday and today. Lots of excuses about being let down by a component supplier but wouldn’t tell me which component or supplier. and “we are cyclists too so know how you must feel” What’s that all about?
    Have been assured it will be sent start of next week. but they sold me exactly the same line last week too.

I thought the days of being fobbed off with “it’ll be here in two weeks” were long behind us.

As for your carrier dilemma. I don’t have your problem as I have large car that can swallow bikes whole and a towbar rack that can take 2 DH bikes. But there’s a very easy solution: <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Just remove the wheels of both bikes. pop them in the boot/back seat (in a bag if it needs to stay clean) and strap the two bike frames on your rear mounted rack. E bike frame closest to the car. without wheels you’ll have no problems with clearance and the bikes will swing around way less too. It’s dead easy to make a chainkeeper for a rear thru-axle frame from plastic pipe fittings. Did this on many a ropey hatchback with strapped on rear carrier back in the 90s. DH on a shoestring days. Our DH bikes were right around the same weight as the Spectral:ON back  then.</span>

scotroutes

the XL now shows June availability.

And it’s an XL? No way would I consider putting that on a roof carrier.

TiRed

Carried our steel tandem on a roof rack for years. I’d remove the battery from an E-bike, but not be otherwise worried. My Dutch roadster weighs as much, and I didn’t think twice about that either on my Thule 598.

Engineering safety margins and the moose test are wonderful things.

andyl
    Free Member

hmm, this is something i hadnt thought about. Was about to order some new 598’s and am hovering over buying a Canyon Spectral On but yes the battery and weight are not going to make the two compatible. I do normally chuck the bike in the estate though and have a tow bar rack for the freelander.

Not great news about the availability of the Spectral though.

geex
    Free Member

Order it now.
    they won’t take the money from your account until it is dispatched.

geex
    Free Member

I wouldn’t hold your breath on it being dispatched anytime soon though.
    My order tracking has now moved to from showing as leaving Canyon 16th-19th March to April 2-4th.

🙁

batman11
    Free Member

These have gotta be worth a look I’ve got two coming cross fingers next week.

email them there pretty quick at coming back with an answer

£95 each to

https://www.yakima.com/forkchop

andyl
    Free Member

I have always wanted some simple bike carriers like that but £95 each!

And no 20mm axle option.

batman11
    Free Member

says 20mm available here and the video shows there pretty stable set up.

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-yakima-fork-chop-bike-rack-y02117.aspx

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ebike on a roof carrier?’ is closed to new replies.