Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • E Bikes, the Devils machines!!
  • badbob
    Free Member

not of people dont like change, i am sure when “mtb’s” were “born” it was the same…….

i think most people who need an E-bike , are not the sort to race around the black at a trail centre …………….

taxi25
    Free Member

Sorry ton, on forums it’s hard to tell who knows each other, and whats a bit of banter between mates or something else.
    I only mentioned it because once the name calling starts, it seems to escalate with other posters jumping just to get a sly dig. I’m out at that point and an often interesting thread is spoilt IMHO.

mkidley
    Free Member

Whilst there’s no denying the benefit for those with genuine health issues/injuries that prevent them enjoying cycling, I cant but think this is going to be the MTB equivalent of a fat lazy bastard with otherwise perfectly functioning legs razzing around town on a mobility scooter…

bencooper
    Free Member

Or a fat lazy bastard getting an uplift to the top of a hill instead of riding it like a real man? 8)

gaz552
    Free Member

For some reason the prospect of a fat bike with a basic electric hub motor (in the rear wheel) and water bottle battery intrigues me. Though the added weight may kill the added go anywhere ability somewhat…

user-removed
    Free Member

I doubt e-bikes will ever become mainstream. Most stw types cycle in part to stay fit. We appreciate the pain side of riding, probably more than the PinkBike guys and their uplifts.

There’s little satisfaction in knowing you got to Camasunary from Sligichan using a battery and a motor ( unless, of course, you couldn’t have done it at all without the Hell, which is perfectly fine ).

user-removed
    Free Member

Hell = motor. Bloody autocorrect etc…

jameso

I can’t wait to be on here in 4 years time and read all the cyclist complaining about the motorised bike ripping up the trails. it will come.

We already have loads of promo videos from AM/enduro rippers ‘shredding the loam’ and ‘ripping up the corners’ and loads of riders think that ‘pinning’ it like that is ‘real MTB’ etc. Just look at a cover of MBUK.

The guy that wants an electric bike to reach the top of a trail is unlikely to be a major pinner (with respect to anyone using them) – what I mean is the real rippers won’t want the weight of these bikes. Hard to brake and move around well with a 60lb bike. They’ll never be cool either and we all know you gotta be cool to be Enduro. (not taking the pss, just a point)

I see loads of these things at shows, they’re mainly toys or projects to show what can be done with electrics. They won’t kill our trails – thinking that MTBing is about rad drifts is more risky and yet we’ve been on that path since 1990-odd. Relax )

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, decent brakes did more to shred up trails than electrics ever will.

It was all more fun with cantilevers 😉

oldmeany
    Free Member

i hope…. you are right… but knowing how lazy people are, i doubt it. the big players obviously think there’s a market other wise they wouldn’t invest so much money.
    The bikes like this are deffinately aimed at mainstream

oldmeany
    Free Member

i stand by my original post, these are the devils machines. just wait and see

sbob
    Free Member

Seen a few being piloted by the local alcoholics.
    I’d wager that will be the biggest market.

epicyclo

Before condemning electric assist bikes ride a good one.

It’s like you’re 18 again. 🙂

packer
    Free Member

Major over-reaction from the OP. I bet 5 years from now you won’t have even seen one of them out on the trails. Chill out.

Sancho
    Free Member

my concern isnt with the electric mountain bikes like in the pictures its with the likes of the stealth bomber which is in effect a lightweight motocross bike and if these get popular then we run the risk of all bikes being banned from trails.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m in favour of Leccy bikes, they are a great solution for many many reasons, the only drawback are the fully Leccy scooters that have been appearing that have no peddle assistance (bit like a mobility scooter except only has two wheels) there have been a few of these hacking around a small park near me a couple of yoofs zipping the gravel patched pathways and tearing up all radz. I didn’t think they were allowed on the roads but the lads ride to/from the park on them..

I saw this at the TdF show at Canary Wharf whilst the race was on and being streamed live on big screens. Had a chat with the guy and he was chatting about the Govt de restricting the laws on outputs limited to the 15mph currently in place, said something like they’ve changed the law to unrestricted them or something like..
    Anyway, he said he’d been up Snowdon on it, I suspect he’s been other places too…

[/url] by -bikebouy-[/img]

jameso

Seen a few being piloted by the local alcoholics.
    I’d wager that will be the biggest market.

Hobo-chic bike gear, can’t wait. And big rotating orange warning lights on the bars and reverse-beepers active at all times to let people know there’s a drunk on their way at 25mph : )

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve sold a reasonable number to people who have lost their licenses…

monkeychild
    Free Member

I had a go on the Scott mountain e bike (Aspect) and it was a hoot. I was giggling whilst riding it. If they get folk riding who cares? If someone overtook me on one, I am sure my ego wil survive.

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘E Bikes, the Devils machines!!’ is closed to new replies.