Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Dyfi bike park for mortals?
  • lister

Planning a trip to Antur Stiniog in October and I guess they have an event on as there is no availability for the weekend we want.
    What is Dyfi Bike Park for a bunch of 40+ year olds who have been riding for years and can mince their way down most things at Stiniog?
    Jumping massive gaps isn’t our thing; more flowy bermy fun with some steep rough chucked in for fun.
    Will we:
    A; have fun
    B; be able to ride any of it
    C; die?

Many thanks for real reviews!

stwhannah

No gap jumps on the reds, just tables. I didn’t have time to check out the black routes but I think you could have plenty of fun on the reds for the day. They’re worth repeating so you can figure out the speed etc needed to clear the jumps.

lister

But will we die? We’re quite old and snappable.

Northwind

It still looks pretty jumpy, is that fair, or is it just that jumps are easier to video and get more attention? (BMCC’s videos make it look like it’s mostly jumps but there’s way more going on there, frinstance…)

luket

I drove into the car park at Dyfi, through the huge tree trunk gates, the big sponsorship laser cut things and all the vans in the car park with their event shelters and bikes on stands and thought “christ, this is way out of my league.” It was sopping wet as well. But I had a fantastic day. I like techy stuff but I’m not a great rider and I’m also mid 40s. Didn’t ride the slab track but enjoyed the other blacks massively. I’m itching to go back. I can’t do big jumps either but Dyfi seems to make rough stuff flow and although there are a couple of trails that are more about the bigger jumps they don’t have to be what your day is about by any stretch. And a massive thumbs up to whoever decided to put a roof over the uplift queue. Best day of my recent week of Welsh uplifts.

5lab

You’ll be grand. There’s a bermy trail with almost no jumps and a bunch of tech trails. Slab track isn’t even particularly difficult.

Take spare tubes and rear tyre thou, the place gives flats like nowhere else

stwhannah

Some of the jumps need a bit of speed and commitment because they have such high sides, but it’s all tables so you can case your way down as you please! I wouldn’t take my kids but if you can tackle a table and a berm I think there’s plenty fun to be had. How old is old and snappable? That Canyon rider in the video is 56 (and has snapped quite a lot I suppose!).

mrhoppy

It’s good fun if there are a bunch of incompetents as the reds are all rollable. It’s more jumps and berms with limited tech on the reds. 50 hits is also fairly “straight forward”.

nedrapier

my BIL lives down the road, and they bump into the Athertons here and there. Middle son is well keen on riding and they said he should def come and ride. He’s 9.

I spent a day there recently, did a day’s coaching with Al Bond. I was on my hardtail, rode reds and blacks. Had a bloody brilliant day. Beats you up way less than BPW – there’s much less of the choppy, repeated, square-edged rocky sections that take it of your hands and forearms.

lister

A little update/review.

It’s ace and we didn’t die or snap!
    The initial approach into the carpark is pretty intimidating and I’d say the standard of the average rider there is ‘**** amazing’ but once we got over the early nerves and got a feel for the place then it’s great.
    Lovely staff, world champions driving landies and just wandering around being nice. Cafe is good and the uplift is good…a bit slow, inevitably considering the terrain, but gains a lot of height.
    We only rode Super Swooper and 50 Hits but were more than happy with that.
    Super Swooper is fast, pretty rough and a huge amount of fun. Breaks into 3 fairly distinct sections which are easy to get to know.
    50 Hits is hilarious for people who can’t jump! I just chuckled my way through 50 cases off massive jumps. Good fast steep stuff in there too.

We’ll be going again and I’d really like to do a coaching day there to see if I can finally clear a jump!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dyfi bike park for mortals?’ is closed to new replies.