Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • eBay help
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Think I’m getting done over on eBay, sold a set of forks as 140mm which they were when I bought them brand new, he received them safely and soundly and I thought all good , however without even contacting me via email he’s escalated a case for a partial refund for 25 quid saying that the forks are 150mm as his lbs have said, I know for a fact they are 140mm but how on earth do I prove it, he’s asked for 25 quid for a spacer travel kit reducer, I genuinely think he’s trying it on and just after some cash back but im guessing eBay will side with him anyways 🙁

Is there anything I can do or do I just sup it up and take it on the chin? It cost me 25 quid to post them and I only charged 10 so I’m 15 quid down already plus this is gonna be 25 🙁

eBay sometimes is just horrible to use

mattbilliard
    Free Member

Have you got the original receipt? I’d fight it if I were you

Jamie
    Free Member

Balls to him.

Tell him to return them to you. This will have to be at his cost.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Yeh I do have the original receipt too, I’m sure he’s just after some cash back as we has communicated via personal email, then wham out of the blue no warning he just escalates this?

I know ebay always side to the buyer so not sure I’ve got much choice?

If I do refund the 25 quid, can he do anything else? As in what’s to stop him doing it again saying something else wasn’t as described? 🙁

Disappointed in people , I’ve gone well out of my way to help him didn’t mention I paid 15 quid extra for the postage, kept him up to date etc then he does this

How can his lbs tell it’s a 150mm anyways? I know it’s 10000% not

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just respond to the case saying you will give a 100% refund once he has returned them if he’s not happy. Dont partial refund.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cloudnine why not partial refund? What’s the deal with not doing it that way?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Just respond to the case saying you will give a 100% refund once he has returned them if he’s not happy.

This ^^^

I had similar happen to me, Over a MX helmet that the buyer claimed the liner was the wrong colour to factory standard(Despite photos), He wanted £90 for a new pad kit, He paid £150 for the helmet.

I stood my ground with the “If your not 100% satisfied I will give you a full refund”

Helmet came back and I resold it. Can’t remember exactly if I had to pay his return postage or not now, But sure I just refunded the original transaction.

I can’t see how ebay can enforce a partial refund if your offering a full refund for return of the item.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cos he’s taking the piss.. my money is on him not bothering to send them back

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

So let’s say if I do give him a partial refund can he do it again after? Or can he keep doing it again and again? Or if I agree to this is that it and it’s done? He can’t re open it and keep trying it on?

I’ve no idea what his game is he sent me a message yesterday morning saying thanks received the forks safely etc, then this happens 🙁

I’ve just responded at present saying I have the original receipt and if he can tell me his lbs so I can have a word with them to prove they are 140mm, not done anything refund wise yet

Jamie
    Free Member

Cloudnine why not partial refund?

Because wot cloudnine said.

If you are adamant that the forks are 140mm, then they are simply taking the piss.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Yep I know they are 140mm forks the shop I bought them from are still selling them as 140mm I have no other reason to suggest they are not, I’m not sure why on earth he would be thinking they are 150mm if he genuinely thinks that, and why on earth hid lbs are saying that again assuming it’s genuine

But really like you say he’s just trying it on, I’ve been done on eBay before and it always sides with the buyer

I’ll see what his response is first then I guess I’ll offer a refund fully if he’s not happy

bruneep

I doubt he’s been anywhere near a LBS, just wanting a few £ off the purchase price. Scan and send receipt via eBay not via personal email. Tell him full refund of return of original forks sent in the condition they were sent to him. Watch out he doesn’t send you some other forks in return.

I’ve has buyers return goods that weren’t what I sent.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Yep I doubt it too, as he’s saying it’s 25 quid to reduce them from 150mm to 140mm but I’m not sure you can space them down In 10mm anyways they only do them in 20mm spacers as far as I know on fox forks?

That’s what worries me bruneep sending either some different forks or sending nothing in the box! Why do people have to be like this especially as he’s clearly a mtber too

That’s why I’m just tempted pay the 25, will that definitely be the end of it then? He can’t come back and do it again? Can anyone confirm this for me?

bruneep

I wouldn’t pay the £25. Call his bluff return for full refund.

mattbilliard
    Free Member

Does your receipt say 140mm forks on it? If so reply to the case saying so. even better if you can scan it.

If you’re 100% happy that you sold 140mm travel forks then you need to fight. Don’t roll over

gogg
    Free Member

ebay won’t side with him if you offer him a full refund. He may just shut up and go away, he may return them. He will almost certainly leave you sh*tty feedback, most of these chancers are very vindictive when their scams don’t go the way they planned.

ebay may remove the negative feedback for you if he didn’t complete their “process”, depending on what he says. That’s a gamble.

Junkyard
    Free Member

as others note
    1.Inform them you have a receipt saying 140 mm
    2.Point out fox dont doa 10 mm reduction kit.3/Ask for a letter from the LBS saying this – £25 is a very cheap repair considering what the parts would cost and how long the labour would take

TBH i would not offer a full refund [ well maybe because it is ebay] but only an idiot would realise that you are basically saying

Liar liar pants on fire.

pgh1892
    Free Member

When I read the first post I wondered if they were fox because….
    On my remedy, the visible part of the stantions measure 160mm, they are however 150mm travel forks.
    They are 2013 floats.
    Get in touch with mojo and if they can corroborate my point then job done.
    They did tell me this was the norm when I asked before a service.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Without doubt. Stick to your guns. You are being honest and fair. eBay are not stupid. They can look at all your messages and see you are trying to resolve the issue. As said. Tell him to return the fork for a full refund. That’s all eBay will expect you to do and the ball will be in his court.

Jamie
    Free Member

eBay are not stupid. They can look at all your messages and see you are trying to resolve the issue.

True, but if the seller escalates the case after 8 days then the decision falls to eBay. They will more than likely do the partial refund.

The systems eBay put in place to protect buyers from complete asshat sellers, can easily be abused by asshat buyers to stick one over genuine sellers.

drlex
    Free Member

Speaking of a$$hat sellers, how did your iPhone situation turn out, Jamie?

(as to OP, as said – email receipt and offer full refund- when he sees cost to return, he’s likely to stop)

gogg
    Free Member

The seller can’t escalate the case after you offer a full refund if he hasn’t returned it. I have had experience of this.

duckman

Offer a full refund,don’t offer him the 25 pounds he is after. Also,ensure you scan the receipt. I have had this before,sold an old pair of plastic alpine boots for about 10% of new cost with very detailed pics and a suggestion they would be a good intro to plastic boots.. Cue the guy wanting a chunk back as his mate told him they were no use for the type of crampons he owned and he would have to buy new ones…l offered a full refund and he sent them back,which cost almost as much as he paid for them. I suspect eBay customer services are quite busy,you offering a full refund will allow them to click case closed. But the realisation that sending em will cost 25ish may focus buyers thinking.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys, I’ve sent a message saying they are definitely 140mm I have a receipt to prove it and I have said I will speak directly to his so called lbs to prove it, all in a polite manner of course!

I doubt he’ll respond now he will just let it escalate and chance that eBay will take his side

I do think it’s probably cos he’s measured the stanchions as above and they probably say 150mm in length but they are defo 140 mm travel the shop I bought them from are still selling them as 140mm too to back it up!

If he responds I’ll offer him a full refund I guess, don’t really want to do this as I don’t want the hassle but if needs must, properly gutted to be treated like this after I’ve gone well out of my way to make sure they got there safely and quickly and paid more than I asked for for postage 🙁

Been pleasant and nice just doesn’t work sometimes does it 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

I do think it’s probably cos he’s measured the stanchions as above and they probably say 150mm

So it could be a genuine mistake on the buyer’s behalf, possibly exacerbated by a mate who ‘knows his stuff’. Hopefully it can be resolved amicably. The return postage may be enough to put him off.

gogg
    Free Member

If he responds I’ll offer him a full refund I guess, don’t really want to do this as I don’t want the hassle but if needs must, properly gutted to be treated like this after I’ve gone well out of my way to make sure they got there safely and quickly and paid more than I asked for for postage

Offer him the full refund and he’ll disappear like a Man Utd from London now wearing a Man City Shirt….

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I just have a feeling Jamie he’s a chancer and expecting a bit of cash back

I’ve sent a few messages on the case thread with bits about fox don’t do 10mm travel reducers, about the stanchion length may be reading 150mm but internals are 140mm, and also a seperate one offering a full refund if he sends them back

Genuinely cannot believe I’m having to do this 🙁

He sent me a email saying thanks and delivered safely then ten mins later i got a dispute email, yet no mention of this in email saying thanks and didn’t bother to email me to ask the question first just bam straight to a dispute , I smell a rat 🙁

bruneep

update?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Fox do
    10mm

Spacers depending of exact fork

But as above I’d offer full refund through eBay and he should sod off

ricky1
    Free Member

Or just send him the spacers,that would p?!s him off

darkcyan
    Free Member

any bs like that just refund on return. let him escelate away.

rickon
    Free Member

I’d get the Axle to Crown measurement from him at full extension. That gives you the figure you need to match it against the spec for the fork, to actually prove the travel.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

sorry forgot about this

seems you guys were right

offered refund, he then measured again and had 144mm travel, think the stanchions suggested the travel was longer, dont think for one minute he’d been to LBS

he closed the case the next day and told me i was right, maybe genuine, maybe not, hopefully ill hear nothing else from him as hes had them over a week now

fingers crossed and thanks for the help and advice guys, i probably would have caved in had i not posted this thread

cheers!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘eBay help’ is closed to new replies.