Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • e motorbike – ‘i just ride it on trails, haven’t had any grief yet’
  • colp

I’ve ridden KTM Freeride-Es in Austria, there’s a course on the mountain in Zell Am See.

As an enduro bike in itself it wasn’t great in terms of suspension and build quality, but the electric motor is good fun in the power delivery.

singlespeedstu

I’d not tell you to **** off on your ebike Stu, but I would a group of MXers.

What even if all of us were on a footpath.

Makes you think doesn’t it.😛

raybanwomble
    Free Member

The simple solution to emotorbikes on MTB trails is that we just make a citizen’s arrest and accidentally trash their bikes in the process.

We should definitely not lynch them….

ajantom

Not really Stu, as riding a bike (or an ebike) on a footpath is only a civil offence.

Whereas riding a MOTOR-bike is a criminal matter.

From Devon & Cornwall police:

You are breaking the law if you ride/drive a motor vehicle on any public right of way other than a road, Byway or approved track.

If you are caught riding or driving a motor vehicle on a Public Footpath or Bridleway you will be issued with a Section 59 warning for using your vehicle in an Anti-Social Manner.

If you are riding or driving your vehicle on a Public Footpath or Bridleway your vehicle must still be insured, taxed and MOT’d so that you are covered in case you have an accident while riding or driving there. If you do not have these then your vehicle will be seized and you will need to pay to get it back

colp

Were they definitely MX bikes not trail or enduro bikes and was it definitely not a green lane?

doomanic

£10k that KTM ^^

Maybe they’re pricing them out of the e-bike (cycle) market on porpoises..

I guess you haven’t seen the price of the S Works Levo, Haibike Flyon, RM Powerplay or Pivot Shuttle then.

singlespeedstu

Not really Stu, as riding a bike (or an ebike) on a footpath is only a civil offence.

Still not allowed though is it.😚

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Always thought about this if you got a KTM E freeride what you might get away with take the number plate of most people will not know its a motorbike then again when you ride one they would be good for the trails they don’t  rip the ground up like normal endure bikes do but are no where near so much fun plus as said above they cost £10k new and only get 2.5 hours out of the battery you  can buy them   half price in some shops still new but last years model I prefer the EXCs.

ajantom

I’m ignoring Stu as he’s just stirring 😘

Were they definitely MX bikes not trail or enduro bikes and was it definitely not a green lane

May have been another type of motorbike, though they looked like MX bikes to my untrained eye. Not that it matters one jot.

Definitely a BW, signed at both ends, though one end does lead onto an unmetalled road.

There’s miles of unmetalled roads and green lanes around East Devon, but the signage tends to be pretty unambiguous.

colp

Not that it matters one jot.

Well it does. Because one type isn’t legal on green lanes and one type is.

ajantom

Really? Well every day’s a school day 😉

So an MX bike isn’t legal on a green lane? Why is that? Do trail or enduro bikes cause less damage?

But it doesn’t matter in this context, as it was defo a BW.

singlespeedstu

as it was defo a BW.

I thought you said it was a footpath?

I’m ignoring Stu

Just like you ignore the fact you shouldn’t be on a footpath either…

Just to be clear though I have no bother who was on the footpath.🙃

ajantom

If you’re going to try and pick holes, then at least read my posts you numpty…

At least it’s (slightly) better than the group of MXers I met coming the other way on a bridleway last week.

Ah, scratch what I was going to say. **** off and stop trying to troll me.

bikebouy
    Free Member

£10k that KTM ^^

Maybe they’re pricing them out of the e-bike (cycle) market on porpoises..

I guess you haven’t seen the price of the S Works Levo, Haibike Flyon, RM Powerplay or Pivot Shuttle then.

Nope, I’m not that interested in e-bikes TBH.

I think they are a solution to a much wider problem with moving people around the country, but then also think they’re pretty much an extension of a leisure vehicle for a lot of people who are not as active as they’d like to be but still want to enjoy the fun of cycling.

singlespeedstu

Ah, scratch what I was going to say. **** off and stop trying to troll me.

But you make it so easy when you talk about people riding bikes were they shouldn’t while also riding a bike were you shouldn’t.🤣

rydster
    Free Member

There is no real need for a healthy and fit MTB’er to ride an e-bike on the trails.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well, you see plenty of fit healthy e-bike riders at QECP having a giggle.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“There is no real need for a healthy and fit MTB’er to ride an e-bike on the trails.”

Nah one of the other ebike trolls said it helped him clear 40ft road gaps.

Clearly needed.

colp

There is no real need for a healthy and fit MTB’er to ride an e-bike on the trails

There is no real need for anyone to ride anything on any trail. It’s about enjoyment.

colp

Nah one of the other ebike trolls said it helped him clear 40ft road gaps.

Do you mean me love?

Because you hit the Delamere road gap at way over 15.5mph, so no assistance. And the road gap is only about 8’ high with a 20’ gap.

So about 8 x bigger than anything you’ve ever hit I would think 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nah can’t be you I said 40ft and your mini gap isn’t nearly 40ft .

But I can see why you’d get confused.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pedantry. The difference is like trying to argue that an XC bike is a trail bike when not on a race course.

Or that you didn’t really get overtaken by a sportscar because a a sportscar is for motorsport, what you were overtaken by was a road car.

What exactly do you call a BMX not intended for racing? Is it just a bike?

Is a YZF with a daylight MOT still an MX bike? What about a WRF that gets its numberplate removed and demoted to field bike? Or a YZF being used for Enduro?

It’s a pedantry minefield!

No one really cares about the numberplate or not on the back of the bike. If could be a CR250 or Africa Twin.  Some people will resent the presence of either on a legal trail. Has anyone in the history of motorbikes ever convinced a redsock that they should be allowed to share the road/trail by an in depth discussion of the relative merits of 19 vs 18″ rear rims?

colp

Not really. People tend to lump in all trail and enduro riders together with mx bikes, and a lot of people don’t realise that you can legally ride green lanes on a fully road legal trail or enduro bike.

If the example above was on a bridleway then definitely yes, the riders shouldn’t have been there.

Years ago I was out on a TRF ride with a few old chaps, as we rode slowly up a tarmac road to join a green lane a pedestrian walking up the road punched one of the riders (60+ years old), then started a full on rant about us riding illegally. We calmly tried to explain the law and show him the legal route on a map but he wasn’t interested.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Years ago I was out on a TRF ride with a few old chaps, as we rode slowly up a tarmac road to join a green lane a pedestrian walking up the road punched one of the riders (60+ years old), then started a full on rant about us riding illegally. We calmly tried to explain the law and show him the legal route on a map but he wasn’t interested.

Precisely.

To the people you’re moaning about, the nuances of your bike won’t matter. You could have been on an actuall MX bike, noisy pipe and without plates. He’d still have punched him for being there, not what type of racing it may or may not have been derived from.

colp

I wasn’t really moaning, just trying to point out that not all MX looking bikes are being ridden illegally all of the time. The illegal riders ruin it for the legal ones .

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, and basically if it’s not a green lane or BOAT there is a good chance they should not be there and some of these bigger e-motorbikes are going to make this more contentious. Having seen the mess made when I lived in Rossendale and the fact I have to do the shoulder tuck far too many times around greater manchester to get through the motorbike gates make me have little sympathy.

colp

You should have no sympathy for the illegal riders, but maybe a bit of the “live and let live” mentioned somewhere above wouldn’t hurt for the genuine trail riders

Here’s my TRF gang tearing up the trails.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Back in the general direction of the original topic, there were a couple of what I assume were e-motorbikes on the trails at Gwydir Bach (Marin as was). No idea what they were (not familiar with the acronyms above) but they had headlights, and you could hear the revs. Also riding the wrong way up the downhill bits.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Here’s my TRF gang tearing up the trails.

Two stroke, number plate horizontal, you’re little better than MX’ers 😉

BAAARRRRpppppppp

[video]https://www.facebook.com/thisisnotaspoon/videos/10154837223043555/[/video]

trail_rat
    Free Member

“The illegal riders ruin it for the legal ones .”

Oh the ironing just a few weeks ago you were talking about your derestricted ebike and how the rules were silly.

colp

Oh the ironing just a few weeks ago you were talking about your derestricted ebike and how the rules were silly.

Now you’re just telling lies you melt.

I’ve never said my ebike is derestricted, I did say that the 15.5mph cutoff feels a bit low for my kind of riding sometimes as I’m often above that.

No, my ebike is still restricted and always will be, much like your riding skills.

colp

Two stroke, number plate horizontal, you’re little better than MX’ers

That’s so you can read the plate when I’m on the back wheel 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

No, my ebike is still restricted and always will be, much like your riding skills.

Battle of teh TITANS!!!!

kcr
    Free Member

An e-bike is restricted to <15mph, motor is restricted in power and, most importantly, its pedal assisted.

So if the speed and power are appropriately limited, the only thing that sets them apart is turning the pedals on an e bike. You can set up an e bike so you literally only have to turn the pedals around to engage the motor, so it’s an e motorbike in all but name. When the distinction is so small, I think the opportunity is opened up for people to start arguing they should be able to ride limited e motorbikes at trail centres.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When the distinction is so small, I think the opportunity is opened up for people to start arguing they should be able to ride limited e motorbikes at trail centres.

The limits of current tech get you there, the motor has a limited power (max 250 watts) so you need to put in a proportion of the effort, if you run the motor flat out you will drain the batteries you can carry, add more batteries (stored power is the only variable that you can play with), increase the weight and you see a reduction in the amount of help those watts can give you.

epicyclo

colp

…No, my ebike is still restricted and always will be, much like your riding skills.

You’ve obviously never seen trail_rat in a race.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

250W (depending on the rider) still puts someone of borderline overweight bmi into the realms of 3.5-4W/kg even when they put zero effort in. Couple that with a 500Wh battery and you’re probably good for 3h of trail riding as long as you coast the descents.

I suspect it would be a bit pants though, mountainbike trails tend to be much much tighter and generally steeper because we have bikes that weigh sod all and can shift our weight to be inches off the floor (and offset to either side),  if you stuck a set of footpegs in the BB and fitted bmx bars it’d be almost as slow and cumbersome as a motorbike.

Andy-R

“as slow and cumbersome as a motor bike”.

Any reasonably modern trials bike certainly isn’t cumbersome and not that slow cross-country either. In fact, they’re the antithesis of cumbersome.

colp

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Any reasonably modern trials bike certainly isn’t cumbersome and not that slow cross-country either. In fact, they’re the antithesis of cumbersome.

Ok. Slow and cumbersome is a bit of an extreme description, but a motorbike isnt as quick down a downhill track as a mountainbike, plenty of magazines have tested that theory over the years. It just comes down to the motorbike not being able to make any use of the power, because the sorts of trails that are fun on a mountainbike generally don’t have straight bits to use it on. MBUK (I think) even tried it with Dave Knight at Fort William, which is a pretty open and rough track.

A trials bike could be the best thing since sliced bread, but an mtb has in essence footpegs that can vary from 12″ off the ground to 5″, which is a pretty cool party trick when going round tight corners without an engine.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘e motorbike – ‘i just ride it on trails, haven’t had any grief yet’’ is closed to new replies.