Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Dusty in here
  • Cougar

NHS worker has his bike nicked. You Won’t Believe What Happened Next, or something. See the replies. I was emo before I started reading this, I’m in bits now.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Since the lock down started, we’ve seen an increase in metal theft from the electrical network. Not only is it a dangerous thing to do but it means people off supply and people having to go out and fix it.

Times like this bring out the best in some people, and the worst in others. My normally liberal response to the second type is changing. I’d now happy see a kill order on them.

It’s hard to use the bikes we do have right now, why would someone steal one? There are no pubs open where they can go to sell it for the price of a quick fix and you don’t need to be a rocket surgeon to work out the consequences of nicking one from a hospital.

big_scot_nanny

Fabulous!

rOcKeTdOg

❤️

tjagain

As one of the scots politicians said ” its at times like this we will see the worst of people and the best of people”

matt_outandabout

I thought I was bad having the orange version of those Shimano shoes…

Good effort people.

Sandwich

Someone get that worker a better lock.

weeksy

It’s nice, but didn’t raise an emotion in me

tjagain

Sandwich – hiplock said they would give him one

I have to say tho – why do so many folk use such rubbish locks!

djflexure

Hospitals have always been a hotbed for theft
    I find it disgusting but it won’t change
    I have to lock my bike in my office to be confident it will be there at the end of the day

damascus
    Free Member

It was in the hospital bike park with cctv. Its not why do people use rubbish locks, it’s why do employers provide inadequate security for staffs bikes.

tjagain

Ok at the risk of thread drift – using a proper lock has saved me 3 times from having a bike stolen. Hospitals do the basics for secure storage – more than they do for cars IME

StuF
    BadlyWiredDog

It was in the hospital bike park with cctv. Its not why do people use rubbish locks, it’s why do employers provide inadequate security for staffs bikes.

It’s part of a bigger picture where there’s a dearth of secure bike parking everywhere. I had a hospital appointment a few months back where the logical way of getting there was by bike, but there was absolutely nowhere I could have left it and been confident it would have been there when I returned. By contrast, there was lots of expensive, heavily regulated car parking. I get that many patients will need to use cars, but we should be promoting cycling and facilitating bike use for transport.

scaredypants

I used to work at that hospital a long while ago – my car (I was young; I didn’t know) was broken in / stolen so often that I used to take the steering wheel off and had a sign in the window saying so, and that there was NOTHING stealable in the car

Hospital I’m now at has pretty good bike parking (more recently anyway) … and a 12 month waiting list for lockers in the changing rooms

Poopscoop

Bloody great that he got so many offers for help and seems sorted now for a new bike.👍

DezB
    Free Member

weeksy
    It’s nice, but didn’t raise an emotion in me

Same: Social media numbness.

I was at work this week – didn’t even lock my Tripster up.

ratherbeintobago

I’ve just realised I know the chap who’s bike got nicked.

MoreCashThanDash

Quite local to us, got a lot of publicity on the cycle club page, with a lot of offers of bikes, including a club member connected to a bike brand.

Thieves and bikes now found by the Police

cannyj
    Free Member

Dan is a mate of mine and a top bloke. Refused all the offers of gofundme and other cash as he says he is well paid and it’s probably covered by his insurance. He been given a replacement and had offers from other generous folks and companies.
    He’s planning to auction off the gifted bike after the CV 19 calms down.
    I used to work at that hospital 20 years ago and bike thefts from the supposed secure compound were an issue then!
    He has also set up a Facebook page to try to match up bike donations with NHS workers who have had their bikes knicked or to use them for getting out on for their mental well being. Please visit the page, like, share and follow and of course if you need to n-1 for a great cause, please help out an NHS worker! #bikerescue4NHS
    Any thoughts on the page and thinking behind it always appreciated, I’m an admin on there. Thanks people!

kelvin

Yeah, the way he is re-directing and coordinating the offers of help to help other NHS staff made me tingle. Great stuff.

CountZero

Just read this post, excellent results all round, again, this shows the worst, but it shows the best even better.

reluctantjumper

Great to read that, really does make good come out of a bad situation.

Sure I read on facebook that one of the Gloucester-based bike charities were offering bikes to the key workers, someone mentioned a few thefts of bikes at the local hospital and they sorted them out.

Bike thefts are bad enough at the best of times but now? From a hospital? Words fail.

Cougar

Looks like they’ve arrested two

Excellent, thanks for the update.

Dan is a mate of mine and a top bloke. [etc]

Great, now I’m snivelling at my keyboard again. What an absolute legend (and not in a pork scratchings kind of way.)

ratherbeintobago

@cannyj That’s all good to hear. He is indeed a top bloke; have met him a few times at conferences various.

frankconway

Great outcome; dan is clearly a top man.
    Ribble and Chris boardman also come out of this really well.
    Great that police have the scrotes involved; maximum possible sentences please – there is no possible mitigation.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Someone get that worker a better lock.

It was locked inside a locked staff compound. I guess he thought that was enough?

I had my bike nicked from work, INSIDE the office. Must have seen it through the mirrored glass while the office lights were on and came back at 2am, broke a window, got in, took bike, rode off. It wasn’t locked as hey, I kinda thought it was safe inside a building that was surrounded by CCTY and alarmed with security patrols through the night. Nope. (And it was my birthday – had left my bike to go for a birthday meal!). On a +ve note it was insured so technically I got a new bike for my birthday.

nickc

heh-Victim blaming much?

Sandwich

It was locked inside a locked staff compound. I guess he thought that was enough?

For an honest person yes. Unfortunately we honest types get disabused of this by the scumbags out there.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Dusty in here’ is closed to new replies.