Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Duffy : hellish story!
  • grtdkad

Singer Duffy ‘drugged, raped and held captive’

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51637265

A horrendous experience – can only assume that there will be an investigation by the police. Unless it’s already happened / happening and there’s some sort of media blackout???

johndoh
    Free Member

I had assumed, as she has been out of the media spotlight for more than 10 years, it happened some time ago (probably around the time of her successes in 2008) and it is only now she is able to talk about it (presumably because she is now in a place where she feels able to move on)?

Edit: On reading the article in detail (I had only skim-read it before) what I had assumed appears to be the case…

But I can tell you in the last decade, the thousands and thousands of days I committed to wanting to feel the sunshine in my heart again, the sun does now shine.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, heard about this – it was a while ago. Horrible story – no media blackout, she just didn’t feel able to talk about it, understandable really

frankconway

The BBC reported it as a fact; it appears to be a claim or allegation.
    I do not, for a moment, downplay the horror of rape but this must be investigated by the police and, if there is a case, prosecuted.

johndoh
    Free Member

I do not, for a moment, downplay the horror of rape but this must be investigated by the police and, if there is a case, prosecuted.

As it happened some time ago (and given her profile at the time) perhaps it was investigated but a media blackout was put in place. For all we know, the perpetrator may have been convicted. And I assume there will be lots of digging by unscrupulous investigative journalists now so I hope she is prepared for what may now come out.

stumpyjon

I wondered why she hadn’t had any follow up hits. Sounds like she’s ready to face the world again which is good, hope the press don’t do a Caroline Flack on her.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The BBC reported it as a fact; it appears to be a claim or allegation.

We must have read a different report.

On the version that I read, linked in the OP, the BBC reported the fact that she had posted on Instagram and directly quoted from her post, going so far as to put the allegation in quotation marks in the headline and  adding that they had attempted to contact her for clarity.

Whilst this is clearly a horrible, distressing situation for the lady involved, I don’t see any issue with BBC’s reporting of it.

DezB
    Free Member

“Please respect this is a gentle move for me to make, for myself, and I do not want any intrusion to my family. Please support me to make this a positive experience.”

+
    The BBC attempted to contact Duffy to confirm the details of her post.

Nice one bbc

perchypanther
    Free Member

“If you have any questions I would like to answer them,

+

The BBC attempted to contact Duffy to confirm the details of her post.

Reasonable move BBC?

DezB
    Free Member

Well, that was to her followers on instabollox.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nice one bbc

Presumably they have to show they did due diligence, offer the subjects the right to reply etc on a story before publishing it?

Could just mean “we phoned her agent and got a no comment”.

natrix
    Free Member

I wondered why she hadn’t had any follow up hits.

Her second album did not do very well at all, possibly or possibly not related to her hellish experience………….

boomerlives
    Free Member

Reasonable move BBC?

Just coz something is on Insta doesn’t mean it’s come from the official source. Fair play to check and were not confirmed, to say so.

They aren’t saying she’s lying, just that it’s on the web and unattributed.

maccruiskeen

Reasonable move BBC?

responsible move by the bbc. If you publish a story about someone you have to offer then the right to reply.

DenDennis
    Free Member

It is my understanding that posting allegations or details about an ongoing case or future case on social media would very much prejudice any legal proceedings.

On this basis I’d hope she’s already had the perpetrator(s) brought to justice long ago.

CountZero

And I assume there will be lots of digging by unscrupulous investigative journalists now so I hope she is prepared for what may now come out.

It appears that the usual scumbag trolls inhabiting the nether regions of the internet are already active, which shouldn’t come as any sort of surprise; any hint of a vulnerability and they swarm like flies on shit. 🤬

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Duffy : hellish story!’ is closed to new replies.