Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)
  • e motorbike – ‘i just ride it on trails, haven’t had any grief yet’
  • Chainline
    Free Member

stu has an ebike!

ajantom

Thread resurrection!

I think I met the same guy up on Woodbury today. I may have given him some grief 😉

Chatted for a minute and it’s 3000w (but has a limiter, so it’s legal. Yeah right!)

When I pointed out that he was riding what is to all intents and purposes an electric motorbike, and that I was pretty sure it was illegal to ride it without tax, insurance, etc. and especially on footpaths and BWs, he got quite defensive.

His points:
    a) It’s legally defined as a bike, so it’s ok. Ummm no pedals and 3000w? Nope!
    b) The limiter switch is what makes it legal, even for on-road use. Though he swore he doesn’t ride it on road. 😆
    c) I’m a nobody (his words) and can’t tell him what to do.
    d) I’m just jealous. Not sure what of….his manliness, his bike, his swag? He didn’t elaborate.
    e) Trail damage is all the fault of MTBers anyway. Ah, funny how he’s riding a bike, but MTBers are a separate breed when it suits his argument.

I then rode down a trail behind him and he was twisting the throttle in corners and chewing them up pretty bad. He was also quite slow.

BTW, this is not a dig at those on normal e-bikes (before Stu and Geex, et al jump in) I honestly have no truck with those at all. But this guy was a total tag-nut.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Give his ref number to the law.

Oh, wait…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ajantom

Give his ref number to the law.

Yes, exactly.
    I did make the point about insurance to him, as he’s likely to cause an accident at some point.

When I first saw him he was ragging up a DH trail at full whack, dirt flying everywhere.

TBH looked like great fun, in the same way an MX bike looks like great fun, but not really appropriate for where he was riding it.

sobriety
    Free Member

You’ve just met one of the people who’s going to ruin things for the sensible users 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

Call 101 next time.

I did recently when I saw a few lads on dirt bikes heading across the moor on Winter Hill, in that Feb heatwave. GMP had previously asked people to call it in, after a spate of them following the fire up there.

Took a few minutes to get through and by the time I did a patrol car was heading past up the road – someone else must have beaten me to it.

Anyway, slight tangent but to make the point that it is something the police will act quickly on in certain locations.

singlespeedstu

You’ve just met one of the people who’s going to ruin things for the sensible users a ****

They come in all shapes and forms.
    I try to just shrug and carry on doing what I’m doing unless they really are taking the piss.
    Even then I find moaning on a forum they’ll never see as not that useful a way to stop them.

ajantom

They might be lurking here though (you never know!) and it might give them pause for thought. But, unlikely!

singlespeedstu

😂
    You and him both know there’s nothing going to come of you moaning at him in person never mind on here.

ajantom

True…if I ever see him again:
    ‘Look mate, if you carry on riding that thing my only option will be to go on STW and have a jolly good moan. You have been warned!’

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah, the 101 and pics might be an answer in plenty of areas they can tot up the anti social stuff and confiscate/crush the bike – it is a motorbike too and people ripping up the landscape in lots of places is a real problem.

singlespeedstu

True…if I ever see him again

There’s a saying that’s something to do with actions, words and one working better than the other. 😉

ajantom

There’s a saying that’s something to do with actions, words and one working better than the other

I’m no Mike Vandeman!

If he’d been even a little contrite….but he was full of himself, and everyone else was wrong.
    I.e. His comment that I was a nobody. Doesn’t hurt me in the slightest, but that there is a person who thinks he’s better than everyone else, and can do whatever he wants.

singlespeedstu

Was he Elbry?🤣
    He’s from round your way isn’t he?

ajantom

Nope I ‘know’ elbry. This guy was middle aged (well, 40+) and an Aussie or Kiwi.

matt_outandabout

Sniper. I favour snipers.

epicyclo

ajantom

When I first saw him he was ragging up a DH trail at full whack, dirt flying everywhere.

TBH looked like great fun, in the same way an MX bike looks like great fun, but not really appropriate for where he was riding it.

When I was young no one objected to us riding our motorbikes anywhere.

Then came the high powered Japanese 2 stroke trailbike, and young loons were ripping up and ruining tracks everywhere. Down came the ban hammer and now we have restrictions on where you can take a motorbike.

Looks like a new generation of halfwits are going to spoil the fun for everyone else again (I don’t object to electric bikes on the trails, but I do object to deliberate damage).

jam-bo

Was he Elbry?🤣

Nah, Elbry has reinvented himself as an elite XC racer now…

https://instagram.com/elbry975

When I was young no one objected to us riding our motorbikes anywhere.

I remember knottie telling me how motocrosser were the only ones who ever bothered going up onto the quantocks.

Del

This guy was middle aged (well, 40+) and an Aussie or Kiwi

Sounds like the guy who gave rise to this thread in the first place.

ajantom

I thought it might be Del. He’s delightful!
    Think it was one of these….

….doesn’t even have pedals, just foot pegs. So there’s no way in hell it’s a legal e-bike!

Del

Quite. He didn’t really want to hear it when I spoke to him, and I wasn’t in an environment where I could go to town on him. I suppose at least if I run in to him again I can say ‘well I know you’ve had some grief now!’ 😀

ajantom

I suspect he would only class grief as coming from a forestry ranger or copper. As I’m just a jealous nobody it won’t count 😆

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I have recently noticed some strange marks on the trails near me between Lydbrook and the A4136. I guess one of these contraptions could be responsible.

nealglover
    Free Member

You’ve just met one of the people who’s going to ruin things for the sensible users 🙁

Ruin things for the “sensible users” of what ?

Totally illegal unregistered 3000watt electric motorbikes? 🤔

swanny853

I’ve ridden one of those, briefly. It’s entertaining. About the only similarities to a mountain bike are two wheels and how you stand on it though- it’s a world apart from any e-bike I’ve ridden. The fact that you can just sit and spin the back wheel is a big giveaway- the combination of the weight, tyres and power mean that even ridden sympathetically round my local trails they’d be trashed in no time.

sobriety
    Free Member

Ruin things for the “sensible users” of what ?

Totally illegal unregistered 3000watt electric motorbikes?

Pedalec bike users in general, like the bloke who hoons past me at 15mph plus on the pavement, the first time some one kills a pedestrian on one, no matter how legal the bike was, I predict the banhammer coming out.

ajantom

Pedalec bike users in general, like the bloke who hoons past me at 15mph plus on the pavement, the first time some one kills a pedestrian on one, no matter how legal the bike was, I predict the banhammer coming out.

Nah, that’s just a **** on a bike.
    Let’s not tar perfectly legal ebike riders with the ssame brush as Mr. tiny-cock-3000w-EMX-bike.

sobriety
    Free Member

Oh I’m not, but it’s not me pedalec users have to worry about, it’s the daily wail ban this menace brigade.

ajantom

Well if anyone does see him or other e-motorbike riders about, and they claim it’s all fine and dandy, here’s the relevant info on legality:

High power e-bikes / Speed pedelecs

Most electric bicycles sold in the UK have 250W (max continuous rated) motors and conform to both EU regulations and UK EAPC law.

Some electric bikes are currently sold in the UK with motors that can continuously deliver power of more than 250W however. These bikes do not comply with either the EU or UK law appertaining to EAPCs. They are considered motor vehicles under law and require type approval.

All electric bikes with motors rated more powerful than 250W are required to display a tax disc, with insurance mandatory and with the vehicle registered. It needs to display a number plate and carry an MOT certificate. Any rider of such a vehicle must hold a current driving licence and keep to the laws appertaining to mopeds. Anyone found riding an electric bike with a motor more powerful than 250W rated power without the correct documentation is liable to be prosecuted by the police. The rider will be open for prosecution for driving without a licence, driving without insurance, driving an unlicensed vehicle etc. If the person riding such a vehicle has a current driving licence and is prosecuted, they will receive penalty points and may even be banned from driving any motor vehicle.

Derestriction, ‘off-road’ switches or modes and dongles

The Department of Transport say that electric bikes fitted with off-road switches or modes, that enable a bike’s motor to continue assisting to speeds beyond 15.5mph, do not comply with UK EAPC law. The term ‘off-road’ suggests that these bikes can be ridden on parkland, forests or other places away from main roads, which isn’t accurate. E-bikes with increased motor power (continuous rated power above 250w) or increased speed (with motor assistance not cutting out at 15.5mph) cannot be used legally as bicycles anywhere on land accessible by the public; when riding on private land you would need permission from the landowner.

nealglover
    Free Member

the first time some one kills a pedestrian on one, no matter how legal the bike was, I predict the banhammer coming out.

Well, none of that happened when the illegal fixie rider with no brakes killed that woman in London did it?
    Or would it be different somehow with an illegal electric motorbike ?

sobriety
    Free Member

Ah, but that was just a “bicycle”, not one of these new fanangled electrickery powered thingamyjigs

Poopscoop

The one on the pic above for instance? How much do these things cost? Looks friggin expensive.

nealglover
    Free Member

Ah, but that was just a “bicycle”,

So much easier to dream up imaginary sanctions against bicycle users as a result then ?

But your probably right. If someone kills a pedestrian while using an illegal 3000watt unregistered electric motorbike, they will probably get banned…. oh, hang on.

kayak23

He didn’t really want to hear it when I spoke to him, and I wasn’t in an environment where I could go to town on him.

He doesn’t sound the reasonable type, never mind the type that freely gives backies.. 😉

Viewing 34 posts - 81 through 114 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘e motorbike – ‘i just ride it on trails, haven’t had any grief yet’’ is closed to new replies.