Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • E Bikes, the Devils machines!!
  • oldmeany
    Free Member

God help our trails when the lazy people out there buy the vast range of electric bikes (mopeds) set be everywhere very soon. Not sure how you have to have a licence for an electric scooter but you don’t for an electric mtb?? same power source, mainly faster. Hopefully these damn things will be banned from trail centres!!!
    Seems the world of “Bicycles” have been taken over by the money men, again.
    This will lead to major issues in already sensitive trails.
    How any proper bike company can promote these things beggers belief.
    We need to speak out now!!

oldnpastit

I thought they had to be limited to 15mph to qualify as an electric bike?

And the power output is limited to 250W.

So they might cause damage to trails but it will be insignificant compared to the damage that a moped/MX bike could cause, no more than a reasonably fit bloke on a Strava run.

Andy-R

Just get one of these and beat them at their own game? 8)

Sandwich

The power assistance drops off a cliff once you reach 15 mph then you end up pedalling a heavy bike. A very heavy bike. Our hire one is 60 lbs in weight.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Seems the world of “Bicycles” have been taken over by the money men, again.

😆

samuri
    Free Member

I thought they had to be limited to 15mph to qualify as an electric bike?

You can still fit an aftermarket kit to a normal bike and there’s no restriction. Those things are fast! One left me when I was doing 28mph on the flat and it left me like I was stood still.

What’s far more important is the number of Strava KOM’s that will be falling to these things.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I can’t see many being used on trails so I wouldn’t get so excited/het up! Love the fact that many are cheaper than “mid-range bikes suitable for upgrading” that seem so popular in current reviews. Look a good idea for commuters especially if they reduce car use.

johnnystorm

I’m no more scared of these taking Strava KOMs than I am of someone on a moped or knowledge of digital EPO.

martymac

if i could buy a kit which had a 100 mile range to retrofit to my ss P7, i would probably get rid of my car.
    im not paying as much as a half decent car for it though.
    ive ridden one, it was surprisingly nippy, but it cost £2K, and had sub deore level components.
    too expensive.

rickmeister

Look a good idea for commuters especially if they reduce car use.

Exactly the reason for the popularity here in Germany…

cookeaa

The Phrase “Electric Bike” make me think more of a leccy motorcycle TBH, if you aren’t going to pedal you may as well go the whole hog IMO This has to be my favourite
    Semi-illiterate fella manages to make a pretty decent stab at putting a leccy motor in a Suzuki DRZ…

TBH Electrical bicycles are not such a terrible thing, I’ve seen them used by people round my way who clearly wish to stay mobile but have some health or injury issue to get around, I’d much prefer those that can ride one to use a leccy bicycle than one of those deadly scooters TBH.

Plus they’re hardly cheap, I don’t imagine Jonny A4 will be chopping in his Five for one any time soon… The Stravanistra will carry on spending their £3K+ on Carbon Bling, replica team kits and continue to smash those KOMs the old fashioned way… by leaving their Garmin on for the drive home.

bencooper
    Free Member

Okay, there’s a few different types of e-bike I’ve built:

Legal ones – limited to 200W (technically 250W isn’t road legal) and 15mph, mostly used by commuters or older people.

Non-legal ones – I’ve built them with 2kW motors, or able to do 35mph. Lots of fun, but the extra weight (6-8kg) means they’re less chuckable offroad.

I don’t think they’re a serious threat to your fun.

Edric64
    Free Member

I think leccy assisted bikes are a great idea if people who wouldnt normally buy a bike get them as it takes a car off the road .I have seen a bloke who doesnt drive using one with a mule trailer for his Tesco shop

Northwind

They let people who otherwise couldn’t get out on a bike. This is good.

cookeaa

Question – is a 2kw Electric bicycle completely illegal, or would it just need licencing by the DVLA as an “Electric motorcycle” for road use instead?

Not that I plan on owning one, just interested like…

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a motorbike – so needs single-vehicle type approval, licence plates, tax, insurance, full-face helmet etc etc.

However the 2kW Heinzmann motors I used have a top speed of 16mph – you’d have to be an expert to tell that it wasn’t road legal. The only giveaway is it’ll still do 16mph up a 1-in-6 hill 😉

So there are a few in use on the road…

Andy-R

bencooper – Member
    Yes, it’s a motorbike – so needs single-vehicle type approval, licence plates, tax, insurance, full-face helmet etc etc.

A full-face helmet certainly isn’t a legal requirement for riding any motorcycle.

bencooper
    Free Member

Ah, I’m not an expert on motorbike legislation – I guess I mean motorbike helmet as compared to bicycle helmet.

oldmeany
    Free Member

I’m was going to say I’m amazed by the promotion the electric mountain bike is getting but, I’m not when I stop and think,its all financial at the end of the day and nothing to do with cycling.
    Yes i can understand the need for commuters to get around but surely that’s taken care of by the electric scooter!! Why oh why do we need an electric “pedal” cycle. Also how can it be legal? I used to own an NS Quickly moped many years ago and that had pedals but still needed a licence.

But my main concern; being an avid mountain biker of 30 years is the damage and disruption this is going to cause to our already sensitive trails plus the danger this will bring with increased speeds up hill. Yes i can here you now; but they are restricted to 15 miles and hour. But like many motor scooters out there now, users soon find ways to boost this and before we know it we will have electric motor cross bikes everywhere. People are inherently lazy FACT!

For me all electric powered bikes should come under the same laws as electric scooters and motor bikes. They are not human powered! FACT!!!

I think several steps should be taken now such as;
    Banning them from all trail centres.
    The introduction of the same restrictions for use as motorised vehicles.
    The “Bicycle trade” to stop promoting motorised bikes!!
    lastly Bike Biz, you might as well include all motorised bikes, why stop and electric. Crazy!
    As for the Cycle show. Half of it is now Electric! One major reason i won’t be attending!!

Wake up! We are in the bicycle business remember!!

The definition of a bicycle – a vehicle with two wheels in tandem, propelled by pedals connected to the rear wheel by a chain, and having handlebars for steering and a saddle like seat.
    and

bicycle (?ba?s?k ? l)

— n
    1. cycle , Often shortened to: bike a vehicle with a tubular metal frame mounted on two spoked wheels, one behind the other. The rider sits on a saddle, propels the vehicle by means of pedals that drive the rear wheel through a chain, and steers with handlebars on the front wheel.
    do you get the feeling I’m not a fan! Lol

ton

what a complete tosspot you sound.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ton’s right you know.

The nice people at GoCycle lent me one of these for a summer a while ago. It was chipped. It was teh awsumz.

Ebikes are a great idea, they get more people on bikes and out of their cars. They help people with certain medical needs to ride more. All good!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

They get people out on two wheels. Some of them will upgrade to a proper pedal bike. They are good.

thepodge
    Free Member

I know a couple of old guys who have bought e bikes & can now join the club rides again after giving up due to health.

I know I’ll buy one when my knees give up

thejesmonddingo

I hate them,our Sunday social used to be a nice relaxed pootle to a decent pub and back.Now,Geoff (75 and had one hip replacement,and waiting for the other) has got one,now we have to ride at 15mph everywhere,and the smug old git isn’t even out of breath.

ton

CFH……..you made me do a bit of sick… 😯

samuri
    Free Member

lol at Ton.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆
    It was great for hooning around town. Not sure I’d ever buy one, mind you, but great fun either way.

ton

seriously tho….kept me riding through illness, and helped me get back on a unaided bike.

lets just hope the op don’t ever get ill…..eh?

richpips
    Free Member

I know a couple of people round here have them. One aged, the other with health issues.

What would you prefer, them driving a car?

Oh, and 200W won’t get you many KOMs round these parts.

tonyg2003

I did doubletake yesterday at the bike shop in Morzine where there was an electric DH bike for rental. Even for the laziest amongst us walking a DH bike 200yds to the ski lifts isn’t the toughest of asks.

It did make me laugh getting overtaken a couple of months ago on our MTBs by a lady on a shopper riding in her wellies. She was shifting up a hill and one of our Strava-ista was most annoyed.

I’m all for electric bikes. You never know when you will need to use one!

taxi25
    Free Member

If you’ve got health issues or getting old fair enough. But it won’t end with that, it’ll be like the lazy chavs in Benidorm racing around on mobility scooters. Just another pointless toy to annoy people with.

nealglover
    Free Member

what a complete tosspot you sound.

+1

ton

can I ask all the naysayers 1 little question?

have any of you ridden a ebike?

taxi25
    Free Member

From your posts Ton I understand you’ve had health issues and had or have an e mtb. Fair enough it allows you to continue a sport you love. But why would an able bodied person use one ? If you cant be bothered to get fit ( if your able ) and pedal a bike, whats it all about, you aint being a cyclist.

ton

choice mate…..same reason a able bodied person drives a car a short journey to work, or catches a bus, we us ‘normal’ folk cycle 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

Wake up! We are in the bicycle business remember!!

Aha, I detect the faint but unmistakable odour of a LBS owner stuck in the past 😉

Are gears cheating? Suspension? Pneumatic tyres? Electric assist is just that – it helps when you can’t (or don’t want to) pedal hard enough, but it doesn’t turn your bike into a motorbike – if people want that it’s a lot cheaper and simpler to buy a motorbike.

Edric64
    Free Member

Ton ,you used yours lots whilst recovering from a long illness didnt you ? I think the idea is great seen a few oldies on them which means a Honda Jazz is at home ,and no need for insurance etc makes them affordable.

ton

Edric, I did, could still do with it somedays too.
    managed 2 long offroad week tourer on a khalkhoff and a haibike.
    both fantastic machines.

I would have missed both tours had I not being on pedal assist.

andyh2
    Free Member

Just to clarify to count as bicycle, rather than a motorcycle, an e-bike should have the pedals turning for the electric motor to operate.

bencooper
    Free Member

Just to clarify to count as bicycle, rather than a motorcycle, an e-bike should have the pedals turning for the electric motor to operate.

Not quite – under the UK EAPC laws, to be classed as a bicycle it must have a continuous power output of 200W or less, a top speed (under power) of 15mph, and weigh no more than 40kg. No requirement for a pedal sensor.

But under the EU type approval regulations (which cover what can be constructed and sold) the limits are 250W, 25km/h and must be a pedelec (i.e. the motor only works when pedalling).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘E Bikes, the Devils machines!!’ is closed to new replies.