Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Easy to use 350 psi shock pump – does it exist?
  • twonks

Yesterday I checked my rear shock pressure and was reminded just how difficult it is to use the Beto pump up to the 320 psi I need (fat git)

I’m wanting to play around with the air pressure on the families bikes and have a shockwizz to help but need/want a much easier to use shock pump to do so.

The Beto is ok to 250 psi but more than that is a nuisance as it takes a lot of effort and is a bit of a daft design that I end up pushing the gauge through using as a grip.

Basically, is there a much easier to use pump with either a multi stage or floor standing base available?

Doesn’t need to be portable.

Have seen the 600psi rock shox one but thought I’d ask for opinions before buying.

dc1988

I’m interested in this, even the Rockshox one doesn’t look especially ergonomic. I appreciate that to make it easier at high pressures it will have to move a lower volume per stroke so having a larger handle would make more sense IMO but haven’t seen one

z1ppy

My Beto died so I replaced with with the High pressure (600psi) Rockshox one, it work and it works well, it also a pain in the arse to use (large and unwieldy) but I’m not aware of an alternative that does much more than 350psi. I didn’t need more than 350psi max, but wanted vague accuracy at the 350psi area.

MSP

I have a lezyne shock drive, it is easy to get up to pressures as it is a floor pump style, but not sure it takes those pressures.

edit 350psi apparently

https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/digital-inflation-shock-pumps/products/1-fp-shddr-v106

fooman

The Cannondale pump for Fox Dyad was rated something like 500psi and made getting to 300psi easy. Not many for sale though I sold mine with a Trigger frame.

oldtennisshoes

I’ve got this Lezyne one

https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/hand-pumps-shock-pumps/products/1-mp-shkdr-v204

It’s pretty poor TBH, the build quality isn’t great. It’s usable at normal pressures (up to about 250), but above that it really struggles.

Build quality is not as good as the Topeak ones I’ve used.

davros
    twonks

Thanks everybody. Last first, the Bontrager pump is exactly the same as the Beto one I have right next to me now. It works but needs a huge amount of force to get above 300 psi and even then it goes up only in the last cm of movement on the pump – by which time I’m holding it so tightly that i then press the pressure release button and lose 30 psi.

Stupid design imho but I appreciate it is down to a cost.

The lezyne floor pump looks good although retailers have it listed as 300 psi Max.
    I’ve sent an email into them to ask what it is officially as I don’t mind spending the pennies but need it not to explode.

Will have a look for the Cannondale one although suspect it might be another clone.
    If I find anything else or purchase something, I’ll post back in the thread.

tonyplym
    Free Member

If you need very high pressure then do a search for “Air rifle pump” – if you can get one with the right fitting to suit your shock then you’re sorted – just be careful that you don’t exceed the maximum pressure for the shock.

Northwind

twonks

Thanks everybody. Last first, the Bontrager pump is exactly the same as the Beto one I have right next to me now.

Don’t be silly, it must be better, it’s twice as expensive 😉

Maybe the Bikeyoke one? It does 500psi and looks to be a variation on the design of the Rockshox one so should be pretty good ergonomically. I don’t think Bikeyoke would put their name on it if it weren’t decent. KCNC has a 600psi job but I’ve not used it.

MSP

Some of these may be rated to withstand 600psi, but you would have to have the strength of Hercules in order to achieve that.

A small hand held pump just cant compress enough air.

twonks

Bugger. Just ordered a Rockshox one from the USA for £58 including shipping and taxes.

The Bikeyoke (and the Cannondale one mentioned above) seem to be clones, and the Bikeyoke could have been had for a tenner cheaper.

Air rifle pumps look interesting if way too much the other way. 4500 psi max trying to work in the 350 psi zone could be fraught with danger although no doubt much much less effort than a shock pump.

Will see what turns up (if anything) from the States. If it all goes wrong, I’ll look again at the BY one and / or playing with a rifle pump.

Thanks again.

edit. MSP – this is also my main concern – physically compressing the air on a 1:1 pump. I’m hoping the RS one has a 2:1 chamber or something being as the barrel is longer. If not and it is relying on brute strength the compress the air, I may have just wasted my money.

That being said, I am not exactly weak and can’t see how the average chap could squeeze anything like 400psi+ out of a pump similar to my Beto thing, so we’ll see.

Northwind

The higher pressure ones I’ve used in the past were longer stroke but thinner bore so basically needs less force but more movement for a given pressure. Hopefully the RS is the same.

(I don’t have the right technical jargon for it; greater mechanical advantage, is it? The piston equivalent of increasing leverage)

simon_g

My Cannondale one for the Dyad looked just like the 600psi Rock Shox one, just in silver.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Easy to use 350 psi shock pump – does it exist?’ is closed to new replies.