Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 420 total)
  • E bike rant
  • rydster
    Free Member

More riding = more fun to me.

I do wonder though, does the e-biker of today really have more fun that he/she would have done 30 years ago on a rigid MTB? Are there really more smiles?

singlespeedstu

You seem to have missed the rest of my post…

More bike time is always more fun in my world

A direct answer to your question though is yes my Ebike is a lot more fun than my first MTB back in 86.

Rigid bikes with road geo and plastic brakes were no fun at all compared to MX/Enduro bikes of the time…

Modern bike however are a lot closer on the fun front.

rydster
    Free Member

A direct answer to your question though is yes my Ebike is a lot more fun than my first MTB back in 86.

It’s my feeling that fun levels just normalise out as technology gets faster/stronger/better.

When I was a kid I could have loads of fun on a shitty BMX, but now that I’ve experienced long travel bikes and specially design trails it would be hard to go back, but If I’d never experienced the latter I think I would still be having loads of fun on the old shitty bikes.

You get the adrenaline or dopamine hit and then get used to it.

singlespeedstu

Good luck with turning time back then…

therealthing
    Free Member

They should only be available in NHS colourways

Hearing aid beige or zimmer frame grey?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have just bought an ebike. First ride tomorrow. Cannae wait.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

When I was a kid I could have loads of fun on a shitty BMX, but now that I’ve experienced long travel bikes and specially design trails it would be hard to go back…

Oh, I don’t know; I have a progressive geo long(ish) travel bike that is far more capable than I am, and I love a good purpose-built trail – but I have just as much fun mooching about on my rigid SS on byways and bridleways. Maybe I need an E-bike..!

Inbred456
    Free Member

What’s Strava?

kerley
    Free Member

The most fun I had on a bike was on BMX between age of 10 and 18.  I have bought BMXes since then and last one was when I was in my forties but it is just not the same now.  I do enjoy riding the bike that I ride (which is clearly why I ride it) but 99.99% of people would go nowhere near riding a bike like it so only the individual can decide what bike is fun for them.

kerley
    Free Member

What’s Strava?

I don’t know, what’s Google?

tjagain

I have to say it really amuses me that someone gets so upset that e bike riders are stealing their strava placings.  * points and laughs*

patrickross
    Free Member

If you stop looking at them as a sporting good and more of as a hobby item they make more sense.

Less maintenance then a jet ski.

Cheaper then a Porsche.

Don’t need a motorbike licence and she won’t mind as much.

Takes up less space then a boat.

More blingy and more dick swinging factor then a set of golf clubs.

They will make you a nice cup of tea as they massage £5k out of you for a £1200 bike with a golf caddy motor attached.

And best of all, after you’ve spent 45 mins fannying around in the car park with mode selection, and inexplicably skidding around then pumping your fork up and down 500 times…

I don’t see where I was going with this.

I just hope golf becomes the new cycling again soon.

nealglover
    Free Member

And best of all, after you’ve spent 45 mins fannying around in the car park with mode selection

One click on

Two clicks to get EMTB mode.

Off we go…… Maybe 3 seconds wasted (if I click reeeaally slow)

rOcKeTdOg

One click on

Two clicks to get EMTB mode.

Off we go…… Maybe 3 seconds wasted (if I click reeeaally slow)

no time needed at all as you can adjust on the move as you pedal away

RickDraper
    Free Member

I was totally against E-Bikes until yesterday when I had a go on one, what a revelation! It was a top spec Merida and even in economy mode it was amazing. It is making me re-evaluate my future bike plans!

taxi25
    Free Member

I have to say it really amuses me that someone gets so upset that e bike riders are stealing their strava placings.  * points and laughs*

Why does it amuse you ???? Genuinely interested.  E-bikes have their own section, would it amuse you to log your rides in the running section ??

tjagain

It amuses me that someone takes it so seriously that a ebike rider not declaring as an ebike upsets them.  Really?  Taking strava that seriously?  Does it matter in any way?  I ride for fun.  anyone doing anything on an ebike makes no difference to my fun. someone putting something into strava makes no difference to my fun.

Is your ego really that fragile ?

Moses

E-bikes are fun. Why not enjoy them? Mrs Moses has a road e-bike, which lets her cycle farther than she could before. Faster, too. It’s great for a hilly commute, it’s good for days out.

Have a go, you might be surprised.

flybywire
    Free Member

So are quad & mx bikes are “fun” – assisted with an engine or motor.

Riding mtbs (or any type of bike non assisted) for a long time, then come along e-bikes and piss all over your efforts. Strava is great to compete with yourself & others – Ebikes make a mockery of it!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’ve been watching the eMTB channel on youtube a lot recently and they do look like a lot of fun. They’ve explored the workout aspect of them and its certainly possible to get just as good a workout as on a normal bike- you just go 2-3 times further and have 2-3 times more downhill fun. Also the stuff you can ride up is insane and they seem to do just as well on jumps drops- in fact better as you are effectively riding what was a downhill bike only a few years ago. I’m thinking about hiring one but I’m worried it’ll put me off normal bikes.

taxi25
    Free Member

It amuses me that someone takes it so seriously that a ebike rider not declaring as an ebike upsets them.  Really?  Taking strava that seriously?  Does it matter in any way?

It’s nor a case of taking strava “that seriously,” simply that many people enjoy the leaderboards, and you take pleasure in seeing their enjoyment spoiled. Who are you to judge what other people do or don’t enjoy ?? There’s only one reason I can think of is that your a massive prick. There I said it, somebody had to, and if it gets me a ban so what.

“Fragile ego” I don’t really have one, there’s no way I can go faster than a bicycle with an engine, the same as no e-mtb is faster than my MX bikes.

kerley
    Free Member

I ride for fun.

So do I and part of that fun is being fastest, top ten etc,. on various Strava segments.  Is it wrong for me to enjoy that just because you don’t?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Well, it really is handbags stuff in this thread! Some people need to count to ten or go for a cold shower.

Anyway, first outing today. Fantastic. There is going to be a bit of re-learning required as it is a little different from acoustic riding, but as someone who swaps between single speed, fat bike, hardtail and fs trailbike, it’s just another string to learn. I like learning, and I reckon there is always a positive feedback to every other bike from any progress made or insight developed.

The assist is amazing, but I still found myself working hard. Essentially the climbs were faster, easier, and more fun.

tjagain

flybywire – with your user name?

Compete with yourself yes – but with others you don’t know?  Get upset when someone with an e bike beats you?  I just don’t get it and it amuses me someone takes strava that seriously.

Edit – taxi – really that angry and its that important to you?  sorry if my amusement annoys you – and no I won’t report the post.

taxi25
    Free Member

Well I apologise for calling you a name tj At least the massive bit 😉

But the angry isn’t about Strava, i don’t get angry about that, I flag E-mtb rides that come on to the leaderboards , not because I’m angry about them, just because it’s more fun for everyone (who cares) to have honest leader boards. I got miffed about why someone would enjoy seeing someone elses fun spoiled. I don’t like football, but have nothing but support for those who do. I’d get equally cross if someone tried to spoil their fun, its just the way I am.

geex
    Free Member

Some people need to count to ten or go for a cold shower.

Hmm… preferably a hot shower. I generally prefer my spit roast clean and trimmed.

Ebike fear is funnyAF. Take this utterly clueless idiot for example

you just can’t play with the trail, pump and make gaps in the same way.

Give them a keyboard and they roast themselves.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I just can’t play with the trail, pump and make gaps in the same way.

FTFY bro.

therealthing
    Free Member

Is your ego really that fragile ?

Ha, somewhere in Canada Alanis Morissette just exploded

geex
    Free Member

somewhere in Canada Alanis Morissette just exploded

still would tho

vickypea
    Free Member

Regarding the Strava argument you could also ask why e-bikers would want to compete on the Strava leaderboards against regular bikes. Do they have fragile egos perhaps?

(For the record, I stopped using Strava a year ago so this doesn’t affect me personally)

therealthing
    Free Member

There’s only one reason I can think of is that your a massive prick. There I said it, somebody had to, and if it gets me a ban so what.

Ha 😄

Dont ban him!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I wish I could afford one. Am well jel

tjagain

Ban him – for the bad grammar?  your / you’re / yore / yaw?

Or should it be You have not is ?

Or maybe just remove the “a”  ” Your massive prick”?

Poopscoop

Can’t we all come together and agree that e-bikes should be banned off road?

And…… flounce!

z1ppy

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>vickypea
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Member</div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Regarding the Strava argument you could also ask why e-bikers would want to compete on the Strava leaderboards against regular bikes. Do they have fragile egos perhaps?

</div>

No, I think it’s just a case that many don’t realise they have an strava ebike setting and others just like to be arseholes, same as everyday life really.

geex
    Free Member

Despite the passive agression in your question I’ll actually answer it honestly from my point of view. I’ve used strava since its beginning and recored thousands of rides and still do (to record mileage more than anything these days) but in the last 3 years or so it’s been set to upload everything privately. I rarely ever make my rides public. I don’t upload Ebike rides in the ebike section because there are very few segments there, I can’t compare my times to my own old times and the majority of Ebike riders on strava aren’t very quick descenders. (this should change in time) If I’ve had a good day and know I was riding well/fast I’ll look at the results. If I’ve had a PR on a steep enough trail where pedalling doesn’t come into it I’ll sometimes upload it. Same as I might do if I’d been riding one of my non-Ebikes. My Emtb is pretty much the same speed as my Enduro bike descending steep trails so I don’t see I’ve cheated anybody riding a 16lb heavier bike I didn’t use pedal assist on. Apart from being fresher at the start of the descent. Similar to if I’d been uplifted there.

doomanic

It would help if the milkfloat option could be set as default. I sometimes forget to change the activity when uploading and have to do it later. Usually when some Strava Queen has a cry.

stevedoc
    Free Member

My first instance of an Ebike was 2 years ago at Marin, me and a friend were slogging up the fireroad when an uncouth oik came past claiming this was the only way to ride and when we caught up to him at the top and saw him smoking a massive herbal joint he became that years Audi driver !!  and was instantly disliked and all like him!

Since then a two other friends one who has a bad back and another  whos always had a poor heart have bought them and started riding again.. brilliant they are out and about. A third friend who clocked 5k miles last year and was always good for a 40 mile lakeland special  has just bought one, obviously hes been called all the names under the sun    about needing it, but since he does photography as well the ability to use it to get to places where carrying a load of gear as well would be an arse is beneficial.  I have had a go and while its much fun  doing climbs with little or no effort or setting speed cameras off (its been chipped)  i also think its bloody dangerous.  For one i know i would find myself using trail or turbo almost all the time meaning the need for a normally aspirated bike would go out the window. And secondly as a road user too home any car drivers will see a bike and think “oh i can make that ” pull out and before you know it there s an ebike in the rear of the car ,  they have their place but not for me just yet, as i imagine trying to hike a bike and shoulder a 25kg beast up  Helvellyn might be a struggle..

Poopscoop

Geex

My Emtb is pretty much the same speed as my Enduro bike descending steep trails so I don’t see I’ve cheated anybody riding a 16lb heavier bike I didn’t use pedal assist on. Apart from being fresher at the start of the descent. 

Wouldn’t some say having all that weight low down enhance handling though?😏😁

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Helvellyn might be a struggle..

Not a great example, you’d easily climb Keppel cove on an e-bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 420 total)

The topic ‘E bike rant’ is closed to new replies.