Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Eating out in Edinburgh
  • PiknMix
    Free Member

Sorry for the dull post but you lot are great at this stuff.

I’m taking the good lady away for our anniversary, I need a decent restaurant but there’s one big fly in the soup.

She is very fussy about food. She’s got so much better recently but I need somewhere that does good but plain ish food. Pizza, pasta, Chinese, Indian is about as adventurous as she gets.

I’m guessing an Italian may be ok as they would probably serve 2 of the above.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Not Italian but Mediterranean so no pizza or pasta but Mezemeze on Rose Street is very nice and some of their dishes are simple and plain so may suit. Their menu is online so you can check it out.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Spacious, airy and Covid friendly – Contini’s on George Street: https://www.contini.com/contini-george-street

Cannonball (next to the Esplanade, run by same family) has just re-opened and is also decent.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Edinburgh has some truly terrible tourist trap restaurants. But it can be a great city to eat in. If you’re looking for something not too fussy but that still feels a bit special I would recommend Scran & Scallie. Is it Tom Kitchin’s pub in Stockbridge. It’s a short taxi ride or nice walk past George Street. The food is traditional Scottish / British food. They use high quality ingredients and prepare them very well. The staff are friendly and will make you feel relaxed and welcome. They have a good selection of beer and wine by the glass. It’s one of our regular lunch spots when we’re in Edinburgh for the festival. It never lets us down and I think it gets better every time. My favourite is the ham, egg and chips.

If you’re looking for a coffee and cake stop to refuel while your exploring the old town try Room & Rumours between the Royal Mile and the station. Amazing donuts and good coffee. Check out their Instagram page.

jeffl

Wee Buddah on Jamaica Street does nice Chinese style food. Great Turkish called Yeni’s on Hanover Street. If you like Italian you’ll probably like that.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

There’s a nice Italian called Divinos near Greyfriars Bobby.
    Worth a look

Cosy wee cocktail bar called Under the Stairs next to it too.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Thank you, I’ll do a bit of research on the suggestions.

onehundredthidiot

Dominicos (the main man used to go through the fish delivery very carefully.on dock Street in Leith. Tiny but great. SSH though as it’s a secret.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’ve looked at all the online menus and none of them stand out as girlfriend friendly. Has anyone eaten at Paolozzi on Forrest Road?

Theres at least 3 things that she would eat, which is 2 more than anywhere else I’ve seen so far.

bruneep
    jeffl

Haha @bruneep

I feel your pain OP.

4ags4
    Free Member

If its a steak you want try McKirdys!

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’m veggie but thank you.

http://www.newgirlfriend.com/

Well this is awkward, she is the new girlfriend. 🤦🏼‍♂️

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Paolozzi is really good, I enjoyed it

bruneep

veggie you say https://davidbann.co.uk/

PiknMix
    Free Member

Paolozzi is really good, I enjoyed it

Excellent, thank you.

https://davidbann.co.uk/

Im veggie, the good lady struggles with most things plant based. I’m starting to think @bruneep has a point.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yeah, Paollozi was that good that we went back about two days later, then again a week later!

It’s kind of a bar at the front and transitions into a full sit down restaurant at the bar. The brewery have teamed up with an Scottish Italian restauranteur. He’s always around to speak to, and the menu is well chosen, tasty and not too expensive. I thought the food was excellent and my girlfriend and I enjoyed the ambience of the place.
    Paolozzi is also my favourite lager which helps!

PiknMix
    Free Member

That’s great to hear as I’ve a table booked (and bloody glad that ordeal is over). Thanks to everyone for all your input.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Eating out in Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.