Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • eBay question.
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Let’s say you sell a bike and the winning bidder has no feedback and joined eBay a week ago, what would you do.?

Hypothetically of course.

bencooper
    Free Member

See if they pay up?

scotroutes

Assume they joined eBay to buy a bike?

kerley
    Free Member

Wait 3 days to see if they pay and then open a non payment case. Then wait another 5 days and re-list the bike. Just as I would with any other buyer.

redstripe
    Free Member

As above what kerley said. One thing to watch these days is that ebay are much tougher about a seller giving contact details out on messages or listings before the auction end when you get prospective buyers who ask about seeing the item first or buy it now prices, I guess to try and stop deals outside of the site as they’ll get no fees. They’ll temporarily ban you if they spot a phone number or scrambled email in messages/listings as I found out, and make it permanent if caught again. Annoying as for an expensive thing like a car or some bikes, you’d want to see it first surely etc but I suppose it’s just about (lost) revenue for them.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Redstripe – someone I bought something off a few days ago was warned about talking about payment AFTER it sold to me. All they said was they wanted cash on collection not PayPal as they had said in their listing. Quite scary as you can easily get ripped off if someone uses PayPal and comes and collects but that’s what they were trying to force him to do.

Thankfully I said I would pay by PayPal when I arrived at his with a 😉 added and paid by cash when I got there then explained the potential scam he could be a victim of.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Well, 48hrs in and no communication or payment. Bloody time wasters.

tomhoward

Invoice them £500+VAT

kerley
    Free Member

Well, 48hrs in and no communication or payment. Bloody time wasters.

If they haven’t paid in that time it is very likely they won’t, so 8 days of your time wasted while you wait to relist it. Joking aside on the Ling tax, buying on eBay should be a contract to purchase and I don’t believe a cooling off period exists in the case of private buyer to private seller. Pity a % of selling cost fine wasn’t applied to non-payers.

andyrm
    Free Member

Going through exactly the same with a dropper post right now. Today’s day 4 with no communication or replies to daily payment chases so think I’ll leave negative feedback and relist.

I hate timewasters and dreamers.

redstripe
    Free Member

^ you can’t leave neg feedback for a buyer, although you can add them to your blocked buyers list and report them for timewasting.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

You boys need to set up stricter selling rules within your eBay account settings. I’ve not had a single issue with non payment since I did mine. Maybe I’m missing out on opportunities to sell too but who cares. If one person wants the item it’s likely somebody else will too. I also tend to get better buyers all round. No scammers.

andyrm
    Free Member

^ you can’t leave neg feedback for a buyer, although you can add them to your blocked buyers list and report them for timewasting

Just managed to!!

If you go to the transaction, it has options including “contact buyer”, “leave feedback”, “relist this item”.

Leave negative feedback, then relist, then remove “completed” item from sale.

Not sure if it’s a new thing or you just have to do it in a certain order perhaps, but hopefully useful info for others faced with timewasters 🙂

andyrm
    Free Member

Raggatip – what’s the best way of doing this? Don’t generally suffer too much, but always keen to learn more 🙂

redstripe
    Free Member

Ditto, interested on how to tighten up to weed out timewasters. I’ll have a look at that neg feedback for buyers, you could years ago but I thought you couldn’t anymore

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Under site preferences go to Buyer requirements and block certain ebayers. Here’s mine

Don’t have a PayPal account
    Have received 2 unpaid item(s) recorded on their account within 1 month(s)
    Have a primary delivery address in a location I don’t post to
    Have 4 policy breaches reported within 1 month(s)
    Have a Feedback score of -1 or lower
    Are currently winning or have bought 3 of my items in the last 10 days

Seems to work for me

redstripe
    Free Member

Yep I have same settings, still get those that go silent/non payers though after winning

andyrm
    Free Member

^^^ brilliant, cheers for this!

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

It won’t filter out those that have just set up an account to purchase your item but then you can assume if they’ve gone to all that hassle of setting up eBay and Paypal accounts then they are genuine buyers. I guess it’d be a bit suss if somebody had had an account laying dormant for a while with 0 feedback and then suddenly purchasing your item but there’s not much you can do to prevent that. However they’d still have to comply with all the other conditions.

If it’s happening frequently, I can only suggest you try to establish a pattern behind the characteristics of the non-paying accounts and tweak your rules appropriately.

greenjam
    Free Member

sold a bike this morning , at 0900 , last second bidder , post code puts them three hours away for cash on collection only , would you drive a six hours round trip for £150 3 year old bike that you can get new for £300 ? , well we will see , no reply as yet . I hate e bay with a passion , I hope all of you get positive outcomes .
    thanks for the settings tip RAGGATIP now applied to my account

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Lodged a none payment with eBay, shortly after the buyer contacted me to say he couldn’t communicate with me as he ran out of credit on his phone and now he has to fly “home” to his dying grandfather. I was looking forward to the cash as I’ve just spent a load on MOTing the car. He could be telling the truth but I very much doubt it. Bloody time wasters.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve just had one – person won an auction for a very rare carbon fibre recumbent. But then couldn’t pay right away because of some payment problem with eBay. And he’s in Romania but his profile says USA. And he messaged asking about a different bike. And he only had 15 points. So I cancelled the sale. I just didn’t want to take the risk.

kerley
    Free Member

Under site preferences go to Buyer requirements and block certain ebayers

I have and it hasn’t worked for the last few…

kerley
    Free Member

Just managed to!!

If you go to the transaction, it has options including “contact buyer”, “leave feedback”, “relist this item”.

Leave negative feedback, then relist, then remove “completed” item from sale.

That is not actually negative feedback though is it, i.e via a radio button as the feedback you can leave a seller.
    You can leave a negative comment but it is not actually negative feedback so doesn’t show as negative feedback in their stats.

jerrys
    Free Member

I’ve just sold a bike (frog 69) to a new ebayer. It was collection only as I didn’t want the hassle of boxing it up. It went for a lot more than I was expecting, so much so that I felt a bit guilty. Turns out he got a bit of auction fever as there were last minute automatic bids – which were from people miles away who would probably back out anyway. I ended up giving him an unsolicited discount which made us both feel better 🙂

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I have and it hasn’t worked for the last few…

Probably need to tweak your settings then. Or, maybe you’re just unlucky.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘eBay question.’ is closed to new replies.