Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • eBay offers
  • lunge

New to eBay, but am selling a few bits at the moment.
    Got offers on all of them, any negative in accepting them? My instinct is to just let the auction run as surely the people making the offer will just bid that much anyway.
    Am I missing something obvious?

ajantom

Is that offers as in “buy it now with best offer”, or offers via email to end the auction?
    First one accept if it’s close enough, second I’d normally let it run.

lunge

I’ve not set a buy it now so I guess it’s the latter.
    Just been asked what I’d take and replied “tell me your max and I’ll tell you if it’s enough”. Is that bad form?

CraigW
    Free Member

eBay now adds a “best offer” option to your auctions, whether you want it to or not. The option to turn it off is hidden.

Main advantage is it is quicker. Buyers can make it offer now, instead of bidding then wait several days for the auction to end.
    Or if the starting bid is a bit too high, can make an offer for less.

If you do get an offer, best to respond to it fairly quickly. Accept it, or reject it, or make a counter offer. The buyer can’t make another offer while the first one is pending. Or they might just buy it from someone else instead.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

My auctions have always sold for more than any early offer I’ve had so I tend to ignore them.

breadcrumb

I listed a phone last week. I was offered the starting bid within an hour- no thanks. Then asked if I’d take £50 to end really – I’ll let the auction run, thanks.

Sold last night when the auction ended for just over £100.

Usually best to let it run. If it’s on Buy it Now that’s a different matter.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As above, let it run. the only way you would lose out is if the offer was so good you doubt someone would match it. i.e. the bidder bids that figure but no one else gets close so the auction doesn’t go up.

Occasionally I send a genuine offer for something I genuinely need in a hurry e.g. It’s miles away and I happen to be driving past the next day and it’s got 10 days left to run. But 99% of the offers I receive are chancers offering 50% of what it’s worth.

oldtennisshoes

The buyer can’t make another offer while the first one is pending. Or they might just buy it from someone else instead.

An offer sent through the system is a firm commitment to buy, so it’s unlikely they’ll buy it from someone else with an outstanding offer IMHO. It’s also the reason I’m reluctant to make offers on items I want to buy quickly.

I tend to use buy it now with offers and I tend to accept offers that are near enough. The last couple of auctions I’ve run have ended up with non-paying winners and the ball ache that all that entails.

TLDR; If it’s an offer through the system take it.

yiman
    Free Member

Invariably offers are from total chancers, to put it politely, who don’t understand auctions and think they can secure an item via offering less than the auction starting price.

You just know how it’s going to go. Item on 10 day auction with £50.

“Hi mate what’s your best price?”
    “Whatever the auction finishes at”
    “Will you take an offer to end early?”
    “I’ll consider it for the right price?”
    “How about £30 and I’ll buy it today”.
    “Er….no thanks, there are 15 watchers and these usually go for £80”.
    “£35?”

Pierre

Yes, same here – most items I’ve put up I haven’t really known how much I wanted to get for it (I was just having a clear-out and it needed to go) but I’ve always said on the auction listing I wouldn’t consider any offers because it’s fairer for everyone to let the auction run its course. Let the market decide its value.

Yet each time I’ve had plenty of messages like yiman lists above, the chancers who will ask “how much for buy it now?” or will say “I’ll give you £XX to end the auction early”.

And literally every single time I’ve politely declined and let the auction run to its finish, and every single time it’s finished for a higher value than any of the offers I’d received. If it’s attracted the attention of chancers, most times it’s attracted the attention of genuine bidders, and even those who have made offers but are serious about the item have waited til the end of the auction to bid properly.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Depends how much you want for it, I have accepted offers if amount is near my target.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘eBay offers’ is closed to new replies.