Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • ebaytrackworld – can I end an auction early and sell to buyer who messages me?
  • DrJ

Probably a naive question, so please be gentle with me …

I just listed an item on ebay, and immediately got a message from someone asking if he can just buy it for what seems a fair price. I am wondering:
    a) if I can do that, and how?
    b) is it kosher, or some scam that I am too dumb to spot

Thanks!!

tomhoward

If it’s as fair as you think, let him bid that price?

jambourgie
    Free Member

I generally do, why not? We did it like that for ages before ebay. Just get a bank transfer or cash on collection.

Jamie
    Free Member

I usually do when selling anything of value…like bikes etc. Usually means the 13%-ish that would go to eBay/Paypal gets split between me and the buyer.

Word of note, if this is a buyer collecting DO NOT TAKE PAYPAL AS PAYMENT.

Murray

It’s against the T&Cs of Ebay but it happens a lot. Personally, I let the auction run.

hot_fiat

You can, so long as the auction has more than 12hrs to run. Fleabay has a page telling you under what circumstances you can do this.

EDIT: t&cs

DrJ

He says he’s going away on Tuesday and wants it for his trip, which is why he doesnt want to bid.

Can he pay me by Paypal if he has my e-mail address ??
    EDIT – Jamie – why not? (he’s not collecting, BTW)

kayak23

It’s naughty, but happens. Just say there was an error in your listing when you cancel it. Make sure you get the cash before you cancel the auction, but then don’t forget to cancel it the minute you get the dough.

EDIT – Jamie – why not? (he’s not collecting, BTW)

It has been known for people to pay via Paypal, collect the item, and then be able to withdraw the payment…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Jamie – why not?

Buyer can claim you never delivered (or something similar).
    Payment gets reversed.
    Buyer now has your bike/stove/widget AND his money.

Northwind

Yep, breach of rules but done all the time. Big part of the reason ebay fees are so high now… But on the other hand, avoids those really high ebay fees 😉

Course there’s no guarantee he’ll not just walk away after you cancel.

senick
    Free Member

Ive done it before – ebay has click on options to end- item damaged/ not as described etc
    Some sellers state on the auction – for sale elsewhere reserve right to end early etc
    You cant end an auction within last 12 or 24 hours ?

DrJ

Buyer can claim you never delivered (or something similar).
    Payment gets reversed.
    Buyer now has your bike/stove/widget AND his money.

Can’t he do that anyway, even if he buys on ebay? I am a bit ignorant here …

Jamie
    Free Member

Can’t he do that anyway, even if he buys on ebay? I am a bit ignorant here …

Yes he can. But you can counter his claim with the proof of postage you got, as you’re on the money and made sure you sent the items with the appropriate level of insurance/tracking.

Paypal is predominantly a long distance form of payment.

marky29er
    Free Member

Yes, do it all the time when buying or selling high value items that are for collection only. I/Buyer turns up with cash or does an instant payment bank transfer on collection.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Watch out, eBay have changed the rules and you can only cancel one auction per year without paying the final value fee!

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t you change the auction to a buy-it-now for the price he’s offering?

or, what I did, when I wasn’t sure about the buyer – set up a new B-i-N listing and send him the auction number. That way you’re both covered by Ebay.

skellnonch
    Free Member

I usually just let it run, mainly because I cant be arsed with the hassle, I have yet to lose out

Rockplough
    Free Member

These ‘Do you have a BIN price?/How much are you looking for?’ messages wind me right up.

It’s an auction. Buyer sets the price, not the seller.

barkm
    Free Member

surprised how common this is, been shifting old junk on ebay, about 4/5 items a week for a month now, and almost all have had offers or requests for a BIN price.
    I’ve never agreed to it, simply because generally I have no idea what something is worth and can’t be done with the hassle. I’m also in no rush.

Jamie
    Free Member

Watch out, eBay have changed the rules and you can only cancel one auction per year without paying the final value fee!

I don’t think this applies to BIN listings.

When I am selling a bike say, I put it up for 28days at a high price, and then just have contact details in ad to sort out a deal.

Essentially, just using eBay as a shop window.

footflaps

When I am selling a bike say, I put it up for 28days at a high price, and then just have contact details in ad to sort out a deal.

Living up to your ‘Freeloader’ nick name then!

Jamie
    Free Member

Living up to your ‘Freeloader’ nick name then!

I have the rights on the term ‘Freeloader’. So that’s 20p please.

squirrelking
    Free Member

So you pay the BIN price for the high fees regardless of if it sells? That makes sense…

Not sure what listings it applies to though, been that long and sold more on Amazon lately.

#sickoffucktardtimewasters

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘ebaytrackworld – can I end an auction early and sell to buyer who messages me?’ is closed to new replies.