Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • DT Swiss M1700 Front Wheel Bearings
  • excitable1
    Free Member

Anyone else struggling with bearing life in their front wheel bearings on the DT Swiss hubs ?

I’m going through them like a dose of salts having changed them 3 times in the last 9 months. Even after a few dry months and just a couple of wet rides I’ve just gone to check them again and one side is running dry of grease and the other side is running full of rusty paste !

alexnharvey
    Free Member

Pop the seals and fill the next pair with a better grease before fitting and see how you got on. Land Rover CV joint grease is a decent choice. Sometimes you can leave the inner seals off and use the hub body cavity as a grease reservoir.

excitable1
    Free Member

Removed the seals with the last set and filled them full of water proof grease and they’ve still not lasted the course ! I can’t even see how the water is getting in because they have an end cap system that you have to hammer in place that keeps crap away from the bearings.

alexnharvey
    Free Member

Are you cleaning the bike with anything that might affect the grease, high pressure or strong detergents? What bearings are you using for replacements? Are the seals full or light contact?

I see the argument for a waterproof grease. However if it is relatively thick (nlgi2?) it may not keep the seal lips wetted with oil and that can cause them to wear prematurely. That’s why I am suggesting a thinner grease.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘DT Swiss M1700 Front Wheel Bearings’ is closed to new replies.