Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Ebay amateur, what’s the deal with offers
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not used ebay for a while, but clearing out the garage so got a few items on there right now. The site seems to have changed a bit since I last used it. As far as I’m aware I put items on a normal auction with no reserve and the bidding has started. I’ve had the usual emails asking if there is a buy it now price, to which I respond no, I’m letting the auction run. However I’ve received an email from ebay saying there is an ‘offer’ (not a bid) on one of the items. I’m not aware that I’ve put an auction with a highest offer option on it and I can’t see it when I look at the item. So how does that work?

handyman153
    Free Member

Hi,

Its a fairly new ‘thing’ on eBay, to allow offers on a auction item.

It allows the interested buyer to make you a reasonable offer, which you can then accept if you want. If you do accept it then goes through as a Buy it Now sale.

If you decline, the auction just continues as normal.

In my experience, auctions tend to give better results. But if its a good offer, it would be silly not to accept!

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve never yet had an offer that wasn’t beaten in the auction price. Not that I sell a great deal, but I’ve done a couple of dozen over the years. Just people trying it on.

bruneep

i put a cheeky £10 offer on an item, seller declined it say as it was new it was worth more. I won auction at £3.50 😁

wobbliscott
    Free Member

OK, I think I’ll let the auction run. I hate it when I’m bidding on something and it suddenly gets withdrawn. The offer is not that much higher than where the bidding it currently at and its got plenty of time to run yet. Thanks all.

136stu
    Free Member

Just keep an eye on your items as well. A couple of times recently they have started reducing the prices of my items to “help them sell”. You can decline this when listing but have to know to look out for it.

jam-bo

In my experience all offers get refused. It’s satisfying then when you win it for less than your offer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Ebay amateur, what’s the deal with offers’ is closed to new replies.