Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • eBay questions from buyers
  • mrchrist

Selling a bike… Just been asked for my post code despite stating the small town I live in:)

Any other examples of folk on the rob?

bruneep

just give a post code nearby or ask why?

Muke
    Free Member

In my experience stated location is not always accurate on Ebay maybe buyer just checking it’s correct ?

mrchrist

Yeah have gave the out code will get him within 10 mins of my house.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

You’re selling a bike. Buyers will want to look at it. They need to know where you are…

granny_ring

You’re selling a bike. Buyers will want to look at it. They need to know where you are…

So you would tell them where you live then?

Robz
    Free Member

I have sold many a bike on eBay and nobody has ever asked to come and see one in the flesh prior to purchase.

No chance I would give out my postcode.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

“So you would tell them where you live then?”
    Yes. I’m no Paranoido.

nickjb
    Free Member

I usually give the postcode so they can know the rough location. Then arrange a meeting. Only give the full address on the day of the meeting. I never have anything that valuable to sell though, can’t imagine anyone stealing to order. You do need to test the water with a few messages and questions first. If anything sounds iffy walk away

kerley
    Free Member

In my experience stated location is not always accurate on Ebay maybe buyer just checking it’s correct ?

I had this when selling a bike a month ago. Even though my correct code is listed the person asking was using eBay mobile app (ge sent screen shot) and it was suggesting I lived in Wales rather than south of England.
    My postcode covers about 20 houses so I am never worried about giving out postcode.

5plusn8
    Free Member

yeah same, I give postcode and then ask them to call me from the street when they arrive.

kayak23

Some folks don’t update location details when they move. Postcode is their parents and they’re with the bike at uni for example.

I always give the postcode of the nearest pub.

frogstomp

As above, the eBay location isn’t always helpful. They list my location, generated from my postcode, as Whitchurch.. of which there are 18 in the UK.

ads678

I get people asking where abouts in Leeds I am, if I’m wanting collection. I just give the first part of the post code and general area. Then if they win the auction they can have the address.

I always make sure stuff is out of the house/garage ready to be collected, and garage is closed when they come round.

monkeyboyjc

I give out the postcode (it does cover a large area In my case), but if selling collection only I meet outside my buisness address (same post code) rather than at my house.

mrchrist

Yes I am paranoid that random person has contacted me via eBay to ask where a high value item I am selling is stored.

Maybe legit and not planing on nicking it but I don’t need to risk it so just give the first part of the postcode.

Based on the replies seems like a common approach.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Isn’t your postcode in your profile? At least the first half of it. Been a while since I shopped on eBay…got bored and p-d off with that platform a while ago. They can’t zero in on your house from just the postcode unless maybe you live in a farm house in the middle of nowhere. But on a housing estate there are probably 20 or more houses with the same post code as you.

I’d tend to stick with the town or village name if they just want to know how far away you are, but eBay tells you that anyway. If the buyer was keen on viewing the bike or item before bidding then I would provide the postcode – never happened to me as people are usually too far away and just by the bike on trust it is as described. Its a sensible risk and if you suddenly get a break in then at least you have the persons eBay name so they can be ‘eliminated from the enquiries’. You could always ask for their number or name before.

bikegran3

E.bay say it is for security, fair enough, but I also wonder if it is to stop people doing a deal when they view, seller removing item from site saying no longer for sale so avoids fees. I don’t sell much but have had a request to view a couple of times, the first time I replied to message with my address & telephone number & the message was automatically intercepted by e.Bay & I got a warning that if I tried to send it again my account would be suspended. Second time just said wasn’t allowed to. I am very aware of security issues & do try to put in a good, genuine description together with my area with first part postcode & closest Motorway junction or landmark. I have recently sold a nearly new electric bike on the ‘Pay a £1 fees’ & felt happier that with the new system I did not have to worry about making a decision whether to pay PayPal fees or ask for cash on collection & buyer had a code from e.bay for me to scan to show collected. I know there is always an element of risk selling something but this system worked for me, they buyers details are logged & also stops people coming with cash & wanting a reduction.

dyna-ti

Yes I am paranoid that random person has contacted me via eBay to ask where a high value item I am selling is stored.

Maybe legit and not planing on nicking it but I don’t need to risk it so just give the first part of the postcode.

Based on the replies seems like a common approach.

Sounds fair enough, you have a right top protect yourself and feel safe.

But they’re not exactly random, theyre potential buyers and this is exactly what you were advertising for. Plus they have an ebay ID, so you can maybe look in their completed listings if any to see whereabouts they themselves are from. You might even find they’re living around the corner.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘eBay questions from buyers’ is closed to new replies.