Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Earwax. WHAT? EH?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Almond oil is better than olive and both are better than the commercial ear drop stuff.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Try one of those hopi ear candles?

cinnamon_girl

Yep, attempted that.  After 5 minutes daughter said her arm was tired, or some such nonsense.  Ended up holding it myself which wasn’t easy.  Second time went to a therapist but not convinced it did much.  Pretty certain mine need doing judging by the telly volume I now need.

curvature
    Free Member

Boots used to sell these but don’t have them listed anymore.

Used mine back in August after spending a weeding in a pool on holiday.

They work and do not direct the water directly at your ear drum.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACULIFE-EAR-WAX-REMOVAL-SYRINGE-FREE-P-P-SAME-DAY-DISPATCH-/263853318729

Drac

Try one of those hopi ear candles?

Is that the ones infused with snake oil?

dmorts

I’ve had to have my ears done for as long as I can remember, every few years or so. I remember once driving back from the doctors convinced my car was about to fall apart, it was rattling so much! But of course those rattles had always been there.

Have opted for suction recently as it’s supposedly less risky but the main thing is you don’t have to do a week of drops beforehand. I have also had tinnitus (unrelated to wax removal) and that wasn’t any fun, so I’d rather not risk the syringe.

Shop around as £70 Is too much, plenty of places do it.

One downside of the suction is you don’t get the same shock/elation of suddenly being able to hear as the suction device can be quite loud.

fossy

Gonna say, hair clip or a small paper clip, and bend over the edge.  I get loads that blocks up, but you have to be careful, but I pull out any nasty stuff with a small paper clip – you need to bend over one end slightly, but it’s smooth and wont damage your ear. Showering is best if you have an issue as it softens it up.  Don’t use ear buds, horrible things

cinnamon_girl

Is that the ones infused with snake oil?

lol @ Drac.  Just wanted a more gentle method that would avoid squirming at the sight of a big blob of smelly wax.

40mpg

So after 3 days of complete deafness in 1 ear and being quite deaf in the other, plus a horrible feeling of bunged up ness in my head, plus my balance going a bit, I got a syringe kit on Amazon Prime (like Curvatures link above).

Filled the sink with warm water, and after about half a dozen syringe fulls bits started appearing in the sink. Then more bits, and more until the bottom of the sink was quite well covered. Then -pop- my hearing came back!

I rushed downstairs to tell my wife, who wasn’t as overwhelmed as I was, and didn’t want to see the contents of the sink.

However I still felt bunged up so emptied the sink and had another go. Plenty of bits again, then -relief overload- a bit the size of my small fingernail plopped out!

So left ear sorted, hearing like Superman and head pressure gone. Tomorrow I’ll do the other ear.

Anyway the syringe worked a treat and was only a few quid. However I’ll do my best to use the drops from time to time to avoid all this. Or at least to avoid phoning the taxi firm and asking for the nurse 😁

Drac

Gonna say, hair clip or a small paper clip, and bend over the edge.

That’s some mighty shit advice right there.

scuttler

Extreme travel telly programme once where some guy was up in Kashmir or somewhere in Northern India/Pakistan and some market stall hawker was basically a guy hooking ear wax our of punter’s ears with wire/needles. He was quick too! Freaky.

There ya go!

On the same page there’s a pic of a bloke taking a warm shower courtesy of a cow… (https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/levison-wood-grooming-kit)

cinnamon_girl

We need more Lev on the telly.

RustyNissanPrairie

I love poking stuff in my ears – I think my Gspot is in there! BIC pen lids are my favourite.

I bought some tiny metal keyring ear wax scoops when I was in China – they were good because I could dig any wax out and give it to my cat (cat’s love human ear wax-try it!)

Once for some reason I got a bunged up ear – I got a red hot water bottle and rested my ear/head on it, it warmed the plug up quite quickly and it dribbled out.

johndrummer
    Free Member

My GP surgery has the practice nurse do it. Unless she thinks it’s not worth doing 👿

cleared up itself after another week or so

BillMC

Burn the candle at both ends.

bruneep

I get my lugs micro suctioned out once a yr when I’m at ENT.

I’m sure someone on here could fashion something similar out of an old dyson

cookeaa

I remember going on holiday a few years ago to Rhodes,  I was in the pool almost every day for a good couple of hours, although I noticed the slightly ‘swishy’ ears I just assumed it was a bit of pool water that would leave eventually…

Then one morning, while sat on the bog, a good peanut sized lump of wax just fell out of my left ear and it was like someone had just turned the volume up on everything, suddenly I could hear way better, having not realised there was an issue…

So go submerge your head in a pool for 10 hours and let the slightly warmer chlorinated water work it’s magic…

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

(cat’s love human ear wax-try it!)

true, I was woken up one morning by my cat licking out my lug hole.

timmys

I bought some tiny metal keyring ear wax scoops when I was in China – they were good because I could dig any wax out and give it to my cat (cat’s love human ear wax-try it!)

I’ve read there’s genetic differences in ear wax with some ethnicities (inc. Chinese) having dry, flaky wax as opposed to sticky, waxy wax. So the effectiveness of different removal methods will depend on your type.

Those ear candles – you get the same amount of ‘wax’ collect if you burn them nowhere near an ear. Total bollocks in other words – one for the homeopathic/acupuncture types.

scuttler

So go submerge your head in a pool for 10 hours and

Get the mother of all ear infections.

I did a resort dive on holiday once. That evening at some schmoozing event after spending 3-4 hours of the day blowing balancing out pressure in my ears about half a ton of thick, dark brown wax magically appeared.

Cougar

Those ear candles – you get the same amount of ‘wax’ collect if you burn them nowhere near an ear. Total bollocks in other words – one for the homeopathic/acupuncture types.

They’re not just bollocks…

https://www.earwaxclinic.co.uk/do-ear-candles-work

… but they’re actively dangerous.

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm200277.htm

Cougar

… and stop sticking things in your bloody ears.  Aside from the risk of damage there’s every chance that it’s what’s causing the problem in the first place.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

What geck0 said.

Mine apparently produce enough to start a shoe polish factory.

Olive oil for a few days.

Sink of very warm water.

Earex syringe, fill with warm water, squeeze rubber bit to swish water around for 5 minutes (or less if it all comes out sooner).

Do remember do disinfect the syringe afterwards, kids.

edit: if you bought some of those candles, I have a wonderful line in leyline aligning crystals and magic rocks, they don’t come cheap though.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Earwax. WHAT? EH?’ is closed to new replies.