Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Early morning rides… to eat or not to eat?
  • messiah
    Free Member

I get up early sometimes and go for a ride before work (or to work). I like to ride for 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours and I’m not holding back.

I’ve been getting up at 5am and having Orange Juice and Muesli like normal and then hitting the trails/road as quickly as I can… but it doesn’t feel great for the first 30mins of which I’m burping a lot.

I’ve tried going out in the morning “empty” and I’m good for maybe an hour and a half before I feel shakey, so I think I need to have something in the stomach.

I think the OJ is the problem. Perhaps just a very small bowl of muesli would be better so there is something (but not much)… and get another breakfast once back at home (or at work)?

What do other early riser riders and commuters do for breakfast?

chilled76
    Free Member

You’re mixing milk and orange juice then going riding… acid and alkaline fizz in your stomach.

samuri
    Free Member

Nothing. I sometimes have a coffee if I get up earlier than normal. That’s for my 15 mile commute. I’ll maybe have a coffee when I’m at my desk about 7:30, then get a bacon buttie about 8:30 or just have an apple.

If I’m off on a proper bike ride up to say 50 miles, I’ll have a couple of pieces of toast with honey on before I set off and a coffee. That’ll see me to the end. A big proper ride of a century or more and I’ll have some toast and a couple of bananas before I set off. I’d normally get something to eat part way round too. Depends how hilly it is.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Ride the 15 miles to work with out anyfood
    Morning group rides either road or mtb say upto 40 miles ish
    Will have a bit of toast and peanut butter.
    Bigger rides and when I don’t have to be riding straight after eating
    I will have porrage , just like most days

mashiehood
    Free Member

small portion of cereal and a cup of team before my 15 mile commute – habit!

K

Muesli, a smoothie (no OJ) and a black coffee.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

15 miles each way commute – big bowl of porridge at 6:45, out the door by 7:15. Don’t feel hungry until about 12, so seems to work for me….. but I may be odd 😳

binners

Breakfast of champions used to do the trick, before my 15 mile ride in…

Now I’ve packed in one of these, so have to have two of the other instead. Its actually the only ex-fag of the day I miss

jools182
    Free Member

I’d have to eat, running on empty never agrees with me

mashiehood
    Free Member

ohhhh, i really fancy a black coffee and a Marlboro red! disgusting habit but…..

senorj

When I commute,usually at around 5am – i have little cup of coffee & half a bowl of cereal before i go. Second breakfast at work 😀 .
    If I go too quick i get a rumbling stomach – so now carry a little cereal bar just in case.

stumpy01

I’d probably have a small cuppa, banana and a cereal bar….

Not sure the OJ and milk is doing you any favours…

althepal

Used to ride the 12 miles into work then have breakfast once I got in. Up early one morning and had my porridge before I left. Rode better, fastet and felt better afterwards so always try and eat simething light beforehand now.

messiah
    Free Member

Interesting. Thanks for the replies… my OJ habit seems to be the problem which is what I was thinking.

Will try a little toast or muesli only tomorrow. Coffee on an empty stomach would have me sitting in the corner gibbering like a paranoid junkie… and the fag would have me spewing my ring Binners 😉

Yak

For a 1- 1.5hr early ride on straightforward trails or road, i’d get straight up and out the door but take a banana or apple to scoff once i’d got going. If it was going to be tricky riding i’d have a coffee first.

rewski
    Free Member

A cup of splosh then a 15 miles commute, then flat white, banana and fruit porridge at work.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Most mornings I have a slice of toast and peanut butter or marmite (no butter) and an espresso before my 20 mile commute.

I went through a period last year of having just an espresso then food as soon as I got to work – that fairly helps shift weight.

Keep trying to start that routine again, to shift the last few kilos to get down to race weight, but that toast is so damn tempting I just can’t resist. Plus because the weather has been so shite I really need some food to get me going in the morning.

I feel summer will be hear next week and fasted rides will start again.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I can’t digest milk, well no let me clarify, I hate milk. I therefore never eat it before a ride (whatever the length/pace/aspect) simple strong black coffee, toast and either Nutella or Marmite. It’s when you get back you need to be clear about replacing nutrients, MCDonnalds Big Mac can be a great source of protein/carbs and gunk 😆

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve gone cold turkey the last couple of mornings with no ill effects. So far going without any breakfast seems to work just fine for the 28 mile ride into work 8)

LoCo
    Free Member

What Binners said, but substitute the coffee for a special brew…

Generally I have cereal and maybe a coffee not OJ though, have gone without food a few times but generally am a bit ‘bonkey’ for an hour or so afterwards.

gears_suck
    Free Member

I usually go for the steak and chips with 1/2 dozen fried eggs and fried bread before my 1,500 mile round trip to collect a trailer full of lead shot on my single speed. But that’s just me.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I normally have a couple of cups of black coffee when I get in from walking the dog then a smoothie (with wheatgrass) and I’m fine for my commute in, maybe the have a flapjack or cereal bar when I get to work and I’m good then until lunchtime..
    key thing is we all react differently so it’s a case of finding what works for you

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Early morning rides… to eat or not to eat?’ is closed to new replies.